What to expect when starting a Yoga class for the first time?

Options
I am going to a yoga class tonight at 7pm until 8pm. I've never been to a yoga class and I don't do yoga at home. I'm not sure what to expect. This class is for all ranges of experience and the moves can be modified if need be. I'm worried about tooting.... Lol. :-/ What sort of food should I eat before hand? Anyone with experience, I could use some advice.

Thanks!

Replies

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would avoid beans!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Expect that it will be challenging. Talk to the instructor beforehand, ask for tips, and let her know of any medical conditions or physical considerations. After a few sessions you'll feel more confident that you can do it!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you can, introduce yourself to the instructor right before class, and let them know that it's your first time. They will likely keep an extra eye on you, and offer more adjustments or instructions to assist you in finding the poses.

As far as gas...well...it happens. Ask someone who's been practicing yoga awhile, and almost everyone has a story, lol! It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's often giggle inducing :-)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Expect that it will be challenging. Talk to the instructor beforehand, ask for tips, and let her know of any medical conditions or physical considerations. After a few sessions you'll feel more confident that you can do it!

This. Let the teacher know this is your first class. As for food before, honestly I never paid attention to what I eat before doing yoga but I wouldn't eat a good 2 hours before the class. Maybe a snack like a banana would be best since it's at 8pm but it's hard to tell, every body is different.

Don't sweat it, go with the flow! :)

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I've gone to maybe a dozen yoga classes at my gym and I've never tooted nor have I smelled a toot from any others (or heard for that matter, lol). I second introducing yourself to the instructor first. They'll make sure you have everything you need. And then just relax and go with the flow! It will be a bit hard and even harder to hold some poses, but I think you'll enjoy it. Oh, and I wouldn't eat a big meal beforehand, and nothing for 45 minutes before. A full tummy and yoga doesn't work, I found out the hard way.
  • jimd1125
    jimd1125 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tell the teacher that you are taking your first class. Avoid eating at least 1 hour before (2 is preferable). Also, try to have a bowel movement before class is possible. If you toot, that is life, everyone does it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    farting.

expect farting.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    farting.

expect farting.

From fellow yoga attendees or myself?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    farting.

expect farting.

both- it's okay- you can relax and let it go.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    farting.

expect farting.

both- it's okay- you can relax and let it go.

Have an insightful!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Expect to be sore tomorrow. Engage your legs and core for balance and don't push yourself to the point of pain.
  • Jessspin01
    Jessspin01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, I survived! And guess what? No toots! :) I sure am tired though! I plan to keep up with this. I really need to work on balance!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd avoid broccoli before class lol. :) Glad you made it through!
  • loridz
    loridz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't eat for at least two hours before class just becuz it bothers my stomach in class and I feel weighed down. I've also never farted in class or noticed anyone else farting, but I'm sure people do.

I would talk to the instructor before class to explain its your first class.