Anxiety

Options
Has anyone experiences severe panic attacks even after lite exercise. I don't know why this is happening but it's discouraging. I jogged in place for 5 minutes and had the worst panic attack. :(

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I have two friends who recently discovered that caffeine triggered their attacks. Any chance you had a large coffee just before exercising?
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Open up your food log so we can help. You might not be eating enough food or drinking enough fluids.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I cut out caffeine and it helped quite a bit. But the thing that helps me the most is cutting out sugar. Sugar does a hell of a number on my moods. I'm currently on day 4 of the Primal Blueprint with my carbs set at 87g and I feel amazing. Haven't had even a tiny feeling of anxiety and my back pain (Osteoarthritis) seems to have disappeared.
  • jhamilton0206
    jhamilton0206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ate breakfast before hand so no caffeine :( I can't drink coffee bc like your friend it gives me massive anxiety.
  • jhamilton0206
    Options
    I opened up my diary log.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary log.

It's still private
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Could it be because exercise and panic attacks are sort of the same mechanism (increased breathing and heart rate)? Maybe it's not a panic attack but it feels the same and triggers a panic attack?

My only suggestion is breathing slower and at a certain pace (like conscious breathing) counting breaths in and out - sounds a bit dumb but it really helped me when I started running.
  • thegamingmatrix
    thegamingmatrix Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What are you thinking about before it happens?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I ate breakfast before hand so no caffeine :( I can't drink coffee bc like your friend it gives me massive anxiety.

What about soda? There seems to be some most days in your diary and that has caffeine (unless you're choosing caffeine-free varieties). I found that I was getting palpitations a lot and my doctor couldn't find a reason - it was only when I cut right back on coffee, tea and soda that I saw an improvement. Things like chocolate (including hot chocolate) also have caffeine.

It might be worth trying to cut back a bit and find alternatives, to see if that helps you at all?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety while working out, which is new for me. Personally, it was if I was not paying attention to breathing. While running, I would start to panic because I could not take a deep breath. Really focusing on improving that has helped. Maybe doing some light meditation before a workout may help you relax.

I also agree that it might be worth experimenting caffeine levels. I never saw a change in my anxiety levels with or without it, but some people find a lot of success skipping caffeine.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Could it be because exercise and panic attacks are sort of the same mechanism (increased breathing and heart rate)? Maybe it's not a panic attack but it feels the same and triggers a panic attack?

My only suggestion is breathing slower and at a certain pace (like conscious breathing) counting breaths in and out - sounds a bit dumb but it really helped me when I started running.
    No that's the opposite of what happens.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

No that's the opposite of what happens.

Are you sure? @berolcolour's post makes sense to me and seems to be confirmed by @vespiquenn's post. I can think of three times I had a panic attack and now that I think of it, all three times my breathing had been affected (don't know about the heart rate part). Once it happened when I was getting toner applied to my hair and the way the hairdresser was leaning over me seemed to keep the fumes closed in and I found myself suddenly feeling very panicked. I had to really struggle not to shove her. There were only peaceful thoughts swirling round in my head until that moment.

Sounds to me like OP should ramp up exercise intensity very gradually rather than diving into exercise that is vigorous enough to leave you breathless.

I have hope for you OP, that regular exercise (even if it's not as vigorous as you'd like) will help with your anxiety/panic attacks enough that you can run eventually.

• jhamilton0206
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much! That might be exactly it. Exercise mimics the heart rate, lightheadness that comes with panic attacks so maybe my body tricks itself into thinking its having one! I'm not used to the feeling of why it feels like after I'm done exercising so that could def be it!
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this is totally random, but how did you get the cute food emojis next to your meal titles in your food diary? They're so cute!
  • jhamilton0206
    Options
    I did it on the computer I believe. It's been awhile lol
  • lexi3500
    lexi3500 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you girl anxiety,
    Depression I know u feel ..
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much! That might be exactly it. Exercise mimics the heart rate, lightheadness that comes with panic attacks so maybe my body tricks itself into thinking its having one! I'm not used to the feeling of why it feels like after I'm done exercising so that could def be it!

If that is it, try lifting your chin (opens your airway) and taking a long breath out - lightheadedness is often caused by breathing in too much oxygen (while feeling like you aren't getting enough, thanks brain!) so a long breath out helps (helps me anyway!)
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I suffered from anxiety for about 5 years and you are completely right, anything that mimics the same bodily experience as a panic attack may trigger one (or even worrying about having another attack can bring one on). I'm a natural scatter-brain and every time I panicked for a second because I couldn't remember where I put my keys, phone, ID etc. it would spark and attack, even when I was medicated. It was a nightmare.

Here's the good news though. Meditation really does work. There's lots of scientific evidence to back that up. TM gets some of the best results, if you're not religious or into the woo-woo, Acem is a secular version with all the 'hippy' stripped away and has similar results.

Hope that helps!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have found that exercise can trigger panic attacks. as was said, there is a lot of similarities between the two and after i start exercise-super hard hiking, half marathon, etc, that's when it happens. my anxiety jumps on board the exercise feelings. and then i get a panic attack.

i've found that creating separation between me and my body-meditation like helps me work past the panic