Is 12 stone fat?

Options
I'm 11st 12lb (166 pounds) but I always struggle to loose weight even when exercising a lot and eating less. People have told me that I've lost weight but my weight on the scale is still the same. I do a lot of running and recently last week I got back into lifting weights. I'm 3 pounds overweight according to my BMI (I'm 5"7.5) and my measurements are: 34 (bra)-29 (waist)-40.5 (hips). I just struggle to loose weight on the scales and it's really getting me down because I weigh so much and I struggle to loose weight even though I don't eat much or if I do have a day of overeating I burn it off. I'm annoyed because I have such a crappy slow metabolism. Sometimes I wake up with aching muscles from the gym. Yesterday I did a lot of walking and my thighs and hips ache a little.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how have you been tested for a 'crappy slow metabolism'?

12 stone at your weight, is like you say 3lbs overwight according to your BMI. But the important question is, are you happy with your weight?

if yes, then maintain the weight you are now, if not then you're in the right place to do something about it!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is 12 stone fat: That depends. Someone who is 5'7" and 12 stone but who has lower than average lean body mass (muscle, bone, ligament etc) would be considered to have more fat than was healthy (i.e. outside the recommended range). Someone who has a lot of muscle (and therefore other lean body mass) could have low body fat at that height and 12 stone.

Based on your measurements and your profile picture I'd guess that you're not holding a lot of fat and I would question that weight (are you sure the scales are correct?)

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its about are you happy with your fitness and do you like the way you look? Your photo says you're attractive. I could be lighter as far as my BMI says however I am happy with they way I look and I'm fitter than I have ever been.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes and no! I'd you're working out a lot and have a small body fat percentage then it's not fat. At this point in ignore the scales and go on measurements and how you feel.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    at your height, no you aren't necessarily 'fat' at 12 stone. You could have a lot of lean muscle for one thing.
    As for saying you have slow metabolism, well thats not really a thing. When we don't lose weight its because we are eating more than we burn and also more than we think.
    Do you track your calorie intake? and do you eat back exercise calories?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm 11st 12lb (166 pounds)

OK I'm 5'8 and 11 stone 6 (160lbs) and hell no, I'm not fat ..and I would doubt 6 lbs would make me fat

but I always struggle to loose weight even when exercising a lot and eating less.

How do you know you're eating less? Are you weighing and accurately logging everything? Are you estimating your calorie burns from exercise correctly. I will categorically say you aren't ...Cos if you were eating less than you burn you would lose weight ...that's a scientific fact and you aren't magic ...you can't create matter out of nowhere

People have told me that I've lost weight but my weight on the scale is still the same. I do a lot of running and recently last week I got back into lifting weights. I'm 3 pounds overweight according to my BMI (I'm 5"7.5) and my measurements are: 34 (bra)-29 (waist)-40.5 (hips). I just struggle to loose weight on the scales and it's really getting me down because I weigh so much

Some of us weigh more than others and yet we look smaller....cos frame, genetic predisposition to where fat is stored and musculature ...the weight on the scale is pants .. I wear a size 4-6 Gap trousers, a size 10 in Phase 8, an 8 in White stuff, a 10 in M&S pants at 160lbs ...I don't think those clothes sizes, despite vanity sizing are large..this is UK sizing, American sizes would drop 4 apart from Gap which is US .

and I struggle to loose weight even though I don't eat much or if I do have a day of overeating I burn it off. I'm annoyed because I have such a crappy slow metabolism.

No you don't...98% of us fall within the same RMR parameters

Sometimes I wake up with aching muscles from the gym. Yesterday I did a lot of walking and my thighs and hips ache a little.

DOMS cos you're using muscles you haven't worked out before, or have overtaxed them...it's normal ...the fitter you get the less frequently it happens, but it still happens

Not sure what you're looking for to be honest

I hope talking to someone who also "weighs heavy" and doesn't give a flying *ferret* about that helps

But if you want to lose excess fat (do the jumping up and down in front of the mirror naked test) then you have to accurately log your food by weight and stick to an ongoing defecit

Hate to tell you this but you ain't special ...none of us are ....you just need to adhere to your defecit over the weeks and your weight will drop
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I feel that never I ever do works. I feel like I should stop running because to be honest I'm not seeing results and I can't seem to lose weight. I think I will go to get my thyroid tested. It seems like I'm destined to be fat. I just redid my measurements and I'm 41 inches round the hips and 29.5- 30 inches round the waist :(. I also measured my body fat percentage on the scales at boots and the first reading said 28.7% and the second 29.5%.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I feel that never I ever do works. I feel like I should stop running because to be honest I'm not seeing results and I can't seem to lose weight. I think I will go to get my thyroid tested. It seems like I'm destined to be fat. I just redid my measurements and I'm 41 inches round the hips and 29.5- 30 inches round the waist :(. I also measured my body fat percentage on the scales at boots and the first reading said 28.7% and the second 29.5%.

if your profile picture is you now, then you're not fat...

bodyfat scales arent accurate at all.
  • ReflectivePhase
    ReflectivePhase Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your waist measurement isn't that bad for your weight, everyone will carry it differently. At my heavest I was 12.5st 5'8 and a uk size 14 but my waist measurement was 34" personally was overweight, I looked overweight, podgy around the waist and upper arms but worst of all my health suffered. I'm now 3st lighter and it feels so much better! Be honest about what your eating, track your calories, eat healthy most of the time and enjoy the feeling of fueling your body correctly, don't deprive yourself of the things you love to eat but save them special occassions, its great that your are excercising. Keep it up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You're not eating at a defecit. You can't outrun a bad diet or too many calories.

As for the bold ...LMAO

From this you would infer one of two things

1) you put on body fat between readings

Or

2) body fat scales are a waste of space

Which was it?

• BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Depends on how tall you are. I am 12 stone (164.8lbs) but I'm 4.11-5ft so I'm defentitly obese and working on that. Started at 168 and went up to 170 at my highest and now I'm 164.8. So I'm working on it