Biking!

Options
2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    And welcome to the sport of Cycling, It's more expensive that cocaine and just as additive.

So true.....

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    This is a great thread. I'm also wanting to get into biking. It's been since college years and years ago since I rode. I know they say don't buy a bike from Walmart, but because its been so long, I don't want to invest a lot into a bike just in case things don't work out. I would likely be riding on paved trails, or if around my house, a gravel road. Any suggestions?

Try Craigslist, or see if your LBS has a "Used" section. Contract a local Bicycle Club and see if the know of any shops that do.

Wal-Mart Bikes do serve their purpose for some, but if you're wanting to get into for fitness and/or Transportation I would agree to stay away from them. They're made with far lesser quality pieces, most of which are not replaceable at a fair price and the mechanics who put them together are just doing so to get them on the showroom floor. They pay little to no attention to detail.

I would also recommend looking to either a Hybrid or a Comfort Bike. Those are made more for pleasure rides instead of getting out and laying down some serious power. Comfort Bikes will not be as fast or nimble as a most bike but they will be far more pleasurable to ride.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for some motivation, come along and join us on the August 2016 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge thread
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In regards to your back, it's most likely your riding form. Cyclist tend to start slouching and rolling their shoulders forward instead of keeping a solid core, especially as a ride progresses and tiredness creeps in. Ideally, you want your core to be doing the work, not your back.

I'd recommend regular core work to supplement your cycling, it helps. Things like planks are great because they are static just like you are on your bike.
  • AlanBardgett
    AlanBardgett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say - I get sore hands when I don't wear gloves. I have cycling gloves with padded bits and cut off fingers for warm weather. They make a big difference to me.

How are any new(ish) cyclists getting on with clip in pedals? I'm still a bit nervous clipping in and out. Which is why my road cycling is more off road (traffic free track or indoor)

At first, clips suck but will be worth it.

Expect to fall a couple times before you get somewhat steady. And, expect that to be 30 miles+ before you're comfortable. Practice 20 minutes or more just clipping in and unclipping, resting against something. Then, be WAY conservative stopping (unclip one foot 20 feet before you stop, then lean over more than you normally do in normal shoes). I rode 2 months on my mountain bike with no clips, no falls at all. 1 month with road bike/clips, i've fallen over 3-4 times. But, it'll be worth the bruises. Starting with clips is still awkward for me.

I still need to get gloves. I'm hoping the cut out blisters from using the stops.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    How are any new(ish) cyclists getting on with clip in pedals? I'm still a bit nervous clipping in and out. Which is why my road cycling is more off road (traffic free track or indoor)

Bring your bike inside and get in a doorway and stabilize yourself in the frame and just practice clipping in and out. The biggest thing to remember is to unclip while you're coming up to a stop.

I have SPDs on my Road Bike and fixed gear, and Crank Brothers on my Mountain Bike and hard to go without it now....
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that ( if you don't already have a pair ) you get gel cushioned gloves or mitts, I think the gel cushioning is superior to foam padding and lasts longer. Read the advice in a magazine and it's worked for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    If you're looking for some motivation, come along and join us on the August 2016 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge thread

+1
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In regards to your back, it's most likely your riding form. Cyclist tend to start slouching and rolling their shoulders forward instead of keeping a solid core, especially as a ride progresses and tiredness creeps in. Ideally, you want your core to be doing the work, not your back.

I'd recommend regular core work to supplement your cycling, it helps. Things like planks are great because they are static just like you are on your bike.

I second the recommendation to do regular core work.

I find core work and upper body weights allows me to ride comfortably for longer.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I bought my bike at a local shop and was fitted for it then. I'm guessing I just need to adjust my riding form and positioning! And thanks to all for the reassurance that my pace is pretty steady!

Numbness in the hands is pretty typical in today's world. We all use computers, Smart Phones and have "built in" a path to numbness with all of the work we do with our hands for hours and hours each and every day. B) I do a lot of yard work and trail work (plus play piano about 5-6 hours a day) - so my hands have no chance. Trail work is the worst and guarantees I'll be numb in the hands for a few months after the mountain biking season is over and I've finished all the trimming, mowing, lopping, erosion rut repair, but I've learned to do all I can to prevent that.

I experience numbness on all of my bikes at various times. I just focus on keeping my wrists relaxed and straight, not having a "death grip" on the bars where you squeeze harder than is required, shaking out the numbness if it settles in, changing hand positions often (I use the hoods, flats, and drops all the time on my road bike), and living with it. My hands just never get a rest in life off the bike. My guess is you'll learn to relax the hands, move them around for various positions, and your core will strengthen on the bike to get your trio of touch points (hands, feet, sit point) balanced well enough to not have it tipped too much towards the hands.

16 mph is a great average speed for a longer duration ride!!! Congrats.

As others have mentioned, core work, and stretching will help with the back. Try not to push too big a gear for too long of a time as well as that can bake the back into feeling nice and tight.

I gave in this racing season for the year and am getting a regular massage (which I know is a luxury), but my neck and back have felt the best ever this year on the bike and off of it because of it. I go in about once every 2 weeks for an hour session to help recover from mountain bike races.

Keep enjoying your riding. Truth be told - it's never going to be totally "pain free" if you are riding long distances, higher speeds, racing, training, doing intervals, etc... . You just learn to mitigate the discomforts as best you can...

• 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1. 30mi, you are my hero? What is the terrain - hilly or flat.

2. I'm new too, been on the bike for about 2 week in the morning. I just posted some questions and one was about the hand numbness - so it's not just me. That makes me feel better.

Some of your complaint I had. I made a few adjustments. As silly as this is, I went to my chiropractor and told him what I started doing and that my back was wonky in a new area. He made an adjustment and I've been fine since - but he said form will affect my back till I get to that sweet spot.

I also started walking about .25mi (5-7min) at a face pace, then stretch my ham strings, my quads, and I put both hands on my truck bed drop my head and lean back into my butt to pull on my back. The whole warm up takes maybe 15 minutes, but I am an old fart at 41 and am going cold straight out of bed. But with the routine I seem to be feeling better and going further.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My route had a lot of rolling hills, and a few larger climbs. I will try adjusting my hand position! Glad that this thread got so much attention! Thanks all!
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As @kcjchang pointed out not everyone can do a bike fitting right, so it is important that you know what to look for in a proper fit. It is important to know how to assess how well your bike fits you. The initial bike fit might be close, but after you ride some you might need some adjustments and as you ride more and become better conditioned or if you swap out parts you might need to do some adjustments again. Unless your LBS offers bike fitting as a free ongoing service for people that bought bikes there, it would be a good idea to learn to do the adjustments yourself.

I started typing my own explanation of how to gauge your bike fit, but then I found this article ( http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm ), which I am sure does a better job explaining it than I could.

As others have said improving conditioning, core strength, and flexibility will also help with back pain and numbness. For example if you have drop handle bars then while riding in the drop position you should be able to release all of the weight off your hands while still maintaining the tuck position.

Personally I like to do yoga because it helps with core strength, flexibility, and recovery.

@berolcolour if you are still having trouble drinking from a water bottle while riding I would reconsider using clips. One thing to consider is that if you need to make an emergency stop then you need to brake hard (without locking up the tires), shift your weight back (so you don't go over the handlebars), be ready to unclip so that you can put your foot down in that moment between stopping and falling over.

Full disclosure, when I first started using clipless pedals I fell over several times at stops. Including once at a stop light that I tried to time so that I would not have to stop. I reached the stop line and it was still red, so I had to come to a complete stop and I fell over. The worst thing is at that time I always unclipped my right foot first and it was on bottom making it hard to unclip. Oh and there was also the school bus that was stopped behind at what was now a green light waiting for me to get out of the way.
  • AlanBardgett
    AlanBardgett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Truth be told - it's never going to be totally "pain free" if you are riding long distances, higher speeds, racing, training, doing intervals, etc... . You just learn to mitigate the discomforts as best you can...

“It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  • RRRobison71
    RRRobison71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great for you and so much fun. I hope you get a lot of joy from it. :smile:

Agree.