Conscious Living

Options
I have lost lost and gained and lost the weight all over again, but have I really changed my relationship with food? Has my mind and body reaped the benefits?

Today I'm attempting a challenge to prove to myself that I am what I eat and will change who I have become by changing what I eat. I have become a angry, anxious, insomniac with borderline type two diabetes, lower and slower productive physical and mental citizen, with an even lower self esteem all while playing Russian roulette with hypertension loaded with live rounds of cholesterol, sugar, sodium and trans/fat.

The challenge a 20 week whole food plant based diet. I will regularly post however will only have the numbers at a latter stage when I am able to schedule a full physical at the docs. So here goes... day 0

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for someone to advocate for unconscious living for the purposes of debate?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Interesting. What are you eating now? What will you do after the challenge is over? By "plant based" do you mean only plants (vegan) or that you eat all foods but mostly plants?
  • ozayr
    ozayr Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Right now I have been on a high protein low carb diet. I do consume low cal processed foods. Yes vegan with no animal based proteins and no processed foods or refined grains. To the former question, don't you think we have all been subjected to advocation of unconscious living at some point?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it's a stupid idea, but maybe you could achieve the same results without going from one extreme to another? Have you prepared yourself - decided on your definition of "processed" and "refined", learnt how to cook balanced and complete meals with so many very strict limitations, what to do/eat when out with friends or with your family? How do you see yourself eating after eating an unusual diet for 20 weeks?
  • midna1316
    midna1316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I'm not exactly the poster child for success, but having a plant-based diet for about four months made a huge difference for me. I learned how to cook, improved all of my numbers, and really improved my relationship with vegetables. I did gain some weight back after introducing some meat back in, but I will never eat the way I did before again. I later had to stop eating all dairy, soy and gluten (basically everything processed) for a year while my youngest breast-fed and that was an eye-opener as well. If nothing else, you will be opened up to new possibilities at the end of your challenge! You've got this!
  • ozayr
    ozayr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kommodevaran you have summed up all my fears.
  • fit_apple
    fit_apple Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am on my 3rd week of a vegetarian diet, I think. I'm looking for more people who are vegetarians or vegans. I'm interested in your journey. Good luck.