Those who weight themselves more than once a day

Options
Hey everyone just had a quick question.for those who weigh themselves more then once a day, How much does your weight fluctuate. I know that you should not weight yourself more then once a day but i did it today and now i am worried. i went from 239 to 242 and its just the morning. If it jumps that much will that mean i wont have a loss in the morning? thanks everyone

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use to do that when I first started but now I only weigh myself in the mornings after I've had a trip to the restroom. Weight fluctuates throughout the day...especially now that I drink 12+ glasses of water. Plus it frustrated me when I saw the scale go up.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    it means that you ate and drank water today. and its not real weight gain anyways...stop weighing yourself like this!!
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate that much from morning to night. Lighter in the morning, heavier in the evening. Are you saying you think your weight went up?
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i've seen mine go up as little as 1lb and as high as 11, but I think I average 4-5
  • sramos1010
    Options
    I think it fluctuates 2-3 pounds per day. I sometimes weigh more than once a day and it's typically in that range. But, I try not to do this often. It's best to keep it once a day (or week) at the same time of day so you can get the best read.
  • Ahendon824
    Ahendon824 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're weight can fluctuate a lot throughout the day! If you have to use the bathroom, just ate, etc, can change the number on the scale! I have heard you can see a difference of 5 or more pounds. Usually the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning. I have to admit I weigh myself more than once a day on occassions! Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Texaganian
    Texaganian Posts: 67
    Options
    Mine can fluctuate up to 4 pounds a day.

Actually, I think doing this for a while (at least a couple of weeks) is very good because it lets you understand what a non-linear process weight loss is and how large the short-term fluctuations can be without effecting the long-term results.

I know it was a great thing for me. And it's part of the reason that I still weigh myself every day despite the vocal majority here who say that is a terrible thing to do.

Personally, I think they are missing the boat on a valuable tool for understanding the weight loss process.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I like to see how my weight fluctuate but I actually record my weight after my run and/or after my morning shower. Thats the lightest I weigh throughout the day. I used to get frusterated but now I dont worry. I know I'm in it for the long term.
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    My weight usually fluctuates up to 5ish lbs a day from my just-woke-up weight. Putting any food or liquid in your body will make you somewhat heavier than when you first weigh yourself. For example, if you drink 16 oz of water, you will weigh 1 lb more.
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I weigh myself neurotically (yes, I know, shame on me!) and my weight fluctuates as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 4-5lbs during the day.
  • crazymama2two
    Options

Actually, I think doing this for a while (at least a couple of weeks) is very good because it lets you understand what a non-linear process weight loss is and how large the short-term fluctuations can be without effecting the long-term results.

I know it was a great thing for me. And it's part of the reason that I still weigh myself every day despite the vocal majority here who say that is a terrible thing to do.

Personally, I think they are missing the boat on a valuable tool for understanding the weight loss process.

yeah, but see, clearly you dont let the scale play mind games with you like 99.99012843018208% of people on here :) lucky *kitten* :)
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week because I would go nuts seeing the scale go all over the place.
  • adoraendut
    adoraendut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I weigh myself a few times throughout the day, keeping in mind though, that the weight might not mean anything. Usually if I drink a lot of water my weight will fluctuate 600 - 800 grams (sorry you'll have to convert this to lbs) throughout the day. Eventually, the next morning this weight will disappear/decrease. So I still get the net effect of a weight reduction. If you feel that weighing yourself a few times a day might affect your motivation, pls stop doing this and weigh yourself once a week.
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    I fluctuate 4-6 lbs throughout the day. Don't weigh myself every day or more than once a day anymore.
  • freakaleek1
    freakaleek1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You have all made me feel so much better. I usually only weight myself in the morning However it was just to tempting, then all hell broke lose when i saw 3 pounds gain. How ever i did have breakfast and lunch and drank lots of water. I still have hope for a loss in the morning, its been super hot here and i have been drinking so much water, thanks everyone
  • Eshathediva
    Options
    Please just weight yourself once a week. You are stressing yourself out and that's definitely not going to help your weight loss.
  • nash4343
    nash4343 Posts: 15
    Options

I totally agree. I couldn't have said it better.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have done and still do on occasion...I found it helpful in accepting the natural fluctuations...can be a 5lb difference betweeen morning and evening weight and can still show a loss the next morning. I don't understand it tho...where does the weight disappear to while you are sleeping!?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it tho...where does the weight disappear to while you are sleeping!?

SWEAT! (pretty gross right!)