New guy, runner guy, wanna go faster guy

Options
Howdy all, just started using MFP recently. I quit smoking and became a runner about a year and a half ago. Since becoming a runner I dropped 10 pounds, but after that found I have to control calories to keep dropping. I've dropped 25 pounds since I started running and counting calories. I am 5'8" and around 160 now, which I thought would thrill me. But now that I'm here, I want to lose another 15 pounds. Many of the guys I run with are taller than me and weigh 10-15 pounds less than I do and it makes a huge difference for running. So I'm hoping to to hit 145 and maintain. Every pound you lose supposedly subtracts 2 seconds per mile in speed, so I figure 15 pounds will get me 30 seconds faster per mile. Any other runners here working on their weight?

Replies

• Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    I am! I lost 15 pounds and dropped 5 minutes off my half marathon pace and increased my bike speed by a couple of miles per hour. Since I've been racing my weight loss is very very slow because you don't want to be calorie deficient, so it's a fine line. I haven't seen the 30 seconds per mile - wow - but that would be great!
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I began running on January 1st and am trying to drop a considerable amount of weight. I'm still extremely slow but am pushing forward trying to drop down to around 180 lbs. Since I'm at 250 right now my times in races aren't very impressive, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just finished my first 10k on the 4th. I have a half marathon in October so I have a lot of work to do / weight to lose over the next 14 weeks.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm trying to get back to my race weight just 6lbs to go and trying to get to my 2hr 59 marathon goal too
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Really! Does less weight also make it more effortless to run? My knees and hips give me issues, and I'm more of a jogger than runner. (an 11 min mile is good for me)
    I'm interested in your knowledge!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I started running about 3 months ago. I'm up to 8 miles now. I run 'old man' speed but when I lose weight, I feel good and want to run faster. I am around 222-226 lbs (i fluctuate), so I have about 40 pounds to lose until I get to 185.
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't classify myself as a runner, but running is a part of my workout routine. I've lost 39 pounds since January, and running has played a huge part in it for me. I've never been a runner before, so the workouts are REALLY tough for me. I did the couch to 5k program, and I ran my first 5k on May 21st in 36 minutes. Everytime I run and get comfortable, I inch up my speed on the treadmill, and it really helps to burn extra for me. If you are going for distance, I can't really comment...I can barely run 3 miles as it is! I hope you find the way to get you to your goal. I'll start training in January, 2012 for my first sprint triathalon...best of luck to you!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    hey, welcome!

i dont know that i'd call myself a runner, i dont usually run more than 6mi at a time.
    right now my max speed is an 8mm, and i'm hoping that if these last 10lbs of mine ever come off i can drop to around a 7:30

i read its 3sec per pound, and i'm sticking with that :wink:
  • tfemerson
    tfemerson Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm training for my third marathon in November. I was a stay at home mom for 5 years and just recently came back to work, where my routine SUFFERED! So after signing up for the marathon, I've committed to get back out there and lose about 10 pounds in the process. I'm a fairly slow runner with the fastest marathon at 4:30, so I don't intend on winning any races.

I don't really find that my weight affects my speed, but rather my muscle tone. When I cross-train, I'm much faster. If you wanna go faster, get with the weights a couple days a week and you'll see a difference. At least I did.
  • sidewinds
    sidewinds Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Let me see if I can comment on a few of the comments: SuperTracyLynn -
    Yes, losing weight makes a HUGE difference on the ease of running. The less you weigh the more effortless running feels. I have directly experienced this myself. My first 10k (first race actually) was in august of last year, I finished in 1:10:24, an 11:22 per mile pace. I was at close to 185 for that race. Since that time, giving up smoking, a steady diet of 10-20 miles per week, weight loss, and speed work, my last race (5k) I did 7:26 per mile. I would say if your knees and hips are bothering you there are a few things you can do...
    Stretching / yoga helps me tremendously. Find a routine to stretch out all the stuff that attaches to your hips and knees! It will help. Of course losing weight will help as well, and finally, look at your form. Running correctly (for your body) can make a giant difference. I recommend reading 'ChiRunning'. I read that soon after I started running and the concepts in there are really solid for form. Are you a heel striker? There is a lot of debate about heel striking vs ball / midfoot striking, but i can only say from personal experience, I ran on my heels my whole life, and couldn't run more than a 1/4 mile without pain. As soon as I switched to forefoot/midfoot strike, it all changed for me.

For all of you wanting to go faster, I struggled along with a group of guys that are VERY good runners for months, and I did make a lot of (painful) improvement - but as soon as I started showing up on speedwork day, the sky opened up for me. It's the only way to become a faster runner really. And the faster / harder you run, the more calories you burn. I woudn't call myself an expert on anything, but I'm glad to share everything I've learned from running with guys who are a)really talented b)really knowledgeable runners. Several are coaches so anytime I need advice I just ask!
  • sidewinds
    Options
    rseitz101, I wouldn't argue any of that with you. You sound like a guy who's been doing it longer, better, and faster than I ever will!
    How I'd love to say I ran a sub 16 minute 5k!
    Glad to have you on here. I just know my own body, and I have plenty of FAT that is unneccesary on my body and have directly experienced improved running results from losing it.
    I do try to get with the cross training, it helps a lot, and especially trying to drop weight, the weight training seems to really help!
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as rseitz101, I'm 5'9" and I was around 170-175 in college and I didn't have a problem running low 16's. I've been told many times in the past year that I run fast for my size, i.e., you're fast for a fat guy lol. Right now I'm running around 18:30 for a 5K at 195lbs.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Makes sense!

Just a couple things...

For the record, I'm 140# and 17% body fat.

I agree with the yoga/stretching. Any you particularly recommend? I went to physical therapy and they gave me a couple stretches that are good, but I think there's room for more.

How long did it take you take to chantry our stride? I think I'm a proper-posture runner (back straight, even stride, mid foot strike). I'lll have to check out that book, I'm definitely interested!

What are your thoughts on a person's natural inclination to be a sprinter or distance runner? I understand some people are fast and long, but i question if the majority of us tend toward one or the other.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    nice to get a really good runner thread heheehe, interesting on the concept of build though - i'm ashamed or was at the time to have been overtaken by someone much larger then me in a marathon in scotland where i finished in 3hr 27min - i use to think watch out for the skinny people as they'll be fast but not so often the truth, people asume I'm a sprinter because I have a lot of leg and its alot of muscle - i've only 15.4% body fat on a good day but i do have a comfortable cruise weight but my mindset is for the long slog not the top speed glory, I've run a 5k inside 16 mins just, 10k i slowed but was marathon training when i raced achieving 39:39 and marathon so far on race day topped out at 3hr 27, training got me to 3hr 15min but i failed to make raceday i know i have a sub 3hr in me and thats the goal - the challenge of distance is the great stress reliever for me
  • sidewinds
    Options
    Tracy I would just look for a program that is specific to your area of problem. That's what I did, and it turns out that a lot of people have created specific routines for specific problem areas. I bought books that deal with low back pain and do the stretches / yoga / pilates routines that they recommend. It turns out tight hips cause all sorts of problems with the lower back!

Wendy I have a friend who ran a 3:05 marathon and he told me you would be stunned at some of the people (body types) that can run a 3:05. I think sometimes in long distances it's more about who has something left in the tank than any particular build... There is one thing I do believe about being lighter for a runner, it reduces your chances of injury and def. less pressure on the joints!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    To the OP,

Good job on getting back into running. and all the weight loss.

I was a sprinter/hurdler back in college. Hated distance. After that was done I bulked up lifting weights. Then I stopped that and started getting a bit squishy. So I started running again. Took me quite some time to keep building the endurance, but it came. I'm still no speed demon @ distance by any stretch, but I'm happy with my progress. I can run faster 5k times now than when i was in college. ~15 yrs later
    In the process I've also dropped about 15 pounds, and I'm about as lean as I'm going to get. I will say that with running I have to watch my food more than when I was lifting and had a low BF%.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Makes sense!

Just a couple things...

For the record, I'm 140# and 17% body fat.

I agree with the yoga/stretching. Any you particularly recommend? I went to physical therapy and they gave me a couple stretches that are good, but I think there's room for more.

How long did it take you take to chantry our stride? I think I'm a proper-posture runner (back straight, even stride, mid foot strike). I'lll have to check out that book, I'm definitely interested!

What are your thoughts on a person's natural inclination to be a sprinter or distance runner? I understand some people are fast and long, but i question if the majority of us tend toward one or the other.

I too think yoga is awesome. I mix it up with dvd's & classes. Some more to stretch and loosen up, others to build up the heart rate a bit. Lots to search on the internet.

I've also read Chi Running and loved it. I think I already had a fairly natural stride from sprinting, you are always on your toes there. I think one of the things that helped me was making my stride efficient.

My inclination was 100% sprinter. I've had to work for every second of gains in my distance running. Fortunately they are still coming, but it was a long road just to get here.
  • BigAL456
    BigAL456 Posts: 56
    Options
    Have you tried working out to Insanity? I've worked out to it twice and lost alot of weight and fat. I'm not a runner, but people I know who run have improved their time after doing Insanity. It's cardio intense.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    Hey! That's awesome! I picked up running to help with weight loss and so far so good! Just a little of 30 pounds dropped. (Being only 4' 10 every little pound shows!) I've ran several 10Ks and halves. I'm not running this summer since almost every day has been over 100 degree F outside... my next half is in November so hopefully the temp will be below 90. I'm a 'back of the pack' kinda person. I'm not running to win just to finish, :) Just completing a half is a HUGE accomplishment for me. It's amazing how much of a confidence booster running provides.

Welcome to MFP and good keep running!
  • rseitz10001
    rseitz10001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to be friends with you! All of you. Mostly.