Healthy snacks

Options
SarahJLong1388
SarahJLong1388 Posts: 9 Member
Eating junk food is hard especially when you got the munchies. What I've been doing lately is buying stalks of celery, cutting them into bit size pieces, and keeping them in a ziplock Baggie in the frig, and what I do is ill buy spinach dip, hummus, and guacamole mixed with salsa, and instead of eating chips I'll use the celery bites as "chips" and use one of the dips. It's incredibly fleshing and good snack idk just thought I would throw some tips out there for new dieters.

Replies

• heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! Do you measure the calories too? For my snacks I like to buy them prepackaged so I don't have to do any weighing. At Kroger they have prepackaged veggies with ranch dip (160 cal) and I also like the 100-calorie nut packs.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I might like to add, by prepackaged I mean it has all the nutrition info on it :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are tracking your dips as they are relatively high calorie. I can easily eat several tbs of hummus or spinach dip without blinking an eye.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Country Archer True Protein Bar is awesome. It's a meat protein bar, 110 calories, 20G protein, no weird ingredients. That and fruit, full fat string cheese and almonds. I also drink naturally flavored sparking water, which is yummy and gives me something to occupy my "snack mind" when I'm not actually hungry.
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Quinoa is high in carbs but protein, fiber, amino acids and minerals in it are like off the charts. 100 gm cooked quinoa has 120 calories in it.
    I cannot vouch for its health content but it sure is tasty.

Ingredients
    • Quinoa, cooked
    • Veggies chopped, as per your prefernce
    • Skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
    • Pizza sauce
    • Chili flakes

Directions
    1. Put pizza sauce in a microwave-safe bowl
    2. Layer quinoa on top of the pizza sauce
    3. Cover the quinoa with cheese
    4. Add chopped veggies
    5. Top the bowl with more shredded cheese
    6. Sprinkle some chili flakes on top
    7. Top off with more veggies.
    8. Pop in the microwave oven for 2 minutes and serve

http://www.fabhow.com/make-quinoa-pizza.html
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Baked chickpeas. Drain out a can of chickpeas and sling em on a baking tray. Sprinkle with plenty of salt, pepper and cayenne or chili flakes. Bake at around 180C for 20-30 mins. Give them a shake every now and then so they don't stick.

Keep an eye towards the end of cooking so they don't burn. Even so, the more well done ones are wonderfully crunchy and the less well done, yummy and chewy.

Will store well a few days in an airtight container.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is high in carbs but protein, fiber, amino acids and minerals in it are like off the charts. 100 gm cooked quinoa has 120 calories in it.
    I cannot vouch for its health content but it sure is tasty.

Ingredients
    • Quinoa, cooked
    • Veggies chopped, as per your prefernce
    • Skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
    • Pizza sauce
    • Chili flakes

Directions
    1. Put pizza sauce in a microwave-safe bowl
    2. Layer quinoa on top of the pizza sauce
    3. Cover the quinoa with cheese
    4. Add chopped veggies
    5. Top the bowl with more shredded cheese
    6. Sprinkle some chili flakes on top
    7. Top off with more veggies.
    8. Pop in the microwave oven for 2 minutes and serve

http://www.fabhow.com/make-quinoa-pizza.html

I just discovered how good quinoa is I'm have to try this for sure!
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I just discovered how good quinoa is I'm have to try this for sure!

Well this one here can be used as quick office lunch too. All you've gotta do is follow the steps 1-7 at home. Pack the bowl and take it to office with you.

Use the microwave in office to prepare it in 2 minutes. :)
  • kharve09
    kharve09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Baked chickpeas. Drain out a can of chickpeas and sling em on a baking tray. Sprinkle with plenty of salt, pepper and cayenne or chili flakes. Bake at around 180C for 20-30 mins. Give them a shake every now and then so they don't stick.

Keep an eye towards the end of cooking so they don't burn. Even so, the more well done ones are wonderfully crunchy and the less well done, yummy and chewy.

This sounds really good, I'll have to try it soon! Do you know how many calories or servings it makes?
  • makrogurl
    makrogurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options

These are so good! My kids (ages 3 & 7) love them, too.