1280 calories

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    also, as already mentioned above, sometimes losing slower but happier gets you to your goal faster than going balls to the walls and then quitting, so consider that. You know the whole the tortoise and the hare story.....
  • Kkourt_Love
    Kkourt_Love Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    agnatkowa wrote: »
    Hi. My entry weight was quite similar. For 36 days I am on 1000-1100 kcal diet and I exercise every other day for about 50min (aerobic). I excluded alcohol, sweets and I have discovered that I was always eating little of actual food, most of it was junk. I feel much better than before and already lost 16 lbs. I am using food scale for every meal I prepare and never forget to log things in mfp. Be patient and try not to make exceptions in your diet, it will pay off :wink:

Do not take this advice.

I would fail if I tried that. I wouldn't be able to keep to 1000-1100 cals and work out every other day.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    agnatkowa wrote: »
    Hi. My entry weight was quite similar. For 36 days I am on 1000-1100 kcal diet and I exercise every other day for about 50min (aerobic). I excluded alcohol, sweets and I have discovered that I was always eating little of actual food, most of it was junk. I feel much better than before and already lost 16 lbs. I am using food scale for every meal I prepare and never forget to log things in mfp. Be patient and try not to make exceptions in your diet, it will pay off :wink:

MFP discourages diets like this. Not healthy and not recommended.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie intake should be higher for your height and current weight. Change your physical settings to "active" instead of "sedentary" or "lightly active" and change your loss goal to 1 or 1.5 lb per week from 2 lbs. You will still lose a good amount this way and won't be starving and end up giving up. Good luck in your journey :)
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    I think your calorie intake should be higher for your height and current weight. Change your physical settings to "active" instead of "sedentary" or "lightly active" and change your loss goal to 1 or 1.5 lb per week from 2 lbs. You will still lose a good amount this way and won't be starving and end up giving up. Good luck in your journey :)

Ok I will try that out. I will change it to lightly active. :) thank you for the encouragement.
  • tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, go by what they say, I mean, as a guideline. Go by how you feel, too! Do you have enough energy, how do you feel with 1200 calories a day, is it enough? Pay attention to your carbs and protein, too. If you are working out regularly, like every day, then make sure you are getting plenty of protein!! Drink tons of water!! And if you are still hungry, make sure you are eating enough carbs! At first I was all gun hoe, and pretty much cut out any carbs, and at night, I was starving!! I added in my healthy carbs, and wow, what a difference it made!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Changed it to lightly active and calories have gone up to 1560 per day. I will try this out and see how well it goes. Thank you all for your thoughts.

This sounds much more sustainable for the long term. Good luck!!!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I was trying to lose, I chose the "eating for the future you" method. This involves calculating your TDEE at your goal weight and then committing to eating that number of calories forever (* if you stay at the same weight, and adjusting for age-related slow down in metabolism). This worked for me precisely because I wasn't doing something to lose that I would eventually stop doing. It also generally means eating more than if you are "dieting." This method doesn't work for everyone, but I know many people who have been successful at it.

You say you weren't able to stick with it in the past because of stress, and that might be true, but realize that life will always have stress. You shouldn't try to do something that's impossible when you are stressed. You should choose something you can do successfully most days, indefinitely, through good times and bad, through stressful times and non-stressful times.

The down side of this method is that weight loss is slower. The up side is that by the time you get to your goal weight you will be so used to eating for that weight that eating any other amount will feel ridiculous. With this method, you are investing in the long-term you.

Here's a good TDEE calculator:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Good luck.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Changed it to lightly active and calories have gone up to 1560 per day. I will try this out and see how well it goes. Thank you all for your thoughts.

I was also going to suggest you run a number of different calculations to see where your calories ought to be. Don't just believe the 1st # mfp spits out at you.

Run maintain weight with a sedentary life style, then run lose each 0.5 pounds through 2 pounds. Pick a realistic calories # that you can lower as you get more accustomed to eating at the proper portion size. If you do a drastic calorie drop you will feel deprived & not stick to it. If you do it more gradually you will be able to make permanent changes.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    you dont say how much you actually have too lose?
    2lbs a week is a high target, I set mine to 1lb and sedantary and got 1450 (im 5"4 and weigh just shy of 200lbs)
    i think you should try the 1560 + maybe a few of your exercise calories and see how you go, you can then adjust after say 4-5weeks as you need to
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Ok I will try that out. I will change it to lightly active. :) thank you for the encouragement.

So you're not sendentary? How many steps do you get per day, not including purposeful exercise?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I've calculated your TDEE on three different calculators and I'm coming up with roughly 2200 cal/day. Depending on how aggressive you'd like to approach your deficit, I think it's safe to say that you'd be okay eating even more than the above mentioned intake. 1560 is still more spot on than the 1280 cal/day figure you originally received.

• maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options

You're very welcome :) 1560 will be more sustainable for long term success. You can gradually add/cut additional calories as your weight changes as 1560 won't be ideal after a while depending on your goal. ;)
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would start at the lowest amount of weight loss per week and see how you go. If that's ok then go to the next level, and so forth. Don't set yourself up for failure by trying to reduce by too much. I'm the same height as you. 165 pounds and I wouldn't last one day at 1280 cals! I'm on half a pound a week at 1580 and that's ok. Just!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat 80 calories either way until you really need to. Which will happen if you stick with it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to stick with it the last time due to work stress. It is still stressful at work, but after having tubular adenomas in my intestines and gaining ten lbs in the last two months, I am tired of feeling so gross and unhealthy. I am prepared now to commit to it.

It sounds like cutting straight to 1200 would probably just make you even more stressed out. Try starting at a pound a week loss for your food setting and it will probably be easier to get into the mindset of calorie counting.

As for if walking will help you lose weight, it's just calories in, calories out. So you'll lose more weight with walking, but don't overexercise and under eat or it's going to feel awful.

• sbrodkey
    sbrodkey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I see tons of replies so not sure if this will get lost but here's my take. I would go with 1/2 a pound a week rather than 2 pounds. Weight loss is more of a marathon than sprint; there's no rush as long as you finish. Also exercise is hugely helpful. If you log your cardio in MFP it will automatically recalculate your daily calories, so you can eat more. The point is to not feel starving or you risk not sticking with it. Good Luck.
  • Kkourt_Love
    Options
    mbaby86 wrote: »
    you dont say how much you actually have too lose?
    2lbs a week is a high target, I set mine to 1lb and sedantary and got 1450 (im 5"4 and weigh just shy of 200lbs)
    i think you should try the 1560 + maybe a few of your exercise calories and see how you go, you can then adjust after say 4-5weeks as you need to

I want to lose at least 40-50 lbs. I am testing out how the 1560 goes. The 1280 seemed a bit too low for me.