Weights vs running - feeling overwhelmed.

Options
I'm hoping for some advice on regards to how often I should workout. I've lost 70kgs and have managed to maintain a steady 60kgs for about 2 months now with a healthy clean diet of 2000 to 2400 calories each day (I was eating about 1300 a day to lose the weight). For my workouts I do cardio (either a 7km run, Fitness Blender HIIT, or 30 minutes on the cross trainer) about 5 to 6 days per week and I have just started lifting weights at home about 3 or 4 times per week to build and tone muscle. Truth is, I used to like working out before I started adding weights but now I feel overwhelmed that in order to be toned, I most likely have to lift as well as do cardio. I love how much faster my muscles have toned up since using the weights but I just don't think I can carry on doing this much exercise forever. So I'm wondering if maybe I can lift weights only once or twice a week and still maintain the muscle I've built by doing my cardio 5 days per week still. Surely running is great for toning and will still help me build and retain muscle tone? I don't aim to look like a female body builder but keeping my butt and thighs toned without having to fit in as much weight work would be great. Any advice? Thanks so much for your time :)

Replies

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The key to any fitness regime is the sustainability. Are you training to run for a 10k or marathon or just because you enjoy running? Unless you are, maybe cut the cardio back a bit to make room for the weight training. If you are already comfortable working out 5-6 days a week maybe work in a switch.
    Mon-Wed-Fri is weights. Tues Thur Sat is Cardio. Sun, REST!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    The key to any fitness regime is the sustainability. Are you training to run for a 10k or marathon or just because you enjoy running? Unless you are, maybe cut the cardio back a bit to make room for the weight training. If you are already comfortable working out 5-6 days a week maybe work in a switch.

That is my routine almost exactly. Technically, I do run on my lifting days. But it's less than 2 miles total running to the gym and back so I just consider it my warmup/cooldown.

I guess it comes down to what's your goal? I think for strength training you can get away with 2 days full body, but the results are better with at least three. I only went down to 2 days when training for a half marathon. I love lifting and think it massively improves my running, but if you don't think it's worth it don't do it.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

That is my routine almost exactly. Technically, I do run on my lifting days. But it's less than 2 miles total running to the gym and back so I just consider it my warmup/cooldown.

I guess it comes down to what's your goal? I think for strength training you can get away with 2 days full body, but the results are better with at least three. I only went down to 2 days when training for a half marathon. I love lifting and think it massively improves my running, but if you don't think it's worth it don't do it.

You've just answered your own question, if you love to lift and its improving your running (which you seem keen to continue) You just need to find a structure that suits you, one that you don't feel is over working yourself and is manageable with your social and work life. Its a fine balance but once you have it, your running will reap the rewards.

Edit

My bad I thought you were OP.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you want to look the part, then you have to do the work.

Lifting is also good for maintaining muscle mass as you lose weight and can also help your running as @JenHuedy pointed out.

That being said, if you are going to dread it - then you may not stick with it. It's up to you to decide what your overall goals are and how you are going to work towards them.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless lifting is your main focus, 2 days a week of a simple, whole-body routine is sufficient to maintain or perhaps add a modest amount of muscle, and help you maintain your weight loss.
  • adescut
    adescut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I run 3x a week and cut back to lifting weights 2x a week. I do a full body lifting routine and still can see muscles. I was hating 3x a week lifting.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In my experience I was an avid Runner often winning 5ks if not overall then definitely age group and female divisions. But then I started lifting heavy doing StrongLifts 5 x 5 and once I started getting over my body weight in a lot of the lift my running definitely started to struggle. There was just no time to recover to keep excelling in both. Since then I've been working to find a balance. And it's all about balance. These days I'm doing CrossFit and still getting my runs in. If I have a race that I really want to do well at then I cut back on the heavy lifting comma