Frustrated..

Options
Well, I just got home from my honeymoon and am attempting to get back on a regular routine, both with exercise and eating healthier meals again. However, the day after our wedding, I started developing this pesky sore throat and cough. I think a lot of it had to do with being on the go so much, not sleeping well, and not eating regular meals the week or two prior to the wedding, and then it all caught up with me at once. Well, I still have the cough, which makes it very difficult to get a good workout in without hacking up a lung. And at this point there's not a lot a doctor can do for me either. It's just one of those things that has to run its course, but it's still annoying. I guess, for now, counting calories is just going to have to suffice. *Sigh*

Replies

• Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If I were in that situation, I would watch my calories like a hawk and maybe do some strength exercises. Cardio would require heavy breathing which just doesn't work out well with a chest cold. But maybe try some situps or pushups, maybe something like that. Just to get you back into the habit of doing some physical activity.
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have a persistent cough, you should see a doctor. It may be bronchitis, which can be treated with antibiotics. Often there are no other symptoms except for a horrible hacking cough that makes you feel like you're going to cough your head off. I've had it before. Twice.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you have a persistent cough, you should see a doctor. It may be bronchitis, which can be treated with antibiotics. Often there are no other symptoms except for a horrible hacking cough that makes you feel like you're going to cough your head off. I've had it before. Twice.

This. Bronchitis sucks and it could get worse if you don't see someone. Feel better soon!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just remember..this is a marathon..not a sprint..so just watch your intake...and you will be fine..
  • Diana35bha
    Diana35bha Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pilates or yoga will keep your body toned while you wait for the cough to ease!!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Getting sick is (sometimes) my body's response to stress. I get busy and frustrated and my body says, "Okay, hold on, Chicky, you need to REST! Hang on...you're not resting...wouldja LISTEN to me already?? No? Okay then...I'm gonna MAKE you listen!" And I wind up with a whopping cold/cough, etc.

Do you do any yoga? It's not cardio, but it'll get some stretch into your muscles and you'll be burning *some* calories. I don't know how relaxing it is (I find it's actually a pretty challenging workout!) but it is for some people.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the low-impact exercises that others have suggested. Also, lots and lots of fluids - water, tea, soup, jello, juicy fruits (peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe, berries). I always feel like fluids are washing the ickies out of my body. :tongue: Hope you are feeling better soon and enjoying wedded bliss!!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATS on the wedding!

Second, i agree with the earlier post to just do what you can, some light yoga, or some squats and lunges. Last time i was too sick for the gym I made a little routine that every hour i would do something for 3-5 min. Squats, lunges, wall pushups, and triceps using a free weight.

You'll feel better for doing it, just dont do too much good luck and i hope you feel better soon :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's congestion in the lungs, Guaifenesin (ie Mucinex) works well for loosening it up.

Sometimes I suck on a menthol honey-lemon cough drop while exercising. It seems to help when I have a cold.
  • kheavin0928
    kheavin0928 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! It's not a constant cough, and I can tell I'm on the mend, it's just annoying! I'll definitely be doing some sit-ups and push-ups and some strength training with my weights until I feel good about running again.