Falling off track on the weekends

Options
Hello! I am looking for some motivation and guidance. On the weekends I "treat" myself way to often and I think this is the main reason why I am maintaining my current weight. I continue to workout through the weekend but my healthy eating goes out the window. Any tips to stop this cycle or things you do to keep on track would be much appreciated! Thank You!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I eat a little lighter during the week so I can eat a lot more on the weekend. Bank my calories, so to speak.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What seems to work in my case is that during the days of Monday-Friday I have a breakfast burrito with veggies + a protein shake. The protein shake in 1/2 cup 2% milk is close to 300 calories. On weekends, I have the breakfast burrito with veggies but not the protein shake. This gives me those calories to use for lunch. That gives me the calorie budget necessary to have a good big lunch, a small snack, and a good big dinner. I got really wild with it Saturday and jettisoned my dinner plan for a bag of movie popcorn. That stayed within my calorie budget.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat - it's usually weekends when I stop tracking, and eat and drink more. Then the remorse sets in Monday morning. Let's motivate each other to at least track over the weekend! Even if it's more of a pain. I find that if I'm at a party, it's a real pain to have to figure out "ok, I had one bite of this thing that I normally don't eat. How many calories was that? OK now onto this other thing I don't usually get. I had 1 serving of that, how many calories?" No wonder I blow off tracking food, none of it is in my usual rotation!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I eat a little lighter during the week so I can eat a lot more on the weekend. Bank my calories, so to speak.

This works for me. Very strict with myself over the week so that I have some play-room over the weekend. I continue my workouts and I do log/track over the weekends but I pretty much eat what I want... just not a lot of it :smile:

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I find it's easier to have a "routine" during the week, and weekends are harder for me as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eat lighter during the week to allow for weekend indulgence, thats what I do :smiley:
    I do still keep an eye on my weekend consumption too though as it would be very easy to undo the whole weeks good work.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to follow my week day plan for breakfast and lunch and then have my extra calories (mostly in the form of drinks) at dinner. I have figured out my daily calories in x7. Then I make an adjustment during the week so I have extra for Saturday and Sunday. I also decided a long time ago that Friday AND Sunday can't both be "the weekend" so I choose which day will be splurge days. HTH.
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    At this point, you're going to have to ask yourself which is more important? Do you want to indulge during the weekend to the point where you consistently don't reach your goals, or do you want to lose weight? Just because it's the weekend, doesn't mean healthy eating goes out the window. It's great that you continue with your exercise goals which will allow for more calories consumed. Here is my suggestion, try choosing one day during the weekend every other week and see if the scale budges. Also, don't make it a whole day of indulging, just a meal or dessert. Good luck on your journey, and I wish you success on reaching all of your goals.
  • onxystare
    onxystare Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why exactly do you think you get off track? Are you more involved in social eating, easier access to food, or is it your routine is broken? Are you eating more, or just worse? Figure out what is throwing you off on the weekends that enable you to treat yourself more than the weekdays and target that. Since I have more time on the weekends i tend to eat out of boredom, so i try to stay busy. Or earn those treats with more exercise!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think part of what you need to decide is what your lifestyle is going to be once your reach your goal. Do you usually eat more on the weekends? If yes, then eat fewer calories on weekdays to give yourself more calories on the weekend; say 100 calories less Monday - Friday which gives you an extra 500 for the weekend. There's nothing wrong with doing this.

On the other hand, if you're only eating more on the weekends because you're lacking control at home where the food is located look at ways you can curb this. Perhaps don't buy the foods that you're indulging on. Or try to find a way to distract yourself when you feel like eating but aren't really hungry.

If, however, you're eating more on the weekends because you're being too restrictive during the rest of the week you might decide to lose weight a little more slowly and up your weekly calorie goal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This^

I eat at maintenance on the weekends.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Find something fun to do during the weekend as a treat, a way to spend your time that isn't possible because of work. Like go hiking, or for a long bike ride.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Because it's the weekend you probably feel like you are on break or have the weekend off, or feel a need to treat yourself because the whole weekend is for parting mentality we get from school. It is harder for me also. "Banking" my calories for the weekend helps and planning out what I will eat is what really matters. Otherwise I don't do so well.
  • BrandonMaria77
    BrandonMaria77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Weekends can be a huge struggle for me as well
  • MarMarnie
    MarMarnie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your comments, tips, and relaibilty!!! One major thing is the break in my routine and secondly we are often out and about or at gatherings which makes for more unhealthy options to choose from. I am going to implement some of these suggstions this weekend and on! Again thanks so much!