Newbie/ wheelchair user needing to lose 2 st

Options
I'm not very active but only consume a clean diet of 1200 calories on most days. I mainly have a high protein low carb diet and limit grains and dairy to a minimum. How else can I help myself?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you been at this, and how tall are you?

Other ways to help yourself... You say you are a wheelchair user - There are plenty of exercises you can do from a wheelchair: http://www.1800wheelchair.com/news/how-to-exercise-if-you-are-wheelchair-user/
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My general advice is:
    • pick a moderate deficit
    • measure everything you at and log it
    • take your time
    • you do not need to exclude the foods you enjoy to lose weight - do not exclude whole food groups*

* I see that you eat low carb, high protein. If that works for you great but it's not a requirement for losing weight.

An area that you could look into to help is exercise. Especially strength work (to preserve muscle mass whilst you diet). The general "just lift some weights" type advice is not suitable for someone who is wheelchair bound and for any type of exercise you will need to consult with professionals who have experience with wheelchair users to ensure that the exercise is suitable and your movement/form is not compromised to the point of causing injury.

It's also worth pointing out that most calorie calculators (including MFP) will assess your daily calories based upon body mass (weight) and you may need to tweak these values if your wheelchair use is due to paraplegia or missing limbs (where you would expect your basic metabolic rate to be reduced slightly).
  • phantoma72
    phantoma72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a wheelchair user and can't walk. I did lose 8.7 kg but stayed stuck about there for months on a 1200 calorie diet. But since I have made vegetable and chicken, or beef soup thickened with potato flakes and had as much as I like I have lost another 1.6 kg very quickly. Any amount of carrots, onions, plus the protein source, chopped tomatoes, flavourings into a crock pot. Exercise is good for your health but it takes a lot of strenuous exercise to lose weight and unless you are a sporty paraplegic, I don't think it is that reliable. I have now reached a BMI of just over 23. I have a piece of toast with it.
  • sithangel84
    sithangel84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im currently in a wheelchair and working to rehabilitate myself back to walking and hopefully dancing.

Since being in a wheelchair i have really lacking exercise and dieting. If anyone can provide advice, I would really appreciate it.
  • sadchick2003
    sadchick2003 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have noticed that there's help on this community. Thank you guys!