Options
tazzle77
tazzle77 Posts: 9 Member
Hi all

new to MFP - based in the UK. Does this app really work?

be good to hear from others on their experiences, I moved to mpf from WW as hate the new smartpoints plan. Lost 3 stone on WW a few years ago but since then put it all back on and more. Now have 4 stone (56lbs) to lose

Feel free to add me as a friend. Be good to have some support and advice from others on this journey.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Like every other weight loss method, calorie counting works if you make it work. This means setting an appropriate calorie goal, weighing everything you eat and drink, checking every entry for errors before you log, logging everything, hitting goal consistently, no cheating, no forgetting: if you log exercise, eat back half those calories, no more.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like every other weight loss method, calorie counting works if you make it work. This means setting an appropriate calorie goal, weighing everything you eat and drink, checking every entry for errors before you log, logging everything, hitting goal consistently, no cheating, no forgetting: if you log exercise, eat back half those calories, no more.

This!
  • karrielynnhowardsternfan
    Options
    I want to be dedicated. Temptation is hard!
  • ykallam1
    ykallam1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone . I'm new here in MFP. I have been using it for a week now. I tried all sorts of diets but calorie counting works for me because I don't deprive myself from anything (just make sure I don't exceed my calorie target)
    I'm aiming at losing my postpartum weight and return to my pre marital weight. So I must lose 12 kgs. So far so good. I wish u all good luck!
  • tazzle77
    tazzle77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also do people here just make sure they don't exceed calories or do people make sure they don't exceed any of the nutrient maxims such as sugar, fat etc..
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All you have to do to lose weight, is to stick to your calorie goal, and to be able to do that, you have to feel fine with what you are eating. Some people can eat just about anything and feel fine, but most of us need to pay some attention to our diet and eat somewhat healthy to feel fine. A varied diet of mostly home cooked food made from real whole food ingredients usually takes care of that. I regard fat and protein goals as minimums, and disregard sugar.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    tazzle77 wrote: »
    Hi all

new to MFP - based in the UK. Does this app really work?

be good to hear from others on their experiences, I moved to mpf from WW as hate the new smartpoints plan. Lost 3 stone on WW a few years ago but since then put it all back on and more. Now have 4 stone (56lbs) to lose

Feel free to add me as a friend. Be good to have some support and advice from others on this journey.

Welcome aboard and Cheers! Yes, this app works. Like anything though, you have to set your mind to recording every meal, every day (whether your good or bad). Think about leaving your diary open to friends. It adds accountability, but in the end, your only accountable for yourself. And thank you for clarifying how much a "Stone" is. I hear a lot of Europeans use the term but never knew exactly what it meant. Good luck and again, welcome aboard!
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I want to be dedicated. Temptation is hard!

You can do it Karrie! Sure, it's fun sometimes to give into temptation but the real joy is having the strength to not give in. One meal at a time, one day at a time. :)
  • rlj70
    rlj70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Tazzle77. Im new to the forum but have been using MFP since late Oct of last year. MFP has been instrumental in helping me loose slightly over 30 lbs. I'm just a couple of lbs shy of my target weight of 175 lbs. I think Kommodevoran's advice is spot on. I like the point K makes about eating back no more than half of exercise cals is great; something I intend to incorporate myself. Good Luck!
  • rlj70
    rlj70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oops...misspelled "Kommodevaran"...apologies...
  • ykallam1
    Options
    tazzle77 wrote: »
    Also do people here just make sure they don't exceed calories or do people make sure they don't exceed any of the nutrient maxims such as sugar, fat etc..

Yes of course the app helps keep all the macronutrients balanced so it alerts you when u have exceeded your carb intake or not had enough proteins. I mean once in a while if I crave something sweet I take a tiny piece rather than deprive myself. I just keep it within my calorie range. Otherwise I stick to healthy non processed organic food.
  • ykallam1
    Options
    I read that 1 pound fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories. So to lose 1 pound per week, you must have a deficit of 3,500 calories per week which is 500 calorie deficit per day.
    So calculate your daily calorie requirement accord to your age, weight and height and deduct 500 to get your target calorie intake to lose 1 pound a week
    It's all maths, who knew ?
  • jeanelljohnson70
    jeanelljohnson70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that information... I will definitely try it. ;)