Exercising to death and loss is slow

Options
Hi, I was 262, now 254.5, 5'4", 61 yo, woman. I work out every day (well, 26 days in July) doing cardio and weights and machines. I have a PT I work with 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes after I do my cardio. On my off days, I swim laps or do water aerobics, flexibility classes or bike classes. I eat less than 1200 calories a day and concentrate mainly on getting 100 grams of protein in which is difficult. I eat protein, vegetables and fruit - in that order. I don't eat red meat or bread. I try to get 10 cups of water in each day. My calorie count is usually around 800-900 a day.

But as of 7/23, I have only lost 7.5 pounds, 5 pounds of that was fat. Haven't lost anything since then. What's the point of doing all this work if I can't lose the weight? My doctor told me to get off the Fit Bit walking and get in the gym. So I did.

Ranting ... sorry.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    How are you determining that you're actually consuming 1200 or less (bad idea...) calories per day. Are you/weighing / measuring & logging every morsel of food that crosses your lips? If not you should start, it's very common for people to underestimate their portion sizes and intake.

Based on the description of your exercise routine I have a difficult time believing that you're this active on less than 1,000 cal per day, exercise takes fuel.

and.....7.5 lbs lost in a month is not a slow rate. Weight loss is not linear.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on this journey for?

7.5 pounds is pretty good for a month...even two.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You definitely aren't eating enough calories (assuming your calorie counting is accurate). Are you able to work with a nutritionist at all? Honestly I think that would be more beneficial than a PT (personal trainer, I assume you meant that and not physical therapist). Other tips I'd have:

-Make sure you are logging/weighing things properly.
    -Try to move to whole foods over packaged goods.
    -Make sure stress is down....this means cutting down on too much exercise. Exercise stresses the body, if you are doing too much for your current level, you could be effecting your weight loss.
    -Make sure you are getting enough quality sleep.
    -Stay consistent....weight loss goes through peaks and valleys and doesn't happen overnight.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    First off, I'm going point out, as I am sure others will, too, you aren't eating enough. I'm not trying to be mean just realistic and I think you may need some harsher language to put the point home. Tough love, if you will.

At your weight and with your activity level you should be eating more. 800-900 calories per day is, frankly, ridiculous, especially since you're working out. There's no reason to starve yourself to lose weight and eating too little will cause you to lose more muscle than you should. In your 60s you should be working hard to maintain as much muscle mass as possible, its loss is what contributes to a slower metabolism as we age. The amount of protein you're eating is not going to help with muscle loss since you aren't eating enough of anything else. You are starving your body and when you do that it starts to cannibalize your muscle mass because it doesn't know when it's going to get the proper amount of food again and wants to conserve your fat stores. Your doctor was right about the gym but your calorie intake isn't supporting what you're doing and it's counterproductive to your long term goals.

If you've increased your exercise lately it's possible that water gain for muscle repair is masking your fat and muscle loss. Hormones and your sodium intake can also cause increased water retention.

How are you validating your calorie counts? Are you weighing your food to be sure your portion sizes are correct? Are you entering your exercise into MFP? I'll assume you aren't eating back those calories since you're eating so little.

Has the scale moved at all since 7/23? A little up, a little down? If not, it could be your scale. Are you also taking body measurements?

No, she is eating enough, but very likely not calculating it correctly.

OP, unless you are using a food scale to measure the pre-cooked weight of the protein you are eating, AND calculating for the fat used to cook it, you're underestimating your calorie consumption, probably by a lot.

Please make sure you're being accurate.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Alas, the weight comes on way faster then it comes off.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Why are you restricting your calories so severely? That is unnecessary and unhealthy. You need to eat to lose not just fat but maintain your muscle.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    A few pieces of advice, most of which echo the good people above me:

1) buy a food scale. I, too, resisted this advice. It's $10 on amazon prime and it will change your life
    2) use said food scale religiously when cooking meals and make sure you log them
    3) If after #1 and #2 you still find that you are eating less than 1000 cal a day- EAT MORE. Starving yourself will work in the short term, that's why anorexia is effective, but it will wreck you long term and it's not sustainable.
    4) I also eat a ton of protein, but 100g/day has gotten easier for me. Foods that may help: Deli meat, turkey pepperoni, surimi, turkey jerky, hardboiled eggs (pop the yolk out if it screws up your fat macros, or if like me, you think its nasty), greek yogurt, pre-cooked chicken/turkey, frozen tyson chicken strips, smoked salmon, nuts, beans
    5) Push your strength training. You'll see faster changes in body comp (hello motivation booster!), it will help you burn more calories, and it will help you build up the strength/endurance you need to push your cardio harder. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. Given that you are 61, its going to be tough for you to "bulk."
    6) Buy a fitbit HR. I had the same issue, I lost almost nothing for a month even though I was logging religiously, running 3 miles a day, and eating less than 1500 cal. During that first month my resting heart rate dropped from 82bpm to 58bpm, which is absolutely insane. My body wasn't letting the weight go, but it was doing something. That was a huge motivator, and once my HR settled down, the weight started to fall off.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Consistency is more important than anything. It took you how long to put the weight on? It did not happen overnight did it? It's not going to go away overnight. Like mentioned above, it's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You're 254 pounds, your workout everyday and you only eat 800-900 calories a day?? You're doing it wrong. Your body would actually respond better if you weren't under nourishing it. Without running your numbers (which I will do for you if you PM me), I would say at that weight you need to eat at at least a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day, plus your workout calories as well. Give it time, then you would start seeing healthy weight loss.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eating low calories (if accurately counted) will result in more weight loss. However, eating very low calorie diet is a great way to get yourself to start binging after a while.
  • tml0119
    tml0119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of feedback from you all. I appreciate it. To clarify some info ... I started back on the journey around June 22. I document every morsel of food I eat on Myfitnessplan. I weigh and measure my food. The PT is a personal trainer :-). Yes, I'm not eating enough but my nutritionist says that as long as I'm getting in my protein, that's a "good start". Had bariatric surgery 3 years ago, lost 80, put half back on. Blood work good - no issues with mal-absorption or vitamin deficiencies. Anyone know a good site or book to help understand how building muscle and losing weight work? Thanks again for your input! Very nice of you to respond.
  • tml0119
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You definitely aren't eating enough calories (assuming your calorie counting is accurate). Are you able to work with a nutritionist at all? Honestly I think that would be more beneficial than a PT (personal trainer, I assume you meant that and not physical therapist). Other tips I'd have:

-Make sure you are logging/weighing things properly.
    -Try to move to whole foods over packaged goods.
    -Make sure stress is down....this means cutting down on too much exercise. Exercise stresses the body, if you are doing too much for your current level, you could be effecting your weight loss.
    -Make sure you are getting enough quality sleep.
    -Stay consistent....weight loss goes through peaks and valleys and doesn't happen overnight.

Great pointers: I try to use fresh foods since packaged foods have so much sodium. I am stressed in my life right now and I'm working on that and you know, I may be exercising too much. And my sleep has been awful lately.

Thanks again for the pointers!
  • tml0119
    Options
    You're 254 pounds, your workout everyday and you only eat 800-900 calories a day?? You're doing it wrong. Your body would actually respond better if you weren't under nourishing it. Without running your numbers (which I will do for you if you PM me), I would say at that weight you need to eat at at least a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day, plus your workout calories as well. Give it time, then you would start seeing healthy weight loss.

Hi, Yes, I'm supposed to be eating 1200 calories a day. That is my goal. Lately, I've been able to get it up to 984 and sometimes 1100. So I'm getting closer. Thank you.
  • tml0119
    Options
    How are you determining that you're actually consuming 1200 or less (bad idea...) calories per day. Are you/weighing / measuring & logging every morsel of food that crosses your lips? If not you should start, it's very common for people to underestimate their portion sizes and intake.

Based on the description of your exercise routine I have a difficult time believing that you're this active on less than 1,000 cal per day, exercise takes fuel.

and.....7.5 lbs lost in a month is not a slow rate. Weight loss is not linear.

Yes, it's true. I have been this active since June 22. And yes, I can tell that it is wearing me down because of not eating enough which is why they boost my protein from 90 to 100-120 grams a day.
  • kellygreen1991
    kellygreen1991 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably on starvation mode. It thinks you're starving so its storing everything away. It will even out as long as you consume healthy calories and stay active. Also, once we hit a weight, our body fights to keep or bring us back to that weight. Hence part of the difficulty of weight loss. It honestly sounds like you are taking all of the necessary steps and as long as you keep up with the doctor visits and nutritionist. Good luck on your journey! :smile: