Starting C25k and sore

Options
I am trying C25k and my hips are really sore. I'm about to start week two and am not sure if I should skip a day to give my hips a chance to rest. Does everyone do this every single day? I'm 47 so not a spring chicken but I really want to get through this, this time. I've tried before and neve gotten thru the program. Opinions please?

Replies

• Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My partner does the c25k and he does it every other day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should be doing it every other day at most.

are you stretching thoroughly after your run?
  • DazzlingKim68
    DazzlingKim68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not stretching. Duh.... guess that would help. Definitely will start that. Thanks.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's designed to be done every other day with a 2 day rest after run 3. So if you ran and finished week 1 yesterday then your next one should be Friday.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I went through the program with no problems, but I only ran three times a week. Give your body some time to rest if you aren't used to running.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i did every other day. give your body a chance to recover! Also, stretch! You can't stretch enough!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    active stretch before
    run every other day at most
    go slow. and then go slower
    stretch after

i like to moon salutation before-yoga
    foam roll and sun salutation after
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    C25K is meant to be a 3-day a week program. You need to rest up between days to give your body time to heal and rest. New exercise of any type causes micro tears in the muscles that need to heal. This is part of the strengthening process.
    Space your training out for 3 times a week for running C25K. If you want to exercise on other days, choose something low impact for awhile. As your body strengthens, you can add more high impact and your runs will be getting longer as well.

• the_quadfather
    the_quadfather Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if your truly going couch (mostly sedentary, or haven't really run before) to 5K, you have to take days off. I would encourage active rest, by taking a light walk on the non-run days, as this can actually be helpful.

Once you have built up to where you can do a 5K, if you want to do more than 3 days a week, that's fine, but you still have to give yourself rest days. I don't think anyone should run more than 5 days per week, personally.

I used to run that much. Now, my fitness regimen is much more diverse. I might only run 1-2 days per week, with martial arts, arc trainer/elliptical, strength training, etc... mixed in. I still have at least one rest day per week, if not two.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    C25K is usually based on 3 runs a week - the programme I did certainly was. Rest days are important!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    as everyone already mentioned, you're supposed to do it 3 times a week,and not daily.