Training for 10k obstacle course

Options
Hi, hoping people can help me. I am signed up to do a 10k obstacle course race in October. May be a bit ambitious as I have only recently started running.

Replies

• rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Rest of post hasn't appeared for some reason. Anyway.. I can run 5k which I'm trying to do 3 times a week as well as strong lifts 5x5 3 times a week. I also do daily walking and horse riding most days. I would really appreciate any tips for training so that I can improve my fitness and not be half dead at end of the run!
  • rachaelbell21
    Options
    Thanks! Where I live is very hilly so all my runs are constantly up and down hills but will try to practice up some really steep hills. It's not a super tough course but includes mainly climbing over things, running through mud and lakes and through tunnels. Just want to be as prepared as I can
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is that you can run a race twice as far as your base mileage. If you're already running 5K consistently you'll have little trouble with a 10K in October. Slowly increase your running mileage over time, the guideline is no more than 10% more miles this week than last. If you ran 5K three times this week, next week you could do two 5K runs during the week and one 4 mile run on the weekend, for example.

At this point I think your bigger concern will be the upper body strength to tackle the obstacles. If you know what types of obstacles they'll be throwing in there you can try to do some things to prepare? Rope climb up a wall? Monkey bars? Find similar equipment at your gym or a playground and start working on it.

Most of all, have fun. Odds are, you aren't expecting to win this thing, you just want to finish. :smile:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I would start training some bodyweight stuff too - push ups and pull ups especially to help you if you have to climb/hang etc. That's always the hardest part of obstacle course type stuff for me personally, and to women in general if they don't already train the upper body, because we don't tend to carry a lot of muscle mass in our arms, chests, and shoulders compared to most men (meaning that an untrained man can often do a couple pull ups and drag their body weight up and over something, but that an untrained woman might not have that ability.)
  • rachaelbell21
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone. Amyrebeccah -it's called the Newcastle stampede. Will work on increasing the mileage and add in the body weight exercises as deffo lacking in the upper body strength! Thanks again!
  • rachaelbell21
    Options
    And definitely not looking to win
  • rachaelbell21
    Options
    Ah thanks! Will look on you tube. And useful info re mud