What's a good free weight workout for a beginner who wants to lift heavy?

Options
So I've had a gym membership for several months now and I'm not getting anything out of it. I am looking for advise on a good free weight routine and I want to lift heavy. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Replies

• Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I've never heard of it but I will definitely check it out. Thank you.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest stronglifts. the above linked group is excellent and has tons of support and resources (even for men)
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I recommend you first hire a very knowledgeable personal trainer to teach you right technique. You could really injure yourself if you are not familiar with proper form. The investment is well worth it.

I recommend training with a female trainer over age 35...they are generally a lot more knowledgeable and have experience with injuries and recovery.

For years, I would hurt my knees and lower back. I hired a trainer for 18 sessions and she fixed my form and taught me the mind/muscle connection.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I recommend you first hire a very knowledgeable personal trainer to teach you right technique. You could really injure yourself if you are not familiar with proper form. The investment is well worth it.

I recommend training with a female trainer over age 35...they are generally a lot more knowledgeable and have experience with injuries and recovery.

For years, I would hurt my knees and lower back. I hired a trainer for 18 sessions and she fixed my form and taught me the mind/muscle connection.

I've never had a trainer...or a injury. I watch lots of form videos and don't push too heavy too fast.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Like the above posters, I totally recommend Stronglifts 5x5. The women's group for Stronglifts here on MFP has lots of help docs to read to help you figure out how to make the program work for you (modifications if you aren't strong enough to do what the program calls for initially, etc). And the free app is awesome.
  • yogicathlete
    yogicathlete Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would do stronglifts until the volume of squatting gets to be too much to recover from between workouts and then switch over to 5/3/1...

Both programs are available for free...just google the names

and as the poster above mentioned....getting an experienced trainer an for a month or two to really help you dial in the technique would be huge.

Both the above programs use the same core lifts, so investing in mastering the technique early will pay a lot of dividends over the long term.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5!!!

Or Starting Strength!

I know that there are a lot of Stronglifts (SL) supporters here but Starting Strength (SS) actually preceded SL and there is evidence that Medhi actually "borrowed" (I won't say stole, although there are people who do) the idea from Mark Rippetoe and Bill Starr (who preceded Rip) but that's neither here nor there.

There are some important differences between SL and SS that are worth considering and Rip has written two well regarded books on lifting and programming that should be in any serious lifter's library.

Check it out!

• Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and advice, I'm excited about getting started.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5X5!!!

Or Starting Strength!

I know that there are a lot of Stronglifts (SL) supporters here but Starting Strength (SS) actually preceded SL and there is evidence that Medhi actually "borrowed" (I won't say stole, although there are people who do) the idea from Mark Rippetoe and Bill Starr (who preceded Rip) but that's neither here nor there.

There are some important differences between SL and SS that are worth considering and Rip has written two well regarded books on lifting and programming that should be in any serious lifter's library.

Check it out!

Medhi never said he invented 5x5. In fact he has always given credit to old school lifters like Bill Starr and Reg Park. Right on the SL 5x5 website:

History of StrongLifts 5×5 Stronglifts 5×5 is based on the 5×5 routine of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s mentor, Reg Park. Reg Park was the first guy to write about 5×5 in 1960. Many people have written about the 5×5 routine during the last 60 years, before I was even born. So I didn’t invent this :) I stumbled on the 5×5 routine in 2003. I was doing bodybuilding split routines at that time and got fed up training up to six times a week, spending two hours in the gym, hitting failure on each set, waking up sore every day, etc. Unfortunately I didn’t know any other way to train…

What he has done though is create a program that is easy to understand and utilize, with a great web site and now with a kickass app as well and given it away for free.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good list of programs that might be useful to you. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Medhi never said he invented 5x5. In fact he has always given credit to old school lifters like Bill Starr and Reg Park.

Obviously, you're a fan of SL. I was too until I switched to SS but there's really no need to be defensive about my remarks. As I said, "it's neither here nor there" but your quote from Medhi's site is useful to provide a background for those who are not familiar w/the history of SS and SL generally.

The purpose of my post, which you seemed to have missed, was primarily to point out that SS existed and that Rippetoe has written 2 books which are considered excellent resources that those new to (or even experienced in) lifting should read.

BTW, Rippetoe also has produced many articles and videos (many of which have been linked here) which are very informative with regard to lifting issues and techniques and he also has a very useful website and forum.

It's for individuals to decide whether they prefer one over the other but, if they don't know about both, they'll never be able to make that choice.

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Medhi never said he invented 5x5. In fact he has always given credit to old school lifters like Bill Starr and Reg Park.

Obviously, you're a fan of SL. I was too until I switched to SS but there's really no need to be defensive about my remarks. As I said, "it's neither here nor there" but your quote from Medhi's site is useful to provide a background for those who are not familiar w/the history of SS and SL generally.

The purpose of my post, which you seemed to have missed, was primarily to point out that SS existed and that Rippetoe has written 2 books which are considered excellent resources that those new to (or even experienced in) lifting should read.

BTW, Rippetoe also has produced many articles and videos (many of which have been linked here) which are very informative with regard to lifting issues and techniques and he also has a very useful website and forum.

It's for individuals to decide whether they prefer one over the other but, if they don't know about both, they'll never be able to make that choice.

I've bought and read Starting Strength and agree it is also a good program. I routinely suggest to people here SL 5x5 or Starting Strength or Wielder 5/3/1. I also like Icecream FItness 5x5, but I think even though he calls it a novice program, it is a lot of gym time compared to some others to start.

But, come on, you tossed in that comment about Medhi "stealing" the 5x5 program for a reason. I'm not defensive, I am not invested in what anyone else does. I just don't like passive aggressive *kitten* comments like that that tries to defame someone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts and Starting Strength. Nail the form down first and foremost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I vote for StrongLifts as well! I followed it for almost a year before moving on to a more intermediate program.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for videos of good form, I Mark Rippetoe has some really great ones on youtube. Just google his name and the name of the lift. He really breaks down how it should feel for you while you're doing it along with how it looks in the video. Super helpful. Here's the one for low bar squats (ignore the whole "Art of Manliness" thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM