Help/Suggestions/Advice Needed

Options
So I have been doing this for about a month now and sticking to to my calorie goals very well. I also started working out in May and as of June I am doing 2-3 times a week with a trainer doing weight/strength and then cardio. I am very frustrated since I have only lost 2 pounds. I can tell things are fitting me much better so I know I am toning up and building muscle but the fact that the number really isn't going down gets to me. I am in my mid 40's and weigh just over 250 so I know it will take time since I didn't get here overnight but I have friends who are doing the whole surgery weight loss thing and that is just not for me. Any advice or words of wisdom are welcome.

Thanks

T
:happy:

Replies

• stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    do your measurements - don't rely on the scale. Especially if you're doing weight-training.
  • heathernadam
    heathernadam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree! Measurements are key! Who cares what the scale says, as long as you look and feel good! (I know, easier said than done, since most of us obsess over the numbers on the scale:) But, seriously, maybe taking a few weeks off from the scale would benefit you! Stick to healthy eating and exercising (and logging) and just measure yourself to see your progress. I'm sure it will be much more encouraging! And, the numbers will eventually fall off on the scale. Sometimes it takes awhile for our bodies to catch up to the fact that we are losing weight! But, it's the INCHES that don't lie:) Good Luck!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I agree, take measurements and pictures. In April I only released 3lbs but I shed 8 inches over my whole body. I also use clothes to validate my efforts. Be creative and don't put so much into the scale. I know that is a challenge but once you accept that you will feel free and will have that energy to put towards better activities and thoughts.

Way to go, keep at it. = )
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm in sort of the same boat, but I just found out I have some thyroid issues. Don't become a slave to the scale. Being healthy is much more than a number on a scale. It's about the feeling of accomplishment after a hard workout, those inches you're losing since your clothes feel better, loving yourself enough to take time for yourself, etc. Hang in there. You'll break through this plateau.
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You will get through this. The weight will come off in due time.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any exercise on the days you aren't working out with your trainer? I also workout with a trainer 2 -3 times per week, but I HAVE to exercise on my off days or else the scale doesn't move. Try a group exercise class, or go for a walk!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Read this article. Why the Scale Lies.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Weight won't matter as much as measurements.
  • teresak65
    teresak65 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been kinda hit and miss on working out on the days I am not with my trainer but as of last week I started doing one class on a day off and then one day on my treadmill