Swimming?

So gym isn't a option for me at the moment, I broke my ankle beginning of this year pretty badly so been advice to stay away from certain exercises.

So swimming? I've got my costume and I'm ready for this but will it tone me up? Im planning on going at least 3 to 4x per week and then what little exercises I can at home.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    no "toning" - increase in endurance at the most.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It will burn cals and give you a good workout. but for toning your will need to lose fat while maintaining muscle. This can be done with diet and swimming, but you would benefit from adding in some resistance training as well.
  • choochymama
    choochymama Posts: 2 Member
    Swimming is great exercise. It will help tone you up depending on the intensity level. I lost 40 pounds 5 years ago with swimming as my main exercise. I worked up from 25 minutes, to 45 minutes 3 times/week. It can be dehydrating, so stay on top of the water consumption and it can also increase hunger!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    We have a group called "Swimmers!" come join us.
  • ellenrose750
    ellenrose750 Posts: 20 Member
    Thanks guys. Means alot. I'll check that group out thanks for that :smile:
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Swimming is a great exercise and it will tone you. You can also do other things while in the pool. You can do pushups on the side of the pool for example
  • ellenrose750
    Thanks Joanna.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    I broke my ankle over a year ago. Surgery with a plate and 8 screws. I've been going to PT for over a year and can finally run again! I hope you are seeing a physical therapist! Also look into aqua jogging! Good workout for ankle injury recovery! And yes swimming will help you to build muscle and endurance!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    If you think swimming can't 'tone' the body then check out the photos from Gethin Jones' swim transformation. In just 6wks he transformed his physical appearance and made significant improvements to his cardio fitness.
    Google for more pictures, info and the actual plan he followed but here's a brief summary... http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/showbiz/pictures-show-just-what-swimming-9362310
  • ellenrose750
    Joenali- yes I do have a PT, I also do stuff at home that she has told me to do. Its good to hear you are running again :)
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    I started swimming this summer and so resistence activities in the pool. I'm down 40 lbs and so much stronger I'm going to miss the pool in the fall.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    I sprained my ankle in April and I've been swimming instead of running. I feel great and my arms are more toned and muscular. I've continued to lose weight as well. Am loving it. Go for it!
  • tml0119
    tml0119 Posts: 7 Member
    I swim a couple of times a week - taking aerobic classes in the water with Styrofoam weights and also swiming laps (backstroke). It's great and tones and strengthens!
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    You can buy gloves that will increase the water resistance to your arms to increase toning. I also have a pair of flippers - I think they are called Zoomers - that are just a little longer than your foot. Again, more toning for your legs. You may have to wait on those until your ankle is better. You can do a lot of toning in the water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Being "toned" is simply a matter of having muscle and being lean enough for that muscle to show. Swimming in and of itself isn't going to do it...you have to cut body fat which is going to be more attributable to your diet. But swimming is great exercise and swimmers tend to have nice physiques...

460593aed499017ed621654b8c20faed.jpg

974323-australian-swimmers.jpg

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Swimming is a great workout. I also consider it a combination cardio resistance and it will help you tone. There's a great website called 0 - 1650 that has a lot of great swimming workouts.

Also I have bone-on-bone arthritis in my knee and one of my physical therapist a long time ago told me you can do any kind of exercise you we're doing on ground in a pool and it'll help you as far as taking stress off the joint. Of course you need to talk to your orthopedist or physical therapist as far as what's okay for you to do in a pool. But the health benefits are unbelievable
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited August 2016
    I've lost almost 100 pounds by swimming and CICO. My boobs have lifted, my core is strong and I get complimented on my arms all the time. And I'm 58 years old!
  • Anaaremade
    Anaaremade Posts: 23 Member
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    DanZiehm wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the comment above. Yes, swimming will provide some toning. Swimming is a great, low impact, full body workout.

I agree with Dan. I'm up to an hour a day, usually 4 times/week. My arms, shoulders, back, and legs are firming beautifully. Swimming is a resistance workout as you are pulling your body through the water. I also walk 5 km twice/week as an impact activity to protect my bone health.

I agree with them both. I've been swimming for about two months now. Not only do you get resistance (obviously, since your moving against the force of a large body of water), but you burn ALOT more calories than you would running. I've burned well over 1,000 kcal in 60 mins of swimming. And that is at a moderate pace. Trust that you will feel the "burn" when you begin your laps.

It's the only exercise I have stuck with and I don't have to sweat.