Weighing myself at night.

Options
So I have this horrible habit of weighing myself multiple times a day. I weigh once in the morning, once around noon, and once at night before I go to bed. I know my weight fluctuates throughout the day, but it's always so disheartening to see the scale number go up 5 lbs from where I started in the morning. Any tips as to how I can stop torturing myself like this?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Put your scale away until you get a handle on how this is supposed to work. The scale is just a tool in the MFP weight loss tool box, as is your food scale, your exercise clothes, what have you.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Weight will fluctuate hugely throughout the day and even from day to day, and as you say all you are doing by checking multiple times in the day is causing yourself anxiety. If you want a reason not to do it, then remember that stress hormones and weight loss are not friends!

For consistency always weigh yourself in same conditions, (I recommend morning after toilet break but before breakfast). If you have to feel free to weigh every day but note that even that will vary somewhat and you need to be looking at the trend over time. (I weigh once every morning but only update MFP on Mondays using an average of the previous weeks measurements so as to see what's going on over time)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    throw it away and have you weighted and measured at the gym once a month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stop weighing yourself, look into some self help techniques or counselling if you find this very difficult.
  • TonyMo25
    TonyMo25 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Get a sledgehammer. Take the scale outside and swing away lol