Smoothie Ingredients...

Options
I add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 1/4 cup of rolled oats. I feel that they really arent worth the extra calories. What do you think??

Replies

• Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What do you add into your smoothies? I made one today but it wasnt the best!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'd make porridge with the oats, add milk and the chia seeds and some fruit. Much more satisfying and tasty.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So don't add them? Why do you feel they are required?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't make smoothies anymore because they don't fill me up much, and I don't like having to add tasteless stuff to make it more filling...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't add them. Is there a reason why you've added them? Are they helping you hit a nutrient goal (e.g., fiber)?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy the taste or they aren't helping you meet your nutritional needs, then they aren't worth the calories. It's going to be a very individual decision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I think chia seeds are totally worth the extra calories because my smoothies keep me full for so long that I am now able to skip my afternoon snack.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I add spinach or kale for the nutrients. You can't taste them at all. I also add chocolate protein powder because it's yummy and protein-packed. The rest is frozen fruits. I use water, not milk because water is zero calories. But I add coconut on top, or granola, or fresh berries or something for texture so it feels more like food instead of like a drink. YUM.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do they help with taste, satiety, or nutritional needs? If not, don't bother. If they do, but other less caloric ingredients could meet the same goal, try that.

I've recently started craving smoothies for breakfast (I think it's the season and all the fresh fruit). I use fruit and veg, low cal coconut water or just ice, protein powder (perfect use for this vega + greens stuff I didn't like on its own) and that's normally it. But I've been experimenting with some hemp hearts. They don't make it more filling (it's filling as is -- I'm never hungry before lunch, even if lunch is late -- as I expected fat does nothing for me) -- but its an okay source of healthy fat and some protein. I don't add lots, though, since it does feel like extra calories without an obvious benefit. I feel the same way about flax and chia seeds, which have a good fat profile, don't add much to the taste, for me, and don't add to satiety, for me. Oats, I don't see the point at all.

But, for all of these things, it really depends on your experience and your overall diet. (Mine is pretty high fiber anyway, so adding fiber isn't worth the calories.)
  • blondysunshine
    blondysunshine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Dr. recently told me I needed to significantly up my protein intake each day, so I added protein shakes.
    I make mine with protein powder, Healthy Shape Benefiber, frozen berries, and almond milk... I alternate between the types of berries (Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) and using chocolate or vanilla protein powder to keep from feeling like I'm always drinking the same thing... But they are delicious and I have to make myself eat normal meals around them!
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually toss in some protein powder. Since I use vanilla yogurt in all of my smoothies, vanilla protein powder works great. Might try some hemp hearts cause they are delicious, though.
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So don't add them? Why do you feel they are required?

My dad and my sisters rave about their health benefits, but are they really worth the cals??? If not, I can easily skip them.
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you don't like them, don't add them. Is there a reason why you've added them? Are they helping you hit a nutrient goal (e.g., fiber)?

Fiber I guess. I could always use more fiber!