On the go healthy meals and snacks? HELP!

Options
Starting in the fall, I will once again start my crazy college schedule of leaving my house around 7am and not getting back home until 7pm. In the past, I have had good intentions with my food, but often either went without meals, or got vending machine food or fast food.

This can't happen this year. It's still a month away, but I want to start planning for it now, so I can't fail.

My biggest problem with it is, I don't have access to a fridge or microwave, and this coming semester I don't even get more than 15 minute breaks (although I can eat something during most classes if its easy enough to eat).

So in the past I came up with a couple of ideas, but did them for a week or 2, and got sick of eating the same thing all day long everyday and would either eventually stop, or be so hungry when I got home, or crave stuff and mess it all up on the weekends.

Can you guys help me (and I'm sure there are tons of others with my same problem) come up with ideas? I gained over 10 pounds last year with this bad eating behavior. (AND I DONT EVEN LIKE VENDING MACHINE FOOD> EWW!)

Replies

• carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm curious to hear if anyone has any good advice..I'm in college too and fall victim to the vending machiene convienance!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes thank you!! I have the same problem, I've been thinking about how to take snacks that won't get gross in my bag, or something that I won't get bored with, last year I gained close to 10 lbs:blushing: Now I'm busting my *kitten* harder this summer to loose it, and I don't want to go through that again next summer, Help needed too! thanks! :happy:

-Jess
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My friends and family are like "oh, that will be easy enough, we'll figure it out when we get there"... um.. that's what happened last semester.. and nobody really came up with anything.

I don't know who to turn to, but I know MFP'ers are SMART like that. :)
  • kellyrorie
    kellyrorie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tysons "grilled and ready oven roasted chicken" . Super low in calories and high in protien (iffy on the sodium, but worth it in a pinch). microwaves in a jiffy. Then just some fruit. You can take a few serving with you every day. I also end up eating a lot of lunchmeat and "go packs" of veggies when I am in a pinch. its not so much "meals" but it is good fuel for work outs, keeps you super full, takes seconds to prep, and keeps well enough to pack for a 12 hour day. Hope it helps!
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    First of all, inverts in a big box of sandwhich size ziplocks, they will be your best friend!
    And second, here are some of my ideas but if you want any recipes let me know! I cook for myself, my husband and my baby and we all have different diet and taste needs so I have a wide array!
    Ideas:
    Fresh fruit- duh! But wash, prep and package into serving sizes at the start of the week.
    Hummus dip and veggies- doesn't usually need to be kept cold (an ice pack in the lunch box would do great)
    String cheese- ditto hummus
    Baby bell or laughing cow cheese on ricecakes (or kim's magic pop)
    Pb&j
    Boiled eggs
    Zucchini bread muffins- I have a great healthy version recipie
    Tuna- the bagged version works great for on the go, no draining or can opener needed
    Nuts- again, duh! But divide up and then take
    Raisins and other dried fruits- I really love the dried apple rings
    Beef jerky- if you have a dehydrator, homemade is awesome

I've got more ideas, but don't want to overload you! Hope this helps!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I got a little container that you can freeze the bottom, so you can put milk in it, and then the top has a place for cereal and a built in spoon.. you could also get milk that's stable and can stay on the shelf.
    Also gone one with two levels. PB+J on the bottom, and carrots and hummus on the top.
    Get a lunch box, you don't need to refrigerate cheese sticks, trail mixes, most fruit, carrots, or things like clif and luna bars are great!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student right now, luckily with an office area with a fridge, but when classes start again, I'll share the pain.

So here are some ideas:

nuts and seeds (1/2 oz almonds = ~80 cal for example) - these are easy to pre-weigh and carry around in a small bag

plain rice cakes a good and really low cal (~30 per cake)

fruit - apples, oranges, cut up watermelon and berries (bag them)

sliced veggies - carrot sticks, celery, cucumber (obviously between class as these are loud)

air popped popcorn - a few cups are really low in calories, put it in a bag the night before

Sandwich with pb and honey (or jelly or whatever) - basically no meat or cheese; an all veggie with mustard or something would be fine as well

Cold pasta salad - toss in tons of veggies and mix with olive oil and a (tiny) bit of cheese so it's still good cold

cheese sticks - eat before 6 hours out of the fridge but a good am snack

Healthy granola bars (or if you have a kitchen and weekend time, make your own) - I like Nature's Own

A mug of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc will last awhile - bring new tea bags and fill up if possible to get hot water (we have a coffee shop on campus, for example)

If you have a student center, try going to subway or something for lunch to help break the 12 hour day up... or if you don't have time for that, hopefully some of the ideas above will help. I would invest in a good lunch box or bag or something to carry them around in so nothing gets squished - dorky looking a little bit maybe (put inside a cute tote bag though, as a "large purse") but healthy food is better than the alternative!

Finally, if your classes are all in the same area, you might ask a faculty or staff member if there is a fridge nearby that you can use - I was allowed to use the faculty lounge fridge when I asked - or sometimes there's a student lounge - it can't hurt to ask!
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Larabar's are a like natures candy bar! I keep some at my desk at work. 100 calorie packs of almonds or nuts, umm... apples and oranges, sandwiches stay good at room temp. So does tuna. Peanut butter and apples is a good one. Annie's Organic makes cheddar bunnies that are the healthy goldfish, she has awesome flavors too, like sour cream and onion and "bunny grahams" (ooo speaking of, now I want some!) chips and salsa. Hummus and triscuit thins. Those are all my mains "on the go" grubs, hope it helps!
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    First of all, inverts in a big box of sandwhich size ziplocks, they will be your best friend!
    And second, here are some of my ideas but if you want any recipes let me know! I cook for myself, my husband and my baby and we all have different diet and taste needs so I have a wide array!
    Ideas:
    Fresh fruit- duh! But wash, prep and package into serving sizes at the start of the week.
    Hummus dip and veggies- doesn't usually need to be kept cold (an ice pack in the lunch box would do great)
    String cheese- ditto hummus
    Baby bell or laughing cow cheese on ricecakes (or kim's magic pop)
    Pb&j
    Boiled eggs
    Zucchini bread muffins- I have a great healthy version recipie
    Tuna- the bagged version works great for on the go, no draining or can opener needed
    Nuts- again, duh! But divide up and then take
    Raisins and other dried fruits- I really love the dried apple rings
    Beef jerky- if you have a dehydrator, homemade is awesome

I've got more ideas, but don't want to overload you! Hope this helps!

Thankks, that DOES help. I guess I can try to take a lunchbox and an icepack, duh!
    IF you have more, PLEASE share, you won't overload me. I seriously have no ideas. I would revert to peanut butter on celery and 100 cal packs (not really the calories i want to be getting!) I need all the help I can GET! LOL!
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    Ahh! :) You guys are AWESOME! :) Keep it coming :)

I LOVE YOU ALL! :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Popchips,nuts, dried fruit, granola bar, cup of dry cherrios.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Granola bars, nuts, wraps, sandwiches, fruit, veggies...

If you do hit the vending machine gets nuts, trail mix, granola bars, beef jerky, or my secret treat are sun chips (they have fiber!).

There was another post the other day about healthy fast food options, I'll see if I can bump it.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    how about cut up veggies... they do well in baggie and dont necessarily need to be refridgerated,
    crackers and laughing cow cheese (also works well with the veggies)
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I have to say that p90x bars fill me up and give me the protein i need. they have 20 g of protein per bar. I know that I found some protein bars at Schnuck's last night and they were 10 for $10 so I bought 10 b/c that's an excellent deal and they were 20 g of protein per bar too. I get difference flavors. I also like almonds (plain), walnuts, true delights rice cakes, dried turkish apricots, dehydrated green beans (fantastic!), wheatables, tuna in the packets sprinkled w/ hot sauce & put on crackers, pistachios, granola (Great Harvest Bread Co has this Groovy Granola that I'm in love with). I am constantly on the go. when I leave in the morning I have my Shakeology in hand and I make that w/ different recipes to make sure i dont get burned out. I feel your pain though!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There are great ideas, so now I know I'll have to get tons of Ziplock bags, and buy a lunchbox! yeaa!
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Make it a FUN thing to FIND new things you can bring and eat....make it a challenge! :D
    Here are my ideas....some require that you use a lunch tote w/ an ice pack.. :)

String Cheese
    container of mixed greens, diced chicken breast, dresing, etc.
    100 cal packs
    sliced veggies (my fave is cucmber!)
    fruit
    100 cals worth of pretzel sticks
    microwave popcorn (already popped and in a ziplock!)
    pickles
    hard-boiled egg
    yogurt with a bit of Fiber One cereal in it

Good luck girl!
  • miaka51
    miaka51 Posts: 10
    Options
    This is totally random and VERY weird, but I did it an entire summer when I was taking 11.5 credits (yes, in the SUMMER - read:freakishly busy) and I did it every day - I was in the best shape of my life. Granted, once I got back in my crappy routine it didn't happen so much, but meh... what are you gonna do? I had an insane schedule from 7 AM until 4 PM and only had time to run home once, so here was my solution.

Before Class (6AM): eat a bowl of cheerios, generous portion to hold me through as best as I could.

First 2 hr class (9AM): an apple, banana, or other easily portable fruit. Avoid pears. They make a mess when squished.

Second morning class (11AM): A container of fat free yogurt, any flavor (helped to change things up a bit)

lunch was just too busy, so...

After first afternoon (dance) class (3PM): About 1 1/2 or 2 C cooked white rice (sub brown if you want to go even healthier) with a packet of soy sauce and a hard boiled egg on top. I could eat this cold no problem and it encouraged me to drink TONS of water because it was a little sticky. Its very filling and feels like REAL FOOD thank god!

So, it was really repetitive, but it worked for about 8 weeks of summer classes for me and I always felt full (except over lunch)
    Now, I did go and get dinner after, but I was usually not all that hungry by then.

Good luck!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - dried cereal works really well - get the ones that taste yummy without milk and pre-portion

Also, either get reuseable containers or reuse the ziplock bags (ie, if you put almonds in it, reuse it for more almonds, it's not dirty) - we don't want to trash the planet while eating well!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I will probably repeat some things, but hopefully this list will help you with things you can eat on the go and/or in class (w/out disturbing the class)

- Nuts
    - Turkey Pepperoni
    - Granola Bars
    - Protien Bars
    - Dry cereal
    - Cut up some fruit (apples, grapes, cantelope, watermelon)
    - Peanut butter crackers
    - Fresh veggies (broccoli, califlower, celery, red bell pepers)
    - Yogurt
    - Low fat string cheese

- make yourself a PB&J sandwich (sugar free jelly and all natural PB)

You may not have access to a fridge, but you can carry a small lunch bag with an ice pack in it to keep things cool. I pack one for myself and my kids and its stays cold for many hours! If you only have a sandwich, some fruit or veggies, some cheese and nuts - it will keep it all nice and cool for you. Also, take a V-8 juice or two to give you something besides water, but also help keep you full.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    Options
    Thanks guys!