Vegans?

Options
elephantlove38
elephantlove38 Posts: 2 Member
Any Vegetarian and or vegans out there that have any advice on how to get protein in my diet?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Tofu, beans, and nuts... Preferably protein at every meal.
    There's slot of great vegan protein powders out there too.
  • nourishinglisa
    nourishinglisa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's protein in everything so as long as you're eating enough calories you'll always get a good intake of protein
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just eat plants and forget about the protein - it will be fine.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Tofu, beans, and nuts... Preferably protein at every meal.
    There's slot of great vegan protein powders out there too.

yep.
    There's protein in everything so as long as you're eating enough calories you'll always get a good intake of protein

Nope.
    Just eat plants and forget about the protein - it will be fine.

Nope.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There are a few grains that are decent for protein, lentils, quinoa, amaranth and seeds like hemp and chia.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Just don't worry about the protein, just eat a variety of whole plant based foods and you'll be fine.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Just don't worry about the protein, just eat a variety of whole plant based foods and you'll be fine.

nope
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get my protein mostly from tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans, grains, protein powder, and vegetables. If you're struggling to get enough, try building each meal around a high protein food. I try to have beans every day and I have tofu or tempeh several times a week.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It would help to know your body weight, age group, and gender.

If you are female and weight less then 126 then you can pretty easily get the 46 g of Protein a day (as long as you are smart about it)

I need 100 g a day. The minimum is (.36 per pound of body weight) I haven't read any real evidence that you need more then that, but there is an absorption issue (protein is absorbed better from plants) so to be safe I do .41 x body weight.

They found going over 30 % protein from calories to be bad for the human body.

I make sure too eat beans, lentils, whole grains and alot of vegetables.

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Not vegan (or veggie) but I've significantly reduced animal products the past month roughly, so it's a rarity now I have any.

Most of my sources of protein come from lentils and chickpeas at the moment. I really like red split lentils and replace mince with them for things like bolognese and shepherds pie. Curries are also fab opportunities to create high protein meals as chickpeas work well.

Bean burgers are amazing! They're not the best protein the ones I have (~7g per burger) but if you make your own they could be very high (I'm just lazy and like the shop bought ones)

Then there's things like Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan.. I'm not a fan of soy products but I've seen a few recipes for making your own Seitan that look really good!

Add in a decent volume of whole foods in general and you shouldn't have a problem unless your goal is crazy high (something I don't think is necessary in most people - it's an important macro but more does not always equal better) If you're on a calorie deficit and your intake is a bit lower, it might be harder depending on your goals and requirements. There are lots of vegan protein supps on the market though!

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not vegan (or veggie) but I've significantly reduced animal products the past month roughly, so it's a rarity now I have any.

Most of my sources of protein come from lentils and chickpeas at the moment. I really like red split lentils and replace mince with them for things like bolognese and shepherds pie. Curries are also fab opportunities to create high protein meals as chickpeas work well.

Bean burgers are amazing! They're not the best protein the ones I have (~7g per burger) but if you make your own they could be very high (I'm just lazy and like the shop bought ones)

Then there's things like Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan.. I'm not a fan of soy products but I've seen a few recipes for making your own Seitan that look really good!

Add in a decent volume of whole foods in general and you shouldn't have a problem unless your goal is crazy high (something I don't think is necessary in most people - it's an important macro but more does not always equal better) If you're on a calorie deficit and your intake is a bit lower, it might be harder depending on your goals and requirements. There are lots of vegan protein supps on the market though!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but seitan is not a soy product. It's actually made almost entirely from wheat gluten.
  • appleton1970
    appleton1970 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian about (5 months) I'm getting it and working hard in making sure I get everything I need! But I still struggle at getting enough protein!
    You have to educate yourself and of course get advice from the wonderful people here and your doctor....even though it seems I know more about nutrition than she does lol!

• heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage yogurt - it's packed with protein and also protein bars! Stay low on the sugars.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage yogurt - it's packed with protein and also protein bars! Stay low on the sugars.

It's also not vegan....
  • DaddieCat
    edited August 2016
    Options

It's also not vegan....

To be fair, the OP said vegetarian or vegan.
  • jessica_sodenkamp
    jessica_sodenkamp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you consume enough calories, you'll get enough protein. Protein deficiency is common is third world countries where people are starving, or with those who have anorexia, but for most people in the U.S. It isn't really a thing. Our protein needs are actually a LOT smaller than others would have us believe. According to the World Health Organization, our protein needs only account for 2-5% of our daily caloric intake. We get that and more without even trying if we just eat.
  • cee134
    Options
    If you consume enough calories, you'll get enough protein. Protein deficiency is common is third world countries where people are starving, or with those who have anorexia, but for most people in the U.S. It isn't really a thing. Our protein needs are actually a LOT smaller than others would have us believe. According to the World Health Organization, our protein needs only account for 2-5% of our daily caloric intake. We get that and more without even trying if we just eat.

This is not correct. You need (.36 x body weight) for enough protein. It's important to know what you need and what you may be missing. You have to eat a varaity of food and enough of it to "consume enough calories... get enough protein."
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

This is not correct. You need (.36 x body weight) for enough protein. It's important to know what you need and what you may be missing. You have to eat a varaity of food and enough of it to "consume enough calories... get enough protein."

This also depends on goals. While this is a good estimation for a minimal intake number, if your goal is to lose bodyfat or change your body composition, there is lots of science showing that you will have a more optimal intake at higher levels of protein.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @jessica_sodenkamp I hope you see.... so that you can start being healthy or atleast not give people bad advice.

Direct quote from WHO about total protein requirements per day: (page 149)
    Based on the mean requirement estimates for the indispensable amino acids
    identified above and assuming a mean total protein requirement of 0.66 g/kg
    per day
    Protein and amino acid requirements in human nutrition
    Report of a joint FAO/WHO/UNU expert consultation (WHO Technical Report Series 935)

Publication date: 2007
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/nutrientrequirements/WHO_TRS_935/en/

WHO don't say anything about 2-5% protein a day. Where did you get that from? The protein goals your suggesting is very unhealthy and will lead to Protein Deficiency.

Protein deficiency is nothing to fool around with either; deficiency can lead to gallstones, arthritis, and muscle deterioration, as well as heart problems.

WHO also says (which is a very healthy way of eating):
    For adults

A healthy diet contains:

Fruits, vegetables, legumes (e.g. lentils, beans), nuts and whole grains (e.g. unprocessed maize, millet, oats, wheat, brown rice).
    At least 400 g (5 portions) of fruits and vegetables a day (2). Potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava and other starchy roots are not classified as fruits or vegetables.
    Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars (2, 5) which is equivalent to 50 g (or around 12 level teaspoons) for a person of healthy body weight consuming approximately 2000 calories per day, but ideally less than 5% of total energy intake for additional health benefits (5). Most free sugars are added to foods or drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and can also be found in sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
    Less than 30% of total energy intake from fats (1, 2, 3). Unsaturated fats (e.g. found in fish, avocado, nuts, sunflower, canola and olive oils) are preferable to saturated fats (e.g. found in fatty meat, butter, palm and coconut oil, cream, cheese, ghee and lard) (3). Industrial trans fats (found in processed food, fast food, snack food, fried food, frozen pizza, pies, cookies, margarines and spreads) are not part of a healthy diet.
    Less than 5 g of salt (equivalent to approximately 1 teaspoon) per day (6) and use iodized salt.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    It would help to know your body weight, age group, and gender.

If you are female and weight less then 126 then you can pretty easily get the 46 g of Protein a day (as long as you are smart about it)

I need 100 g a day. The minimum is (.36 per pound of body weight) I haven't read any real evidence that you need more then that, but there is an absorption issue (protein is absorbed better from plants) so to be safe I do .41 x body weight.

They found going over 30 % protein from calories to be bad for the human body.

I make sure too eat beans, lentils, whole grains and alot of vegetables.

I'm willing to be wrong here, but I'm confused about the statement in bold. I thought it was the other way around?

From examine: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

"The overall amount of absorption can be determined by measuring fecal amino acids (if not absorbed, nitrogen's only other significant route is rectal excretion). The oro-ileal digestibility (a measure of overall protein usage) tends to be around 91-95% depending on source and assuming a reasonable acute dose (10-50g at once), with animal sources a bit higher than plant."