ADHD and weightloss

Options
Why is it so hard to lose weight? I have ADHD and struggle with my weight loss. What many don't know is that many who suffer from obesity might have the same problem. Diets and exercise plans are hard to work with because of the attention span and the fact that it is hard to ge in a routin. Many take supplements with still no help. I refuse to take medications and while studing paychology i have also learne that exercise gives u the chemical balance that your body's lacking. I know tht one of my other problems is that impustivity is another problem and this means without realisation we eat. Lets face it food is amazing. The answer to this is find a buddy to workout with that is dedicate that way you have someone to push you through those down intervals and fill your house up with healthy foods and snacks such as sunflower seeds

Replies

• Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's not difficult to lose weight. It's simply a matter of eating fewer calories.
    ADHD shouldn't make any difference to that basic fact. So if you can only keep one thing in mind, then that should be it.
    However I have heard that children with ADHD improve when they eat an organic diet. Insecticides are powerful nerve agents and are best avoided, even in small quantities. Good luck
    Feel free to friend.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have ADD, and I'm not sure it factors into my weight issues. Some of my low self-esteem associated with ADD hasn't helped. Perhaps getting into a routine could help? I plan and log my entire day's worth of meals and don't deviate (1100-1300 calories with a lot of protein). Then, I track my steps with my Fitbit (shooting for 10k steps), and I add in about 10-15 minutes of bodyweight exercises each day with my Sworkit app. I have lost 20 lbs in just under 2 months. I hope it works for you as well!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try some of the newer non-drug therapies such as biofeedback. If you are in a larger or college town, seek out the inclusive treatment centers for evaluation and alternatives to drugs. And do watch your diet. Some additives such as colors can affect some people. Drink water instead of bottled sweet colored drinks.
  • my58vw
    my58vw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe ADHD, and choose medications at work, but for everything else you simply have to decide that part of every meal is tracking, and do it. In fact most people with ADHD have more trouble focusing on a specific task for a very long time, but have less trouble doing things every time.

I track with every meal. I don't forget, I just do it...
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Was there a question in there?

Build good habits - weighing, tracking, exercise.

Try to recognize and change bad patterns. For me two key things are portioning out food before eating (prevent mindless overeating/not focused) and keeping food put away/not where I sit (impulsive eating).

Knowing these things doesn't mean I get it right all the time. But I try.

I don't take any medication either.
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As someone with ADHD, the thing that has helped me the most with sticking with exercise was making sure it was something different everyday. By doing that, I was able to make exercise more of a lifestyle and had sort of freed myself from thinking that I had to do the same thing (like 30 day shred) everyday.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    One of my boys has ADHD and has really struggled to keep weight on over the years and has gone through phases of being underweight. He's hyperkinetic, though and, even with medication (one chosen for less of a deleterious effect on appetite thsn stimulants), can't sit still for any length of time.

Just saying that you can't generalise about ADHD and weight, so you might not find a lot of people with the same experience.