Half Marathon Training - Help needed

Options
Hello everyone.

I was hoping for a bit of help. I wanted to start a training program for a half marathon because I thought it would be a fun way to loose weight but also to commit myself to a program that will boost my fitness and give me a bit of confidence.

I would be a beginner however I have ran for a few years now, nothing past 10K though although once a few years back I ran 7 miles. However my fitness was better back then and I was much slimmer.

I would like to commit to a program that is for beginners but also where I can do some weight training days. I am just so overwhelmed with all the programs, I'd like some guidance.

Ideally I'd like the program to be free and nothing to crazy that is going to put me off, for example a rest/cross training day would be great.

Also any tips would be great. I run a mile at the moment at around 9 minutes 30 seconds.

Any tips are appreciated and please add me if your a keen runner!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    when is the half marathon?

there are plenty of beginner programmes, google is your friend. most of them include suggested cross training days too.
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to do a race in 12 weeks.

I have googled a lot of programs but I just have no idea which one to go for. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations based on there own experiences.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have googled a lot of programs but I just have no idea which one to go for. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations based on there own experiences.

how many miles per week are you currently doing?
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    At the moment I run between 3-4 times per week, running between 3-4 miles each run. So maybe 10- 15 miles per week? Each week would change really.
  • TavistockToad
    edited August 2016
    Options
    i made up my own plan, but it was based on Hal higdon's training plans i think.

you might want to check out the long distance runners group on here.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think if you are already running regularly you are not really a 'beginner', even if you are a beginner at half marathons. Avoid plans that are designed to build up actual beginners from no running at all and pick one that starts at around the amount of running (frequency and distance) you are doing now. Something like this http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-150-plus-half-marathon-schedules/99.html should work well.
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

If you have any tips on diet, clothing etc that would be great. I need to find a good pair of running tights now :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

If you have any tips on diet, clothing etc that would be great. I need to find a good pair of running tights now :)

are you in the UK?
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Yes I am in the UK
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Yes I am in the UK

i get a lot of my running stuff from sports direct. i like the Karrimorr running leggings, I've had a couple of pairs for 2 years now and they're washing really well. they're often on sale for 2 for £18 as well

also treated myself to some lovely Nike leggings that were obscenely expensive after my first ever 10k!!!
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Great I will check it out!

I'm very nervous about starting a program as I am worried I won't finish it. I am already putting pressure on myself before I have even started!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Great I will check it out!

I'm very nervous about starting a program as I am worried I won't finish it. I am already putting pressure on myself before I have even started!

If you haven't already, enter the Half Marathon. Having a paid for commitment may give you the motivation to start and complete the program you have chosen.

Don't fret over not finishing the program, just get today's workout done and plan to do tomorrows.

Pick a program. It is just that easy. Find an intermediate program. Do the first day, make a plan to do the next days work and continue. You have a race day planned, gotta get the work in. ;-) For me, after a 5K on Memorial Day (May 30) a local running club contacted me with a Half Marathon Training course. I spent the $150.00 and like it. Sure it is the basic type of training but now I have someone (the coach) to talk to and ask silly questions. (Going slow really helps?). Perhaps you have a running club or a neighborhood coach to help you along.

Gradually increase your miles to about a long run of 10 miles. Slow is good. We apparently need to train ourselves to burn fat and not carbs in our training. Pick a plan, find a coach, and get 'er done.

My Half Marathon is September 25. My long Saturday runs are now up to 11 miles. Weekly up to 30 miles.

Above all else, have fun and enjoy the trip. Apply only enough pressure on your self to do todays training.
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Thank you Pondee :)

I am checking out a few races but at the moment I can't find one that gives me enough training time. Id even just like to commit to a training and finish it.

Back in 2012/2013 I was in the best shape I have ever been. I trained hard with running, weights and on top of that I taught my own fitness classes in the gym I worked at. It's amazing what 2 years travelling will do to your figure haha and I am just finding it all a bit overwhelming. I just need to get on it and stop complaining haha
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've used Hal's beginner program as well for my first half marathon. It is definitely manageable within 12 weeks, so check it out and it is free! Good luck!
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have downloaded Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 training schedule. Wish me luck, I plan to start on Monday.

Any other runners out there, please add me. I'd love some motivation!
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Oh another thing, as I mentioned in my original post. I'd like to really do some weight training as a part of my program. Has anybody else done this?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Btw, don't know where you're based, but half marathons on 30 October include: Worksop, River Thames (Walton), Luton, Newcastle Town Moor. :)
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing, as I mentioned in my original post. I'd like to really do some weight training as a part of my program. Has anybody else done this?

Running "off" days are spent cross training with weights. (Sundays are rest days). I've been using FitnessBlender.com with a set of PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells. The set I have adjusts from 10 to 50 pounds, it can be added to up to 90 pounds, but that ain't happening soon. They also have a set that runs from 3 to 24 pounds, of thereabouts.

I have recently joined a gym as the heat and humidity some days make running outside just too painful and a good treadmill runs a couple of thousand dollars (That is many, many $20 months at the gym). There I have found the assisted pull up/did machine. (Someday I'll get back to being able to do pull ups unassisted). But I'll go there, do a warm up run on the treadmill and do some resistance work, ab work and stretching. Or call up FitnessBlender on my home computer and work out in the basement with the PowerBlocks.

I alternate running days with lifting days trying to get a full body workout with the resistance training. I like compound lifts getting my body to act as one unit in stead of focusing on particular muscle groups with each exercise. To each his own.

You could also throw in a body weight routine after/before your run: planks, pushups, burpees et al.

Training for the Half Marathon and all round fitness. No exercise/activity is off limits to, at least, try.
  • TravelBear87
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's asvise/help :)