Alcohol and Weightloss

Options
Just curious to know your thoughts on alcohol and Weightloss, specifically wine. Does the consumption of wine significantly prevent loss of weight?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Just keep it within your calorie allowance and don't drink so much as to crowd out necessary nutrition
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It does for me because wine invariably leads to cheese and biscuits ;) And too much wine leads to a stodgy hangover breakfast the next day. Am cutting out all alcohol for 6 weeks because I've seen how much it's helped me before. You could try adding soda to white wine though- you'll feel fuller on fewer calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    You can "budget" calories for alcohol in your diet but they have no nutitional value.

So, unless you exercise to offset the alcohol cals, you will have to give up something nutritionally to drink alcohol.

Given this, I prefer to simply give up drinking any alcohol while dieting or training.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with alcohol is I end up eating more.

My deficit level doesn't allow me a lot of extra calories. So the issue I run into is that I eat my regular calories to meet energy needs. Then I drink extra calories with from the alcohol. The alcohol makes me hungry and reduces my will power, which in turn leads to eating more.

Yes I still drink every couple weeks, and it hasn't really hindered my weight loss. But if I were to drink regularly, I imagine that my loss would stall simply because of all the extra calories.
  • andreast1970
    andreast1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love red wine. That *kitten* partly caused my type 2 diabetes and liver damage. I've read up on the Mediterranean Diet which allows to drink wine -
  • trixiesmith
    trixiesmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol completely. It's liquid calories I can't afford and I'd cut out all other liquid calories bar cups of tea, so it made sense. I also craved food more while drinking, and it made me lose motivation to exercise the next day.

I don't miss it at all now, feel so much better for it. I'm not saying I'll never drink again but that if I want it I'll have it. I haven't this year at all!

Personally, I'd rather eat something than drink it but it's all subjective depending on what motivates you. I know for some of my friends no wine would be a deal breaker.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up alcohol when losing weight because I didn't want to make changes I couldn't keep for life.

I had one or two drinks nearly every day.

Granted, I did an average of 18,000 steps a day to earn those calories (and all the chocolate I love), but I love exercise.

Calorie counting is all about prioritising.

Eat what you most love, within your calorie limit, and you'll lose weight and be happy.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I dont count it, if I did id be starving by end of the day and would be more likely to binge......so as long as I dont indulge in more than a glass or two I still lose steadily. People say 500 cals of wine is same as 500 cals of junk food but my body disagrees with that, its never stopped me losing. If.... as I get closer to goal my weight stops or slows down ill cut it out completely but until then ill enjoy my wine. it works for me but maybe not everyone, im still eating way less than I used to so in my mind its the junk food that got me fat, not a glass or two of wine.
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've never found alcohol to be a big problem because for some reason, I am just not that into drinking. Oh, sure, I'll have a very occasional glass or two of a good shiraz or try a new mixed drink (very, very seldom), but otherwise, it's just not a big issue. Plus, I prefer to have my wits about me anyway, much of the time.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I think these things vary from person to person, it's a bit like sugary fizzy drinks, some people like them so much they budget calories for them, others don't find them to be worth it so they either don't drink them or keep them for an occasional treat. Log them for a while so you can see the effect on your calorie budget, then make a decision on it.

As for whether alcohol specifically can make weight loss difficult, well, it's pretty high in calories, but if you budget for it that's not really a problem.

The only other issue is that large amounts of alcohol can cause blood sugar to crash, which can then make you hungry and inclined to eat more. It's a bit like sugar in that way, but it's exaggerated by the fact the alcohol reduces your inhibitions and so may make you more likely to act on the urge to eat. But there is no "magic" in alcohol that makes you put on weight, CICO still applies.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Dieting is easier with less alcohol. It's not the calories as much as what it does to my food inhibitions. None isn't an option because I'm intent on living this lifestyle forevermore. So smaller amounts, less frequently. A lot like the way I aim to treat chocolate cake.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I found out that vodka has calories. How can something that looks like water and doesn't even freeze have any calories? lol. I couldn't believe it.

I do log alcohol, because it can add up more than food. I don't drink beer (can't stand it) and wine occasionally. I like mixed drinks, apple martini, margarita, etc.
    I try low calorie / no calorie versions of the mixes or I substitute. For example you can by a Margarita Light bottle (the drink you mix with the tequila) and it has 0 calories. It tastes alright. I add a little extra lemon juice and 2 packets of Truvia (natural sugar substitute like Stevia) and the only calories I'm drinking is the Tequila.
    I couldn't find a no calorie mix for the apple martini, so most of the time I drink diet Coke with vodka or rum, or diet sprite with vodka, etc. Not the best, but if I want to have a drink, that's what I have.
    When I go out I ask if they can make a Skinny Margarita (even that's about 100 and some calories) or ask for rum and diet Coke.

I used to drink more, but when I realized how many calories are in drinks, I cut back. My other problem is that I get hungry and have cravings after I drink (I guess our inhibitions lower and say "screw the diet" lol). So when I allow myself to have a few drinks at home, I make sure I have enough calories left for the drinks and for a possible snack.
    I actually have 1 cheat day a week (I still log everything though) and I have drinks then, and not worry too much. Even then I don't go over 1800 calories or 2000 was the most, so it's not even bad.

But in my opinion, if you don't consider your drinks, and have a few drinks every week, your deficit could be eaten up by them and then you wonder why you aren't losing.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for 3 months just to break the habit of having a couple glasses every night for no reason without thinking about it, partly t get rid of those calories but also to avoid the change in snacks after I've had a glass or two.

I have re-introduced it now and find it much easier to moderate having had a few months off. I find I had the same reaction to other foods that I cut out of my diet for a period of time...some of them I stopped even liking all together (like sugar in my tea).

Nothing is permanent, it is possible to say "I'm making this change for now and I'll reevaluate the situation later to determine whether or not it's working for me".
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Well, I do like my wine, but even consuming the same number of calories per day I lose weight faster without it. I wonder if it inhibits fat metabolism. Anyhow that is my experience.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As long as I drink in moderation and stay within my calories, I still lose while drinking. I needed to find a way to incorporate it so I can maintain this as a lifestyle, rather than a diet. I have the most success when I "bank" exercise calories during the week so I can drink on the weekend. If I drink too much, I don't lose (of course). I also don't lose any faster without alcohol, so I see no reason to avoid it altogether. :wink:
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have two glasses a night....but I measure it. I still lose weight.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I stopped having breakfast to make room in the old calorie budget for alcohol. For me, it's not that much of a sacrifice. Like the others have said, you can drink alcoholic beverages and still lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit.

If drinking makes you throw your weight loss goals out the window, then you'll have to make a decision.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink wine, but have a couple of beers over the weekends. Turns out, Coors light has about half the calories as my favorite beer (Beck's), so I usually choose that now. It fits nicely into my calorie plan without pushing me over the limit.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet, this is a lifestyle change. Unless you plan on giving up alcohol for the rest of your life, learn how to work it in occasionally. It doesn't have to be everyday, not even once a week. Just enough so that you don't feel like you are depriving yourself.

Measure your drinks accurately and if they fit in your calorie goal, you are good to go.