Sushi newb - what to order?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
Preface: I don't like raw meat. I've eaten it and don't like it.

Hubby wants to take me to a sushi place soonish (maybe this weekend). It has an AYCE buffet and menu ordering, though I feel the buffet would be better for trying something new. I've never had it before, but I have read up on the dishes. I can mostly avoid the raw meat by sight, but I don't want to get something that looks "safe" and I end up with a "surprise".

Suggestions on vegetarian dishes?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Kappa Maki are vegetarian rolls filled with cucumber. Tamago Nigiri is rice with a nice big piece of omelette on it.
    I can't think of any others off the top of my head though and it might be different depending on the place you go to.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Avocado sushi is delicious and is by far my favourite vegetarian sushi option. I also love the inari sushi, which is like a thin pouch of omelette stuffed with rice. YUM. I want some sushi now haha
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    California rolls - it's fake crab meat with avocado and cucumber. Only thing I can think of that would actually be worth the calories. Oh I do like the omelette sushi too but it can cost a ton.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    California roll, sweet potato roll. Anything tempura (fried). Buffet places usually have a lot more than just sushi.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I second the avocado roll suggestion. Beware of tempura style and/or ones with added sauce/mayo if you're wanting to watch your intake.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm not crazy about some of the vegetarian options, but it's usually one veggie that I'm not hip on and I can at least "choke it down", lol. I've never been to this restaurant before, so it's possible it will have Canadian food (fries, pancakes, onion rings, pizza) as well as Japanese food.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Most rolls contain veggies and cooked items. Enjoy, you might be surprised if you try something raw, there's a reason people eat it that way, it's delicious.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For vegetarian rolls, kanpyo (a type of dried gourd) is tasty. Kind of sweet. Kappa rolls, cucumber-umeboshi rolls, anything with tempura pumpkin or sweet potato are also good options.

If you are ok with cooked meat, then unagi (eel), tamago (omelet), and most rolls with shrimp are good. Avoid ama-ebi/sweet shrimp/any shellfish because they're usually raw.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you go to a high enough class sushi place, I guarantee there is a 95% chance you would love the raw fish.

But most likely you won't be lol....so stick to veggie inspired rolls, things with imitation crab in it, anything that says tempura (means it's fried) and you should be good to go.

Now I want sushi.........
  • zyxst
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    If you go to a high enough class sushi place, I guarantee there is a 95% chance you would love the raw fish.

But most likely you won't be lol....so stick to veggie inspired rolls, things with imitation crab in it, anything that says tempura (means it's fried) and you should be good to go.

I'm sorry for inspiring the craving.

The place is called Sun Sushi and I'm pretty sure it's not "high class". I've eaten raw salmon and tuna, the texture was just too icky for me. Things like eel, shrimp, and octopus give me the heebie-jeebies. I keep thinking it's going to get me on the way down (too many horror movies). XD
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

The place is called Sun Sushi and I'm pretty sure it's not "high class". I've eaten raw salmon and tuna, the texture was just too icky for me. Things like eel, shrimp, and octopus give me the heebie-jeebies. I keep thinking it's going to get me on the way down (too many horror movies). XD

So sad you won't consider eel! It's so good. It doesn't LOOK like eel at all, if that helps?

I looked up the menu (I think, I'm assuming it's a chain in Canada?). The rolls are small and nigiri and cones are per piece, so you don't have to do the buffet if you don't want to. There's a decent selection of vegetarian rolls. I'd personally stick to the avocado, oshinko (pickle), inari (fried bean), and yam tempura rolls. I don't like cucumber, but if you do there's a couple of options there. Under the spicy roll, you could get the smoked oyster or California and not worry about it being raw. Egg nigiri is available (which I think is gross, but most people really like), there's a chicken + beef cone if you want to dodge the fish altogether, and a couple of different fish roe nigiri - if you've never tried this, get a single piece and see what you think. I'm a fan. There's a smoked salmon roll, maybe you'd like that better than raw?

There's a lot of non-sushi things on the menu, so you don't have to go hungry if you don't find things you like. Yakisoba, udon, donburi... yum.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love rolls that incorporate smoked salmon. That may also cut down on the 'raw' taste you don't care for.

They may also have "cooked" rolls, if you are otherwise a fan of fish.

As others have pointed out, if your watching calories, watch out for rolls that have sauces or cream cheese.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    if they have a vegetarian menu order off that- no meat at all! I know many sushi places also have non sushi items- tempura is one of my favs! It's lightly battered shrimp or chicken and veggies.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Eel is WONDERFUL, especially with eel sauce, its not raw, so its really just a cooked fish with no fins. All forms of tempura will have cooked meat, I like the nigiri with the japanese style omelette on top, california roll (surimi) and volcano roll (also surimi) are also cooked, softshell crab.

Before i ate sushi, i used to always order Udon soup. Thick noodles and little fried shrimp and veggies to put in the soup, YUM. I also love all forms of gyoza and shumai.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options

The eel, shrimp, and octopus are all cooked pieces, and they are what I would normally suggest to sushi beginners.

Most sushi bars have a vegetarian roll, and many if not most of the rolls are cooked. It's really hard to specify what you should order because most of these places are completely americanized, and they all have their own special rolls that differentiate them from other sushi bars. A spider roll, while usually fried, is cooked. It's a soft-shell crab and rice. Easy and delicious.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato roll is my favorite. They often will have vegetable godzilla rolls which have sweet potato, avocado, cream cheese and other stuff. Otherwise I really like Avocado and Kappa (cucumber) maki. If if they have pickled gourd or pickled plum rolls, I recommend those as well.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Try the good ole California roll, usually it has fake crab meat, cucumber, and avocado.
    Sweet potato roll is really good, usually sweet potato tempura with rice wrapped in the seaweed.
    Do you like Lox w cream cheese?
    Sometimes they will have smoked salmon and cream cheese rolls