How many calories to maintain

Options
So I've lost 22kg with a 1500 calorie night, I've now reached my goal weight but wonder how many calories I should be eating now?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 22kg with a 1500 calorie night, I've now reached my goal weight but wonder how many calories I should be eating now?

This is a good question that no one here can answer for you. Trial and error. How many calories were you eating before? How many pounds a week were you losing?

Example: if you were eating 1500 calories a day & losing 1 pound a week...then 2,000 calories should be maintenance. 3,500/7 = 500. If you were losing slower, then it's going to be less.

Have you put your stats in MFP & selected maintenance? This will also be an estimate.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2000 would be a good place to start. adjust up or down after 4-6 weeks
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Here you go. Just scroll down through the article and plug your info into the calculator and that'll give you a starting point.

https://legionathletics.com/macronutrient-calculator/
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lost almost 50lbs consuming 1100-1200 calories over 6-ish months. Now in maintenance for a while during holidays and consuming 1400 cals to see how it goes. MFP suggested 1750 calories but I am pretty sure that would be too much.

I set my daily calorie limit to 1400 but now eat all exercise calories back and so I am consuming approximately 1500 calories per day. Am weighing every day and trying to log accurately but that is much harder to do while eating a wider variety of different foods and not having a food scale but so far so good. Really enjoying the extra calories!!
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

A lot of this depends on what your particular goals are. I divide my Clients into 3 different Level.

Level 1: Everyday people that want to look better, feel better and be healthier

Level 2: Dedicated Recreational Exercisers , Health Enthusiasts

Level 3: Pro/Semi Pro Athletes, Physique Models, Extreme Health Enthusiasts

*If your level 1 I say forget the calorie counting, math and equations. Instead simplify your life and follow this info-graphic

*If your level two you'll need to still follow level 1 but also need to introduce a food scale to be more accurate with your portions.

*If your level 3 you'll need to follow level 1 & 2 and use formulas to calculate your specific macros and food scales to weigh out your foods exactly.

In my experience most people are Level 1's and will do great with that method.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Lost almost 50lbs consuming 1100-1200 calories over 6-ish months. Now in maintenance for a while during holidays and consuming 1400 cals to see how it goes. MFP suggested 1750 calories but I am pretty sure that would be too much.

I set my daily calorie limit to 1400 but now eat all exercise calories back and so I am consuming approximately 1500 calories per day. Am weighing every day and trying to log accurately but that is much harder to do while eating a wider variety of different foods and not having a food scale but so far so good. Really enjoying the extra calories!!

If you've lost 50lbs in 6 months there is no way you were in a deficit of 200 calories.

That's ridiculous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - you could put your goal to maintain into this or another calculator...the calculator will give you a good starting point.

2 - you could do the math...if you know your average rate of loss you should just be able to do the math and use your own data.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    A good way to estimate is to treat a pound as 3500 calories.

So if you ate 1500 calories and lost 1 pound per week lets say that would be 500 calories per day deficit (7*500 = 3500). That would mean your maintenance level would be 2000. Once you have an estimate you try that and then its just trial and error and adjusting.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It depends on your rate of loss, if you were losing 1lb per week then you'd add 500 calories more per day...