Need to find TIME!

Options
Hi,

I sit at a desk all day and my problems is finding time to exersize! I know, I know everyone says that but I get up at 6 AM - and don't get home in the evening until almost 7PM (I do force myself to walk home in the evening, so that's the only 45 minutes of walking exersize I get a day!) then it's time to make dinner, do some chores, check homework etc.... and before I know it, it's 10PM! Time for bed. Any ideas on how I could fit a bit more exersize in without waking up earlier? Something that only takes a few minutes but burns lots of calories??

Replies

• ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    The chores and dinner prep are loggable exercises, and quick calorie burners I've found are squats, which can burn a lot per minute (but you have to calibrate the calories burned based on your weight using a formula if you're just using your body weight and no added weights.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have?

If you have 20-30 minutes, I would look into 10-Minute Trainer. That has gotten some good results from what I understand. Not GREAT but it's better than nothing. It gets you sweatting in no time!

It will burn about 100-150 calories on average for that 10 minute workout from what I understand...your results will vary of course.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight not exercising much if you watch what you eat, eat clean and dont cheat on your foods. I am a huge exercise person, but if you cant make time, then make sure what you eat is healthy and no junk, then you should be able to keep on losing without worrying about adding extra exercise. But, if you can, just waking up a hour earlier, going to bed a hour earlier will give you that extra time for YOU time...
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I'll echo 10-min Trainer. I've had several clients use it that are in similar situations and get some good results.

We all have the same 24hrs in a day, it's about how you use them. Consider getting 1-hour less sleep, waking up at 5, and doing a workout. Studies show that if you work out first thing in the morning you'll be more productive and feel less drained during the day. Try it for a week and see what happens. You may just surprise yourself :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    30 day shred dvd is only 20 minutes long and after youve done it your gonna be ready for bed. its a great workout.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    there are tons of 10 min exercises! ive got several dvd's ranging from cardio kickboxing, to resistance band traning to yoga that are broken down into 5 10 min segments... you can do one or all! if you dont want to buy DVDs there are websites that have exercises on them to watch and follow along... and there is always the Wii or xboz kinnect that you can purchase exercise games for!
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    People have already suggested it, but 10 min DVDs and workouts are a good idea. I've got a DVD called Blast off Belly Fat and there's something like 5 workouts on there but they're all in 10 minute sections to make it easier to fit into your day.

Also look at this on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyvodXghXBs the whole thing is more than 10 mins long but over several different videos (as you can only fit so much in one video on youtube), each individual video is about 10 mins though so you could always do one video when you've got 10 mins spare.

Hope this helps

xx
  • joehempel
    Options
    30 day shred dvd is only 20 minutes long and after youve done it your gonna be ready for bed. its a great workout.

Then you aren't eating enough beforehand.

I do P90X, it's 75 minutes 6 days a week...if you get some carbs in you before hand, and drink something to recover (like chocolate milk has a 4/1 carb/protein ratio) you'll feel better, your muscles won't be as sore. I do this on 4-5 hours of sleep eveeryday due to my schedule, and don't crash out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Could you do something on your lunch break? A 20 minute walk every day would definitely make a difference?
  • sqvash
    sqvash Posts: 17
    Options

Then you aren't eating enough beforehand.

I do P90X, it's 75 minutes 6 days a week...if you get some carbs in you before hand, and drink something to recover (like chocolate milk has a 4/1 carb/protein ratio) you'll feel better, your muscles won't be as sore. I do this on 4-5 hours of sleep eveeryday due to my schedule, and don't crash out.

30 Day Shred is a great "starter" workout for people who haven't been working out a lot. It's a "high intensity" work out. I wouldn't suggest relying on it for more than those "30 day"s, but it's a great starting point!

Another idea, since you already walk home...wear you workout shoes home and start jogging/running that stretch. But keep it to 45 minutes. So if after a few weeks you find you're able to run home in 20 minutes, keep jogging around the neighborhood until the normal time you'd be home if you had walked. That's not time you're used to having, so don't allow yourself to walk through the door!
    Try small hand or ankle weights during this trek, too.
  • sherine8
    sherine8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wow, i really need to start doing more exercise. i do spinning 3times a week, but i dnt know any good work out dvds out. Help!!!
  • joehempel
    Options

Another idea, since you already walk home...wear you workout shoes home and start jogging/running that stretch. But keep it to 45 minutes. So if after a few weeks you find you're able to run home in 20 minutes, keep jogging around the neighborhood until the normal time you'd be home if you had walked. That's not time you're used to having, so don't allow yourself to walk through the door!
    Try small hand or ankle weights during this trek, too.

That is an awesome idea!
  • ShabbyAbby007
    ShabbyAbby007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

That's brilliant!! Thanks!
  • 1ArmyMom1
    1ArmyMom1 Posts: 94
    Options
    There are a lot of 10, 20, 30 minute workouts on Exercise TV or Fit TV so there are a lot of them on Demand for those stations if you have them... you can find the 30 Day Shred on there that some have mentioned but there are a whole variety of exercises from dancing to yoga, etc. There is a whole section of 10 minute workouts
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend getting more out of your 45 min walk home. Alternate speeds, try for hand weights or something.

You could also get a stability ball, weights, or other equipment to use at home. Doing some arm / thigh / ab work later in the evening could be done without interfering with anything else. As bad as it sounds, I know I like to watch evening TV when I unwind from the day, and sometimes I won't want to miss something to put a workout video on. That way you can still get some strength training in.
  • alison_cpb
    alison_cpb Posts: 23
    Options

This is a fantastic idea... there are numerous "Couch to 5K" plans out there that you could use to help with this so you push yourself a little more each week.

I have basically the same schedule you do but I DO get up at 5am to get in a 60 min run/walk combo before I have to get the family up and out the door by 6:45am. It was hard at first but now I HATE to miss it... I feel soooo much better on the days I get up and run!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have busy kids and work full time. I say plan ahead. There are many things you can cook ahead of time and freeze. When you get home just thaw and reheat, viola! We do some cooking on Sundays for those kinds of meals.

How about working out on your lunch? I do that from time to time when I know I'll be in a time squeeze.

I'm not sure how homework goes for your kids so this may not work. My kids get a week's worth of homework on Mondays. They have all week to finish it. My kids have to finish homework by Tuesday (it's very doable) so that I can check it on Wednesdays. All this is moot if you meant you're a teacher grading homework.

As for the chores. EVERYONE has chores in my house from my 7 year old on up. If they all chip in, that's less for me to do and we all help out.