Recomp?

Options
Somebody_Loved
Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,

I'm currently setting new fitness goals and wanted a little guidance. I'm female, 5'6 and have been maintaining my weight around 126-128 for a few months now. My goal is to get to 120-123 and I recently went back into a deficit to get there.

Back in June I ran a marathon and since have been struggling with runner's knee. I'm in PT and the consensus is I need to stretch a lot more and strengthen my hips, glutes, quads, etc. I downloaded the You Are Your Own Gym app and am starting that program today.

Although my goal with the program is to support my running, it would be great to use it to recomp, too (if that's possible). This is my first attempt at any sort of strength program and I'm wondering how to make it the most effective. My original goal was to get to 120-123, but since I've been reading about recomp, I'm a little confused. Do I need to eat at maintenance to support the strength-building process, or do I continue to eat at a deficit to lose more weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes you can use bodyweight exercises as your strength movements, just choose the appropriate difficulty.
    For a recomp you would eat at maintenance. You can eat at a very small deficit while strength training and lose a couple more pounds if you choose & then go to maintenance. Probably not a big deal either way
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You can do maintenance with or without a small deficit. If you have a little more fat you would like shed, you might want to go into a 100 calorie deficit or one that meets the calorie needs of your current and planned training.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @rybo @RoxieDawn - Thanks for the feedback! I was confused reading all the material out there - I thought for some reason I had to eat at maintenance right away. My current goal is 1 lb/week so I'll change it to .5 lb/week to make the deficit smaller.