Avocados!?!

Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
Went to the store they were 2$ a piece, I feel old saying this and heck it was only a couple years ago they were .50 cents. Guess they had a bad time with them this year. I eat avocados everyday so I'm gonna have to cut back. Any other foods you notice are way more expensive now?

Replies

• kwick65
    kwick65 Posts: 10 Member
    Love avocado I live in Michigan so they ship a long way, but I've noticed their price fluctuate during seasons
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I only eat them during the six months I'm in Arizona. Here in Canada where I live during summer, they are at the least $3 apiece. And terrible quality.... Cherries were super cheap this summer. Beef? Outrageous.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    A lot of avocados are grown in Mexico and California. The crops have been affected by the drought. The farmers have to pay more money for water and they pass it along to the customers.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Umm...everything? I try to buy when in season or on sale.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited August 2016
    I have given up on them for this year. They taste kind of bitter the last few times I bought them. Probably because of the drought.
    ETA: I noticed strawberries are more expensive here now that the season is over.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    I agree with the others about the drought. And it does effect the quality as well. We grew several tomato plants and our own greens this year as they are staples in our diet. Chicken and egg seems to be climbing steadily, higher this year than last and that was higher than the previous year.

For avocado, I have gone to wholly guacamole in the individual serves.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    LIMES!!! The price of Limes hit $1.69ea here in Florida last year. I thought I was going to cry.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Thank you I thought I was going crazy when I saw I paid 1.49 a piece for avacados last week, usually they're about a third of that.

I'll second the wholly guacamole individual packets, more expensive yes but they freeze and travel really well.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Avocados are always expensive here (uk) and everything else is getting more and more expensive. Cost of Grocery Shopping for just the two of us is getting eye watering.
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Avocado prices have definitely been climbing over the last year or so. Although, if your not dead set on organic, Aldi usually has them reasonably priced year round.

I've also noticed that all of the berries I usually. It are significantly more expensive. Even strawberries, which are usually $2 a box on sale are $5 or $6 now. Makes me more likely to grow my own next season.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I jump on them when the grocery store has them for 99 cents. Walmart usually has them for a $1 ea all the time
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    drought in California and Mexico.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Avacados seem to fluctuate way more than any other fruit/vegetable, and not with seasons like others. I just bought a whole bag of 7 of them for $6 at Costco. They were perfect.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Looks like I need to check out Costco. I have avocado almost daily. I don't think I would survive without it
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    OoooOo thanks for the Costco Idea, I will check walmart too. Next year I'm turning my back yard in into a garden. I'm already doing tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, along with a lot of herbs but next year I am going to grow everything I can! Wish I could grow avocados :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kwick65 wrote: »
    Love avocado I live in Michigan so they ship a long way, but I've noticed their price fluctuate during seasons

Yeah, I'm in Chicago and avocado price has always varied quite a bit. I don't notice them being particularly more expensive now.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I've been buying them for .50 cents each the past few months. I hit up the big box supermarkets, Hispanic supermarkets, and farmers markets. There's a deal somewhere. But I'm in CA and we get first dibs. :grin:

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    They range from 88-99 cents here. There was a good selection last time I went grocery shopping but they time before there werent.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I only eat them during the six months I'm in Arizona. Here in Canada where I live during summer, they are at the least $3 apiece. And terrible quality.... Cherries were super cheap this summer. Beef? Outrageous.

Canada here too and yep $3/lb. Not ripe one day, rotten the next
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    I love them so much its one of those foods I will pay any price for lol. They arnt bad here in San Diego.. but they.. like.. grow here.