Training for long distance walking

Options
Does anyone have tips for a beginner wanting to get into long distance walking? I have my eye on the Camino de Santiago in two years. I'd heard stories about pretty fit people who have attempted it who come home with back, knee and calf issues because they hadn't trained specific for LDW. So, any guidance would help!

Replies

• AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Up
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm a Boy Scout leader and when scouts are training to go do long distance hikes the main thing they do is just walk, a lot. One of the boys in my troop just went on a 12 day hike and the only thing he did to train for it was to go walking with his dad. They worked up to going on 3-5 miles hikes in the evenings and longer (I want to say anywhere between 10-20 miles per day) hikes on the weekends.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Id say walking lol

start with what you are comfortale doing and gradually up the distance, once you have got a good distance you are comfortable with then maybe look at your pace (if you would be againts the clock on your LDW) or stay at a steady pace you are happy with.

try and keep a posture (spelling?) while you walk too as it will be easier on your back and joints etc if you are walking well
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's mostly paved roads from what I read. Get accustomed to that and you'll be good. Someone who is used to hiking in the mountains would probably feel the pain walking on asphalt for miles on end.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Invest in quality footwear & stock up on grey wool socks (yeah, I'm old school, I love wool....) and get out and walk in conditions that mimic what you'll be doing as closely as possible.

If you're not accustomed to walking longer distances be sensible and build up gradually. Once you've built up your stamina walking without a pack start walking with a pack simulating the weight you expect to be carrying.

Like any other fitness type of activity cross training would be beneficial (especially core & upper body as, presumably, you'll be carrying a load)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    What kind of distance are we talking here? Either way, just walking regularly, making sure you have good shoes and good form to avoid over-use injury is important. When I was walking regularly I was doing 7 miles per day (not long distance, I know) but what helped my increase my pace and distance was walking on the treadmill occasionally and adding in hill intervals.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did Nijmegan while I was stationed in Germany in the army a while back. I'm not sure how far you are planning to go and how much daily. Nijmegan was 26 miles per day for 4 days with some minor rolling hills and cobblestone roads in places in military gear, boots an a 40lb rucksack. we walked anywhere from 5-20 miles a day about 4 days a week for almost 6 months in preparation. You will get blisters on long distances and learning how to prepare how to handle those will be one of the biggest issues, chafing may be another. I found my feet swole up enough to go up half size in boots after the 2nd day. Ice and elevate your feet afterwards to help keep swelling down, invest in some anti-inflammatory but for now, go walk.........a LOT.
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What kind of distance are we talking here?

It about 800km so I'll need to walk about 25 - 30km a day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking

Great footwear

Hiking socks

Walk with a backpack weighted down
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have you seen the Martin Sheen movie ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    This seems like good advice

I'm kind of jealous TBH ...http://www.caminoadventures.com/getting-walking-fit-camino/
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Have you seen the Martin Sheen movie ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

I have, actually. Anything with President Bartlet has my vote!