Emotional Eating

Options
UUUUGGGGHHHH!!! So many days of making better food choices. I even skipped an emotional binge yesterday and choose healthy!!

Today, I binge and on what...???... Pizza and marshmallow. Not even anything extremely tasty or fantastic.

For me, it is not the amount as much as that I'm doing it solely out of emotion. Even a small bit of unhealthy chosen because I'm in a bad mood tends to lead me to larger amounts in later bad moods...

So frustrated. Really ready to crawl into bed and start anew with a better mind and heart.

Food is not my friend today!!

Marie.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I know know the mfp crowd always promotes calories in calories out but the only thing that has EVER helped me with binge eating is going low carb. After the first couple days I have zero cravings. Zero, zilch, nadda. I'm focussing on 75-100g a day and have no cravings at all between meals.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb in general, but once I've gone overboard with carbs I try to get one or two lowish carb days in there to kind of "reset things".
  • Imagine_if
    Imagine_if Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks AnginCanada & Goldthistime. I agree with you both. I understand the carb thing. I just reset last week and have had the most wonderful low carb, high protein for a week strait.

What are your favorite stress reliever methods, especially in the middle of an event when you can't break away to jog or do an exercise??

Today these cravings were all in my head :'( I'm sure of this because I wasn't even tasting the foods -just stuffing my mouth as I seethed and cried inside my heart and mind. I was just so wound up tight about stuff going on and the kids were having pizza. I'd made a bowl of homemade quick soup. It was pan seared chicken, fresh zucchini and a sliver of red onion. I added water and oregano and pepper. I ate it quickly and walked away from the kitchen. Then as I was still feeling emotionally frustrated and the kiddos were all attacking at once, I saw the left over pizza from last night and ate a bite. Then another and finally stopped after three pieces!! It was awful because I knew it wouldn't help my health or my emotions, but I just didn't stop eating the pizza. Then when my baby walked past with a marshmallow I had one of them too.

My recovery plan is a soft broth with ground chicken for dinner. I also plan to do some yoga to relieve tension, after the kiddos get to sleep tonight, because they'll never allow me to focus if I do it now.

Thanks for the support ladies, it helps to know someone out there cares and understands:) :)

Marie.

• Bedg
    Bedg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the emotional eating. For me it's night time destress eating... a reward for a hard day or just saying forget it and diving into ice cream.... having kids means occasionally having treats in the house... very tempting and at night when I'm tired and the willpower is dwindling. It's the one thing between me and my goal.... grrrr....
  • Bedg
    Bedg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Shall we buddy up to tackle this? I haven't friended anyone on here yet.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Vigorous exercise is my most successful solution to stress. It's tough because stress is physically exhausting and often the last thing I want to do is exercise hard. My second most successful solution is to accomplish something. Usually, but not always, it's some form of cleaning. It helps me feel back in control when I've been feeling overwhelmed and out of control.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know know the mfp crowd always promotes calories in calories out but the only thing that has EVER helped me with binge eating is going low carb. After the first couple days I have zero cravings. Zero, zilch, nadda. I'm focussing on 75-100g a day and have no cravings at all between meals.

That still is calories in/calories out, though. There surely are tricks to being able to stay below your "calories in" goal, and going low-carb is one of them.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    having kids means occasionally having treats in the house

Not necessarily. When I was a kid, my parents kept healthy food in the house, and whenever they wanted to give us an occasional treat, it would be something like bringing home ice cream for us. There wasn't always a constant supply of sweets in the cabinets. There doesn't need to be.
  • ArtsieSarah
    ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with u on this post and going through the same exact thing :/ I like the idea posted earlier about exercising. What about if ur out and can't exercise? I'd like to get some advice on this emotional eating thing too