DVD workouts for Overweight People

Options
Does anyone know a good Dvd workout for me, I have been struggling throught the P90x workouts but being 353lbs they are not easy and I can only do about 50% of the workouts (I spend most my time doing Cadrio and Kenpo). I would like a workout the I feel like I can complete without struggling so much. My main goal is to drop the weight so I can then do the P90x to firm and tone up.

Replies

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think the Biggest Loser workouts would be good, althoiugh I never did them....P90X is not really for overweight people...don't waste you workouts....go to that later.
  • NicholeTrussell
    NicholeTrussell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly you should try the Bigggest Loser DVDs...they are really good and have different levels of difficulty. I have the yoga, bootcamp, cardio max, and power sculpting...they are awesome! BTW...I am at 396 right now with bad knees...so it I can get through...I am sure you can!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What about a walking work out?

I've just found Leslie Sansone's walk away the lbs dvds. When I fist heard about them I didn't think a walking workout could cut it, but doing her 3 miles walk away the lbs for abs I burn just over 500 calories in 45 mins!
  • ecansino
    ecansino Posts: 2
    Options
    The biggest loser videos are a good start. They work for my husband.
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I would suggest the biggest loser workouts also!!! There are some big guys on there too that have been on the show....you can do it!!! just get moving!!!
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    try Zumba, no floor activity, all standing up and moving. A few strenuous moves, like kicks but you can modify that.
  • urastupidchimp
    urastupidchimp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of overweight people have success with the JM workouts like 30 day shred. It's only about a 25 minute workout but it definitely burns some calories!

And I know that mostly women do them but my boyfriend does them with me and just uses heavier weights :)
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone (sp?) Walk Away the Pounds. Her DVD's are great, but my personal fave is Walk Your Belly Flat....now if I could just figure out where my kid put it....hmm....anyways, she breaks them up into miles. Walk your belly flat is a 3 mile DVD, but you can choose if you want to do one or all of the miles.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can start with Power 90, it is the one before P90X. That is definitely a good place to start. The focus is on both strength training and cardio.

BTW--P90X is for overweight people. Hundreds of overweight people have gone through and completed the 90 days (me included). Like Tony says, "Do your best, and forget the rest!" As long as you know you are putting in 100% effort you WILL see change. One day you will look back and remember where you started and will be proud of how are you've come.
  • vmrink
    vmrink Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm doing Turbo Fire. I'm now on week 4. I started at 289 and I'm now I'm 277 as of my end of week 3 check-in (7/4). That's 12 lbs in weeks. It is geared more towards women, but there are guys in the video working out as well. Also, it's VERY fast paced and there's a lot of jumping, but there's a person doing a modified version, still fast though. You may want to start with a simpler version, Turbo Jam.

There's no way I could do the P90X or Insanity workouts at the weight I'm at now. I don't have the stamina/endurance just yet. I'll probably try them once I've dropped quite a few more pounds. Good luck!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do not suggest P90X for people who have to loose 100 pounds! If someone has not worked out at all...should start slow..and build up....
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I have to agree with the other posters that've said P90X is definitely NOT for overweight people, from what I saw when I had my friend's copy it's for people that are already pretty fit and want to get into even better shape.

For me, I started with just walking. I began with a "back yard mile", which was about 20-minutes of straight walking in a circle around my back yard at night, usually just before bed. Eventually I was able to do more and more of these circuits around the yard, and it finally got to the point where just walking around the yard didn't feel like enough for me, so I started waking up earlier in the day (a change in work schedule helped prompt that as well) and started walking my dog for 45-minutes. While I was doing these walks, every chance I got I tried to beat my previous distance (thank you CardioTrainer/Noom for tracking that info for me!) Eventually, I got myself up to about 3 miles in that time.

These 45-minute walks continued until just recently when I increased to 50-minutes, and then today I walked for an hour with my dog, averaging 4.5mph! I also started a Couch to 5K program yesterday, as well as Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (which might still be a little intense if you're as out of shape as you say). I plan to eventually move on to more advanced exercises (Insanity, I'm looking at you!) when I'm a little more fit. The important thing is plan short-term, achievable goals. Once you hit those goals, that is your new benchmark (meaning you shouldn't do less than that if at all possible) and a new goal comes into view.

Also remember that this journey isn't like a quick walk to the corner store, it's more of an epic quest; there will be victories, set backs (I won't call them defeats unless they result in a revert to previous, bad habits), plateaus, and challenges around every corner.

"Courage is not doing something in the absence of fear, but rather doing something despite your fear." (not sure who coined that, or a similar, phrase first but it's appropriate I think.)

If you need help and encouragement, feel free to send me a friend request here!
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Great question, great thread, great responses. Very helpfyl yall-thanks!
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    case and point for me...I started doing turbo Fire and I am wore out after maybe 20 minutes!! I know this isn't the right pace for me but it's fun getting my heart rate up like that and I keep pushing myself to do more....I also have the slim in 6 dvds that I do and the walk away the pounds dvd...those are more my speed....but I have also started doing the couch to 5k!! I am on week 2 workout 1 tomorrow...i'm excited because I think this well help with my endurance and one day i'll be out doing Charlene on turbo fire!!!
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansome Four Fast Mile DVD and the EA Sports Active on Playstation 3. I rotate between the two and love them both. Good luck to you!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love the Leslea Sansone DVD's. She is awesome. Started off with the twenty minute one work out. It was great. Then I worked my way up to the two mile.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is good for toning (it doesn't give a big calorie burn - right around 150 for me and I'm hovering around 330lbs right now)

I didn't care for the BIggest Loser DVD's. Maybe it's just me.

If you like to dance the Dancing With the Stars Latin Cardio dvd is fun

While she's annoying as hell, I also like the Leslie Sansone DVD's.

If you have cable, also check out your on demand programming, you can 'try out' quite a few on there, to find something that you like. Also, Netflix is a good source.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I love Hip Hop Abs. I myself am bigger, currently 307 (down from 313 2 weeks ago), and I also have a bad knee. It gets me sweating and I love the music, and the time really seems to go by fast.