Ugh I ran too quickly

ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
And pulled a hamstring muscle :( Any ideas how to go about it now?
Thanks!

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    ice, advil and time are your friends. See a Doc if pain persists longer than a few days or intensifies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2016
    Ice, rest, see a doctor if it's not getting better in a week or so
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) don't try to rush the recovery or run through the pain.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Not to scare you, but I pulled my hammie while sprinting in Feb and didn't sprint again for 2 months. In the meantime, I walked, rode a stationary bike, and when it didn't hurt to walk, I jogged. When jogging was completely pain free, I resumed sprinting.

Be patient or you risk further damage and longer healing.

(My husband kept telling me that a hamstring injury can put a professional football player out for a whole season... it's not something to mess with!)
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Thanks for all the advice! Think I'll need to swim for some time instead..
  • Dano47
    Dano47 Posts: 7 Member
    I injured my hamstring on an hill doing a race. I treated it but, but returned to pushing it too soon, which lead to an MCL sprain that took me out for 8 months. Please be patient not to rush your recovery. Stationary biking is great. No strength training too early.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Foam rolling once the accute initial pain subsides. And sports massage if you have access. My son tried to recover on his own and was out for months. Two weeks with a PT massaging it did more than 3 months of rest and reduced training.

http://www.thephysicaltherapyadvisor.com/2015/07/22/how-to-recover-quickly-from-a-hamstring-strainpull/