BLISTERS

Options
I've been running for a couple of weeks to prepare for my first 5k. I knew that my feet would have to work themselves out and I've tried my best to help them. I've gotten fitted for running shoes and what have you. Still... I have two blisters, one on each foot in the same place. (In the crease of my big toe on the bottom of my foot) This makes doing anything uncomfortable. I don't want to stop my cardio because my race is in September but I also want to keep my feet.

Any suggestions on healing and avoiding? Thanks! ;)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting blisters it's because your shoe fit isn't perfect and part of your foot is moving / rubbing against part of the shoe.

You may be able to mitigate the problem with 2 layer running socks (I have ones by Wright but I'm sure there are a number of manufacturers) They're not very expensive and are very comfortable.

It may also be that your laces are a little loose closer to your toes, your shoes should fit your foot snugly (but not uncomfortably so) again my little fix for this is using the bungee type shoe laces that distribute the pressure more evenly across your foot (my real motivation for these is that it saves a few seconds in the transition in triathlons/duathlons)

Here's an article from Runners World that may also help.....

runnersworld.com/tag/blisters

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sort of odd place to get blisters - are your socks bunching up when you run? If not, maybe try wicking socks if you are wearing cotton ones?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ugh, I have really sensitive feet and even well-fitting shoes blister me no matter what, so I understand. Minimize the issue with shoes that fit really well and are well broken in (from the sounds of your blisters, your feet might be a little cramped in your shoes - your toes should have room to spread/flatten out completely and not be bunched in the shoe, and lots of people have to go up a size in running shoes to accommodate this) , seamless socks (running stores have these and they're expensive but worth it if you're having blister issues), and tape up the blisters you already have (I use those fancy "blister cushion" bandaids and then wrap athletic tape over them and around my foot so that they stay in place and don't get all bunched up.)

For prevention, I just use tape over the spots that usually rub in a given pair of shoes. For some people, stuff like Body Glide helps too, or moleskin in the places getting rubbed, but neither works that well for me personally.
  • AGamingFantasy
    AGamingFantasy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe Thank you. I'll give that link a looky loo.
    @LeanButNotMean44 This is a problem that I plan to correct. I HAVE been wearing cotton socks. I'm going to get some different ones on Friday. Do you think walking would be ok until then?
    @peleroja I will take everything you have told me into account! Thank you. Def going to start taping. I tried a bandaid on my first one today and while running, it get pushed off the spot.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Let me just second(or third) socks! I bought super nice shoes and thought my old $5 for 10 pairs of socks would be okay! Having good running socks made a HUGE difference. Also as soon as your are done running take of the shoes and socks and let your feet dry so that tender spots don't get irritated even more at home.
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    @Lindsay375 I'll have to start bringing flip flops for in the car afterwards! Thank you!
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can buy anti-blister socks - they don't move as much when they're sweaty so the lack of friction reduces blisters. Now that you have blisters, you can buy blister pads or moleskin to prevent them from hurting or getting bigger. I prefer the moleskin since it's thicker than most pads and you can buy it in a roll and cut it to size
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    @gvizzle74 My sister has told me about Moleskin and she said it ripped the skin off her blister. Did you have that?
  • frumpjunk
    frumpjunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sort of odd place to get blisters - are your socks bunching up when you run? If not, maybe try wicking socks if you are wearing cotton ones?

Fellow gamer here. :) Buy the wicking socks like LeanButNotMean44 says. I have the same issues with blisters when running or walking a lot. My running partners all say "cotten is rotten". Get several pairs of the wicking socks. They don't rub your feet quite the same way. You'll be able to go longer, farther, and have fewer issues. I even wear them when going to amusement parks or doing things where I will be on my feet more.
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    @frumpjunk They will def. be a future purchase for me this week. Also, all hail the gamers. ^_^ I'm playing Borderlands right now.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    @gvizzle74 My sister has told me about Moleskin and she said it ripped the skin off her blister. Did you have that?

Band-Aid Blister Block has worked for me in the past. They also sell a product that you can put on "hot spots" before they develop into full-blown blisters (try saying THAT 10 times in a row!).
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    @LeanButNotMean44
    This is what I'm talking about. It's not fully formed yet but I can feel fluid.
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    The same on both feet, same spot, same size.
  • peleroja
    Options
    I'm thinking either bunched socks or your toes are curled a bit in your shoes (either because you're unconsciously clenching/gripping them or because your shoes are a little too small for running in) with that spot.
  • AGamingFantasy
    Options
    @peleroja
    It wouldn't surprise me if I did curl. I got sized for my shoes and then went up a size for fit so I'm not sure where I stand there.
  • peleroja
    Options
    Then it might be as simple as straightening your socks (and ditching the cotton ones for something snugger and seamless, wicking, etc) and making an effort to relax your feet, weird as that sounds and unclench your toes. Also, sometimes if my shoes aren't tied snugly enough I find myself doing that in a weird attempt to keep my shoes on my feet.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    You can get twin skin socks that might help.

I get blisters on my arches as soon as I go over three miles. I tried the twin skin socks and whilst they helped with the toe -burning sensation, they didn't fix the blister.

I discovered Engo blister patches. They are anti-friction patches They fix to your shoes, in my case, along they line of the arch where what was happening was my foot catching the edge of where the insole meets the shoe. They last weeks. Expensive, but SO worth it!!! Problem solved!!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like this thread. I get blisters in the exact same spot, so I'm going to use some of these ideas!