Best Exercise for Fat Loss

Options
I have been stuck at a plateau for overa month! I am doing the 30 day shred, I run, I walk, elliptical, yoga, pilates, cycling class, I like to mix it up. I am so frustrated that I have been stuck and I am wondering what types of exercises are most effective for weight loss. I am between 5'4 and 5'5, I started MFP at 135. I have been stuck around 130 for over a month and I can't see to get below 128 and if I do the next time I jump on the scale I am 130 again or more. My goal is 115-120, I am not sure what I am doing wrong, any advice or insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights. 3x weekly. Add more weight each week.
  • Neen
    Neen Posts: 6
    Options
    zumba! :)
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I would love to have your problem lol....sorry just had to say it
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Grab a bike! get off the machines and actually go bike riding. The wind, hills ,traffic and other various tangibles make it perfect for shredding pounds. You can also go for a hike or go kayaking.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All I can share is what has worked for me. It all depends on how you feel after you workout. Are you exhausted and are you giving 110% for your activities? It's about constantly challenging yourself...for example, when I get comfortable with my run, I increase the speed just a bit to keep me working (or you could increase the distance you go...all depends on your own goals). I also look at how much I sweat when I workout, especially in cycling class. How hard you workout DOES MATTER....if you are just putting in the time and aren't challenging yourself, your body gets used to that fitness level. Best of luck to you!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

^^^^ ditto.... and research Tabata! Nuff said!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Weights, weights, weights!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Think about your food... your body needs fuel. Try to eat a little more and see what happens. I have heard lots of stories where that helps. Also think about zigzagging your calories :wink:
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I will definately try them all and see if that helps me over my plateau. I do think I need to focus on more weight lifting as I rarely do it, I have never tried zumba but I would like to, Tabata looks interesting too! I do feel I am challenging myself and working hard, but I can always strive to push even harder! Thank you again for your suggestions I appreciate the help!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

This. This is all I do and lose about 1% BF per month.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I also just upped my calories by putting it at a half pound per week rather than a pound to see if that helps! Thank you!
  • sidewinds
    sidewinds Posts: 14
    Options
    Weight training is good, studies have shown that your body is still burning calories from weight training up to 36 hours after the session. Cardio burns calories, but when you're done you're done. I have used running to drop most of my weight, but I also try to cross train 2 or 3 times a week. The obvious thing to check is your calorie intake and make sure you're not overestimating anything, and being sure you hit your goal everyday.
    Good luck.
  • Neen
    Neen Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I will definately try them all and see if that helps me over my plateau. I do think I need to focus on more weight lifting as I rarely do it, I have never tried zumba but I would like to, Tabata looks interesting too! I do feel I am challenging myself and working hard, but I can always strive to push even harder! Thank you again for your suggestions I appreciate the help!

I would totally try Zumba..... It is very fun, and a very hard workout! :) I hope you find what you are needing! :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

This. This is all I do and lose about 1% BF per month.
    She didn't ask about BFP, though, the question was weight- swap out half your body fat for muscle and you'd weigh considerably more. Are you gaining weight, good sir, in the form of muscle mass from all of your heavy lifting?

My 2 cents on the question- run. Run until you are tired, then keep running. Despite the questions people have about the exercise calculator on MFP, you aren't going to find a way to burn more, feel better, and see the sights around town. (Try plugging in 60 minutes of running, at any pace, vs. 60 mins of weight lifting. Then do the run and laugh your way to the dessert bar!)

Unless you are an athlete trying to make weight for a competition, you want fat loss, not weight loss. If all you want is weight loss, then amputation is the quickest route.

When I was above 37%-30% body fat I was gaining about 1lb of muscle per month while losing 1% to 2% BF per month on a caloric deficit. Now that I am around 25% I am gaining roughly ½ lb of muscle and losing the same percentage of BF per month since I am still maintaining my caloric deficit until 15% body fat. So my overall weight it still decreasing while my lean body mass is increasing.

You will not “swap out” your fat for muscle. You will gain some muscle mass but you will lose considerably more fat. With running alone and no strength training you will lose muscle mass in addition to fat, and losing muscle mass will lower your metabolic rate.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're already at a pretty healthy weight for your height, so it pays to choose weights over cardio. Oh and eat as well as you possibly can.
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You will not “swap out” your fat for muscle. You will gain some muscle mass but you will lose considerably more fat. With running alone and no strength training you will lose muscle mass in addition to fat, and losing muscle mass will lower your metabolic rate.
    [/quote]

GREAT POINT
    amanda
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I swim as it doesn't pound your joints and apparently as you use every muscle in your body you burn loads of calories. Xxxx