1280 calories

Options
I am 5'9.5 and weigh 225lbs. Mfp set me up at 1280, without exercise, to lose 2lbs per week. Does this seem right? I am purchasing a food scale this afternoon to help with accurate measurements. Should I commit to 1200 rather than 1280? Will walking everyday help with the weight loss? I have tried Mfp in the past and lost a few lbs with it, but i just couldn't stick it out. If you have any advice on how to stay committed to a diet let me know.

I appreciate the feedback.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "I have tried Mfp in the past and lost a few lbs with it, but i just couldn't stick it out."

I think you need to ask yourself why this is first. The answer to that should have a large impact on the answer to your question.
  • Kkourt_Love
    Kkourt_Love Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Why couldn't you stick with it last time?

1280 is pretty low. If it seems too extreme, try setting MFP to lose 1 or 1.5 pounds per week until you adjust to that lowered intake, then bump it to 2 pounds per week if you want. It's easier to start off slowly and give yourself time to adjust than it is to burn out, give up and then try to start all over again.

I wasn't able to stick with it the last time due to work stress. It is still stressful at work, but after having tubular adenomas in my intestines and gaining ten lbs in the last two months, I am tired of feeling so gross and unhealthy. I am prepared now to commit to it.
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    What difference is dropping another 80cals going to make?

For me, winning at weight loss is eating as much as possible and still losing weight.

That's exactly why I was asking. If it isn't going to make much of a difference, then I won't drop that 80 calories.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 226lbs. I'm set to lose 2 pounds a week and without exercise and an activity level set to sedentary I have 1350 calories. 1280 seems low to me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What difference is dropping another 80cals going to make?

For me, winning at weight loss is eating as much as possible and still losing weight.

That's exactly why I was asking. If it isn't going to make much of a difference, then I won't drop that 80 calories.

It's no, so dont
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Why couldn't you stick with it last time?

1280 is pretty low. If it seems too extreme, try setting MFP to lose 1 or 1.5 pounds per week until you adjust to that lowered intake, then bump it to 2 pounds per week if you want. It's easier to start off slowly and give yourself time to adjust than it is to burn out, give up and then try to start all over again.

I wasn't able to stick with it the last time due to work stress. It is still stressful at work, but after having tubular adenomas in my intestines and gaining ten lbs in the last two months, I am tired of feeling so gross and unhealthy. I am prepared now to commit to it.

You can always reduce the deficit to a pound to make it easier
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    "I have tried Mfp in the past and lost a few lbs with it, but i just couldn't stick it out."

I think you need to ask yourself why this is first. The answer to that should have a large impact on the answer to your question.

I couldn't stick it out due to work stress. Now that stress has lightened up, I am more prepared than before.
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    I have already found the answers to why I couldn't stick it out before. Right now I am asking for advise to make sure I do it right this time, not asking for people to tell me to look at why I wasn't successful the first time... I have already gotten past that point.
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    My two cents' worth - I would start at 1300kcal, walk every day and add strength training as desired, buy a food scale, weigh & measure & log everything. Just start right in, weigh every week, and tweak as needed. Good luck!

I find that planning and sticking to an enjoyable food plan actually helps with work stress.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have already found the answers to why I couldn't stick it out before. Right now I am asking for advise to make sure I do it right this time, not asking for people to tell me to look at why I wasn't successful the first time... I have already gotten past that point.

Staying committed is just that! Everyday will be a day closer to your goal and if you ever get down for any reason just remind yourself of your goal and what you are trying to achieve!

You have already got this! :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

People are asking because it impacts the advice they give you. If you said "I started binge eating after starting MFP," our recommendations would be different than if you said "I started running too quickly and hurt myself." If low calories were your main issue, then yes, exercising to earn some eat-back calories would be a good idea. If you're prone to injuring yourself, then we're going to tell you that walking every day isn't going to help.
  • agnatkowa
    agnatkowa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. My entry weight was quite similar. For 36 days I am on 1000-1100 kcal diet and I exercise every other day for about 50min (aerobic). I excluded alcohol, sweets and I have discovered that I was always eating little of actual food, most of it was junk. I feel much better than before and already lost 16 lbs. I am using food scale for every meal I prepare and never forget to log things in mfp. Be patient and try not to make exceptions in your diet, it will pay off :wink: