Fat Free Salad Dressings

Options
mijomac
mijomac Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone suggest a fat free salad dressing that actually tastes good? How about a recipe? Anything?

I love salads but, because of the taste of the fat frees, I don't/won't eat them now. I've tried mixxing hot sauce and horseradish in with it to try to improve it - nada, zero, zilch. HELP!!!

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Why do you need fat free? I don't think there are any good tasting fat free dressings unless you just use a good vinegar. But you need some fat to help absorb all the nutrients in the veggies so use 1 Tb of an organic good dressing of your choice or make some with oil and vinegar and you're good to go!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I use just the hot sauce. Cholula or La Morena.

Or half tablespoon of olive oil when I have the calories (all 60 of them). Obviously this has fat but is delicious.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Also, salsa.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I use Maple Grove Farms fat free poppyseed dressing. Perhaps not the most nutritionally perfect, but it tastes good, is fairly low cal and help me eat 3 cups of mixed lettuce and other veggies.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't use fat free dressing because of all the sugar in them. Balsamic vinagrette would be about it. I prefer full fat dressings, current favorite is Chipolte Ranch.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    White wine vinegar.tablespoon olive oil.tablespoon low fat yogurt.teaspoon honey.teaspoon mustard.salt..
  • tenreps
    tenreps Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything that is fat free,as tryett says to much sugar and also read the rest of what is in it
    wow!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Skinny girl dressings are pretty good! Way better than walden farms and only ten cals each
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of fat free you are after. Fat free "creamy" dressings are generally a (taste) disaster. But Whole Foods sells some pretty tasty fat free salad dressings: they're essentially fruit juice and emulsifiers. There's an orange one and a pomegranate one, as I recall. I found them in the cheese section.

Or, lemon juice and dijon mustard is pretty good. I would usually add some olive oil too, but it works without as well.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Balsam vinegar or salsa...beyond that, most of the fat free dressings are pretty awful. Unless theres a specifc reason you need avoid fat, generally it's the calories in the dressings that are the real issue. Maybe consider some of the Light ones? TMarzettis has a line of dressing that start with 'Simply' on the label, and have decent light options.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar (they vary in taste, find a good one) or red wine vinegar plus mustard (again, choose based on taste). But like others have said, why fat free? I find both of these (and other vinegar-based dressings) are improved with just a little olive oil. You don't need nearly so much as in the classic vinaigrette combination to get the benefits, and olive oil is not bad for you. (Having a bit of fat with the salad helps with absorbing all the nutrients, too, but I always recommend having something with some fat on the salad, like some sort of meat or cheese or seeds or nuts or olives or avocado, so don't rely on dressing for that.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you love salads BECAUSE of the dressing you used to eat with them. Reduced portion of dressing you like is fine. Just beware of the amount of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you want something low in calories and that actually tastes good, try Newman's Own Sesame Ginger. It is only 35 calories--and has many uses, not just for salad dressing.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ganzelly wrote: »
    Why do you need fat free? I don't think there are any good tasting fat free dressings unless you just use a good vinegar. But you need some fat to help absorb all the nutrients in the veggies so use 1 Tb of an organic good dressing of your choice or make some with oil and vinegar and you're good to go!

Agree with this! I used to eat fat free dressings but I really hated the taste. These days I make my own full fat dressings (Google or Pinterest for good recipes) and I measure my serving. It's totally worth it...I eat more salad this way and enjoy it much more.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Fat free usually means lots of sugar and in the end more calories. I prefer full fats myself. You feel more satisfied with less(or at least I do). Plus healthy fats are in fact... healthy. You should eat them.