Juice?

Options
I know a lot of people are just gonna say drink water but is sugar free juice you mix with water really bad for you??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, it's fine, log it, drink it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Do you like it? Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day? Do you feel good after eating it? If the answer to all three is "yes" then it sounds great. If the answer to any of them is "no" then you might consider eating something else.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sugar free juice? Maybe I am missing something, but how is that possible?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Sugar free juice? Maybe I am missing something, but how is that possible?

Squash, cordial... fruit flavoured stuff you mix with water....?
  • sachasalviax
    sachasalviax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yeah squash you can get sugar free squash loool
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What is sugar free squash? Squash as in the vegetable?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Squash would be what I call cordial - sweet, flavoured syrup that you mix with water.
    I don't drink it, but if you like it, go for it.
    I wouldn't call it juice though, but I guess that's just semantics.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Squash would be what I call cordial - sweet, flavoured syrup that you mix with water.
    I don't drink it, but if you like it, go for it.
    I wouldn't call it juice though, but I guess that's just semantics.

My husbands family call is juice.... I call it squash...
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I've never heard cordial/squash called juice... probably a regional thing.
    And I suspect that Aussie labelling laws require a drink to have a minimum percentage of actual fruit/vegetable content before you can call it juice, so it's likely to be less common here.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think it is a northern England saying. Like calling Dinner tea and calling swede turnip.
  • richimcgee
    richimcgee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you eat fruits and veggies on the reg id stay away from juice or anything else concentrated, sugar is the devil. Seems anything man made is not good for your body or health drink that water!
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it is a northern England saying. Like calling Dinner tea and calling swede turnip.

Swede and turnip aren't the same thing.

But yes, squash or cordial or diluting juice are a European thing. Incredibly common and one of those things we're always surprised you can't find anywhere else!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    richimcgee wrote: »
    If you eat fruits and veggies on the reg id stay away from juice or anything else concentrated, sugar is the devil. Seems anything man made is not good for your body or health drink that water!

Op - disregard this silliness.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Sorry mate...this is national tabloid celebrity bandwagon kool-aid, you'd be best to take it with a pinch of salt

It's lowest common denominator marketing from the powers that be

It's bad, easily and thoroughly debunked bull research from the likes of Lustig

Nothing wrong with sugar apart from the fact it is combined with fats and carbs to make highly palatable, calorie dense, easily obtainable foods ..which people who are not active enough overeat ..hence eat too many calories hence put on weight hence become at risk for developing weight related illnesses like insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes etc
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

I drink 100% fruit juice almost daily.
  • sachasalviax
    sachasalviax Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Omg looool I'm English Juice, squash WHATEVER you wanna call it
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    ok, I just looked at these on tesco's website. They look yummy! The no sugar added ones seem like a good option. Black currant? Yum, now I'm jealous we don't have this in the US!
  • richimcgee
    richimcgee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lol eat and drink whatever you want, you don't know what's in that juice though is my point, it's processed food, I make shampoo, conditioners, and lotions for a living, y'all would think twice before putting any of that trash on your body if you witnessed the process, but I'm sure there's a study out there paid for by the industry that will debunk that too. 100% juice...with preservatives that burn your face off in the factory if yer not careful, try a little pure potassium sorbate on your skin sometime, it's wonderful!! I spilled some preservative on myself just yesterday and had to take a 15 minute cold hose shower. Take care of yourselves. Btw does 1 cup of water literally mean 1 measuring cup full on MFP?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't call it juice either (juice is the liquid from a fruit, it's sugary because fruits are), but sure -- log it if it has calories and enjoy.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I thought there was a rule about eating/drinking anything that wasn't boiled in England?

Seriously: The further away from whole food, the more potential for additives, artificial sweeteners, etc, that could be harmful in the long run.

Today they are starting to think artificial sweeteners are just as bad as added sugar. If you go with juice, try to get it without added anything.