Too fat to lift

Options
2»

Replies

• silvia32444
    silvia32444 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that took the time to read and answer. You all are nice.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I am in a deficit calories diet, trying to eat mostly fruit, Greek yogurt, fibers, turkey or fish. I lost almost 20 pounds in two months. I started at 211 lbs after giving birth.
    Some days I don't go down with the weight or I even go up a couple pounds !
    For exercise I'm walking 3-4 miles every day or hiking up hill.
    I want to start weight lifting, but my husband says is better I keep walking until I am in the 160 lbs or II'll have the muscles under the fat and I will ruin my progress/diet because I will be starving after workout.
    What do you think ?

Sorry but that is ridiculous. I lost more when I lifted vs just doing cardio. I think you should start lifting now.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely start lifting now. Increasing muscle mass improves BMR. Plus it feels good to be strong.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has said how what the hubbs is saying is ca ca, but...they're right. Hit the weights, and watch his jaw drop when things start to tone, lift, and tighten (provided you don't stop cardio). Then he'll be trying to get on your program! #Wordup
  • silvia32444
    Options
    Yes, this is what I was thinking, to start lifting and don't say nothing, also because my weight now is stalling, even if I keep eating around 1000 calories.
    But I can't understand, really, my husband goes to the gym (I would go to a different gym) and has muscles. In the past, before children, I was going also to do weights.
    And he keeps showing me pictures of fitness models, the ones with my body type, to see how I could be.
    And I would walk or jog faster if I had more muscle.... breathe allowing !
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are truly eating 1000 calories, your weight is probably stalling because you are retaining a boatload of water. Try eating in a moderate deficit while accurately counting and logging calories and you'll lose weight. As a reminder, women's bodies go through a lot of water fluctuations every couple of weeks due to ovulation and menstruation. Don't confuse normal water fluctuation with a fat loss stall.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I want to start weight lifting, but my husband says is better I keep walking until I am in the 160 lbs or II'll have the muscles under the fat and I will ruin my progress/diet because I will be starving after workout.
    And he keeps showing me pictures of fitness models, the ones with my body type, to see how I could be.

Ummm.........I hope these are out of context and he is actually a very supportive husband, because this sounds terrible.

It sounds like you are not too fat too lift. However, I do believe there is a "too fat to lift".....if your body is unable to hold proper form for the lifts you are doing, due to lack of flexibility or fat in the way, then you should not be doing those lifts/movements. Only do things you can do correctly or you are risking injury.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Start lifting. I started at 5'3" and 240 lbs. I'm now 157 lbs and looking pretty darn fabulous thanks to lifting. There's no reason to wait. Start slow to ensure you don't overdo it, but start! Now!!

This is a great point. Lifting when you are bigger will give you an entirely different look when you diet down, even when you are on the heavier end of average/healthy. I'm 5'6ish and hover around 148-150. I look so much better now than I did 15 years ago at the same weight and the difference is the muscle base.

And this.

I'm 5'4" and I look just as small at 130-135lbs compared to other women my height at 120lbs, who don't lift.

BTW I'm heavier in my profile pic so don't judge

Girl, stop. You look awesome in that pic. I can't wait for my arms to have HALF the definition you've got going on over there ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP your weight cannot be stalling eating 1000 calories.. You would be loosing it faster, more aggressively. You are gonna want to revisit calories when you start lifting. Lifting is gonna make you hungry sometimes. Plus you want to get in as much fuel as you can, but keep you in a steady deficit. I hope you are using a food scale to weigh food and log your calories!

For normal water weight/fluctuations, you might want to "trend your weight". Its good for hormonal times during the month (ovulation and menses), sodium, carb intake, muscle repair, hydration and lack there of. You can use the scale as a tool for this.

Lifting now allows you to take advantage of your weight! Newbie muscle gainz are guaranteed, up the protein and keep lifting as you loose weight to maintain your muscle mass as you lean down even further. More muscles mean up swing in metabolism meaning more calories burned.

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is what I was thinking, to start lifting and don't say nothing, also because my weight now is stalling, even if I keep eating around 1000 calories.
    But I can't understand, really, my husband goes to the gym (I would go to a different gym) and has muscles. In the past, before children, I was going also to do weights.

You may not have the energy to lift on a 1000 calorie diet...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I started lifting at the start (215)

Your husband is misinformed

Lift to preserve muscle in defecit and you will benefit from the confidence

I remember a post by someone with the same stats as you, who wishes she had started lifting at the beginning as you did. I think because your TDEE is higher than hers ended up being, and some other reasons.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options

You'd be losing if you were actually eating 1000 calories. There are several causes for not losing:
    1. Do you have cheat days? These can easily wipe out all your hard work during the week.
    2. Common food logging errors. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    3. Over-estimating exercise burns.
  • silvia32444
    Options
    Well, thanks a lot for the compliment, but this is an old picture, about 30 pounds ago (how can you see my arms in this little picture ?).
    I mostly eat food that is already portioned, like yogurts, tuna from can. ...or if I eat a salad I add every ingredient on the calorie counter. If I eat a mango, I always put the medium, so it balance when I eat a small or a big. If I exercise, I know the calculator put more than I really burned, so if I'm hungry I eat half of those calories.
    The fat doesn't go in the way, because is mostly on the hips/legs.
    I think my husband is doing that to give me motivation, because so many times I started diets....but I'm glad he wants me to be fit instead searching another woman. ...
    The doctor suggested that I eat at 1000 calories, because my metabolism is very low. But if I start lifting, I will probably eat some more. I suppose I will have to add protein powder, because I find difficult to eat many proteins.
  • silvia32444
    Options
    Now the diary is public.
    I don't always add exercise.
    Every time there is heavy cream, I am drinking coffee. I don't write water or other drinks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks a lot for the compliment, but this is an old picture, about 30 pounds ago (how can you see my arms in this little picture ?).
    I mostly eat food that is already portioned, like yogurts, tuna from can. ...or if I eat a salad I add every ingredient on the calorie counter. If I eat a mango, I always put the medium, so it balance when I eat a small or a big. If I exercise, I know the calculator put more than I really burned, so if I'm hungry I eat half of those calories.
    The fat doesn't go in the way, because is mostly on the hips/legs.
    I think my husband is doing that to give me motivation, because so many times I started diets....but I'm glad he wants me to be fit instead searching another woman. ...
    The doctor suggested that I eat at 1000 calories, because my metabolism is very low. But if I start lifting, I will probably eat some more. I suppose I will have to add protein powder, because I find difficult to eat many proteins.

Okay so...your logging is not good and I think that's your biggest problem.

You should get a digital kitchen scale. Weigh all solid foods (mango, pork chops, almonds, etc.) Use a liquid measuring cup or spoon to measure liquids. Then use good nutrition info to log them. One super easy way to find good solid nutrition info is to look items up in the USDA Nutrient Database and then look them up in the MFP database to find the one with nutrition info matching the USDA database. You can also use food packaging for nutrition info. Pick the choices based on grams or ounces, not those based on cups or sizes, for solid foods.

Side note: Do you put mayo in your coffee?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think if you are capable of picking something up off the ground that you are capable of weight lifting. No reason not to start, just ease into it and stick to things you can do with proper form.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 325. There is no such thing as "too fat to lift". It sounds more like he doesn't want to invest in lifting equipment just yet.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To fat I am going to lift, and I won't let anyone get me down, because I AM AWESOME.

There. Fixed it for ya.
    arditarose wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Start lifting. I started at 5'3" and 240 lbs. I'm now 157 lbs and looking pretty darn fabulous thanks to lifting. There's no reason to wait. Start slow to ensure you don't overdo it, but start! Now!!

This is a great point. Lifting when you are bigger will give you an entirely different look when you diet down, even when you are on the heavier end of average/healthy. I'm 5'6ish and hover around 148-150. I look so much better now than I did 15 years ago at the same weight and the difference is the muscle base.

And this.

I'm 5'4" and I look just as small at 130-135lbs compared to other women my height at 120lbs, who don't lift.

BTW I'm heavier in my profile pic so don't judge
    You look amazing, seriously, and you're incredibly inspiring! I wouldn't have even considered lifting if it wasn't for your helpful advice, progress and encouragement!