Time frame for improved flexibility

Options
I tried Yoga for the first time last night and it was laughable. I couldn't even get in some of the starting poses. Just trying to sit on my heels was almost impossible. I'm going to stick with it for a bit to see how my flexibility improves. I haven't been able to touch my toes since high school. I was wondering what should my expectations be? How long does it usually take to see an improvement in flexibility if you're moderately stretching every day?

Replies

• Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Try the 21-day challenge - there's a yoga module in there that will have you up and running in no time.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm a klutz, too. I find the best results come AFTER a workout is when I'm at the most flexible. Just an idea
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of flexibility and balance work in p90x3 (and actual yoga too) and I saw big improvements in 3 months
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    You should see improvement in about 1 week if you stretch everyday.
    Just watch out will you, don't stretch unless you've warmed up, hold the stretches for 30 sec, then push further down into the stretch for 10 more secs, relax a bit and hold the stretch like it was for 10 sec. Move slowly out of each stretch, don't just snap out of it ;)

Good luck.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. It's embarrassing whenever I stretch around people. A lot of times when I'm with a trainer or coach they think I'm messing around. It isn't until they try to help me with a stretch they realize how bad I am.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga for a little over a year now. I attend a yoga class once a week and do yoga at home at least 2 other days a week. I have noticed a remarkable difference in my flexibility. I didn't notice it right away, it happened gradual, just keep at it. The only way it will improve is if you keep doing it. The first time I did yoga was laughable too, now I look forward to my yoga nights. I do agree with @Aarthels , I only stretch when I am warmed up. I typically do anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes of cardio before hand, it could be as simple as walking around the block and then do your yoga. Don't get frustrated with new poses there are always modifications and then work up to the more advanced poses. Of course, breathing is so very important!!! I hope you learn to love yoga as much as I do!!!

Namaste!
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting you say stretch after warming up. I've always thought the advice was to stretch before doing any physical activity.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/325618-how-to-warm-up-before-stretches/

There are many that will debate this, but I believe that you should warm up first. It works for me!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before exercise, just afterwards
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    I don't stretch before exercise, just afterwards

Me too!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    I find it interesting you say stretch after warming up. I've always thought the advice was to stretch before doing any physical activity.

There's a lot of new thinking around this.

I did gymnastics until I graduated high school. We always did static stretches then. My son started playing soccer when he was around 10 (15 years ago). I noticed that the coach had the boys doing a lot of skipping, scooping, and similar moves but no static stretching at all. Studies have shown that there are far fewer injuries when people warm up this way.

I run now, which I never did when I was younger, and everything I've been reading about stretching for running points to dynamic warm up moves before the run and then more static stretches after the run. The dynamic stuff before is mostly walking, running more slowly and a few moves like grabbing one knee to your chest while going to tiptoe on your standing foot and other movements which open your hips and activate your hamstrings and glutes.

My husband is just like you. I've never seen anyone else so inflexible in my life. I'd suggest doing something like walking, skipping, jumping jacks, etc. to get your muscles warmed up a bit before yoga starts and then do a little extra static stretching after class while you're limbered up. You should start to see improvement within a few days, really. Every class should have you stretching a little farther and easier, provided you don't overdo it and hurt yourself.

• shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have mixed experience with this. For a couple months, I spent a few minutes every day or two trying to touch my toes, and made only modest progress (got a bit closer, but still several inches from my toes). Recently, I've been trying a little youtube yoga (Yoga with Adrienne), about 2-3 times a week, 20-30 minutes (obviously this isn't stretching hamstrings for the whole time, but there's a decent amount of it). It only took 2-3 weeks to be able to touch my toes! I think doing a variety of stretches (downward dog, forward fold, etc) was more effective than just reaching for my toes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Predicting flexibility gains & improvement is difficult. There is a great deal of individual variability