Has anyone had success with online training?

Options
I feel lost, and frustrated with my results. Did insanity, started bbg now. Goals are definition/toning

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't done online training, but many of us can put you in the right direction. Based on the other thread you are in, I assume your goal is a flat tummy?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have an online trainer. He posts here in the forums actually. He has helped me improve my lifting form, created an entire program to prep me for a powerlifting meet, and helps me with my diet. I think it's important for you to do research on your goals first...and to know the trainer and his or her credentials.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want online workouts or an actual trainer like ardita has? If you clarify that we can help more.
  • arditarose
    Options
    If you want definition, you need to have a low body fat percent and a decent amount of muscle. If you have fat, weight train in a deficit.

What is your body composition like right now?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have an online trainer. He posts here in the forums actually. He has helped me improve my lifting form, created an entire program to prep me for a powerlifting meet, and helps me with my diet. I think it's important for you to do research on your goals first...and to know the trainer and his or her credentials.

By chance does your trainer run the ETP group? Because if so, you have a fantastic online trainer.

Also, since I didn't answer the OP, I will say, just like real trainers, there will be good ones and bad ones.
  • arditarose
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

By chance does your trainer run the ETP group? Because if so, you have a fantastic online trainer.

Also, since I didn't answer the OP, I will say, just like real trainers, there will be good ones and bad ones.

Yep!

• nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want online workouts or an actual trainer like ardita has? If you clarify that we can help more.

I want an actual trainer. I feel like I really need a plan laid out..need the guidance
  • nitesky83
    nitesky83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't done online training, but many of us can put you in the right direction. Based on the other thread you are in, I assume your goal is a flat tummy?

Flat stomach is a goal, but more muscle throughout.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think there are pros and cons to live personal training vs online coaching.

Let me first disclose my biases, in that I used to be a personal trainer and I'm currently an online coach. And so consider that my reply is biased. But I'll try to be objective.

I think people who tend to lack motivation, and tend to feel a bit uncomfortable in a gym setting, are probably better off with a live personal trainer.

I think training in person is likely more efficient for learning how to perform certain lifts. Now in fairness a good online coach will ALSO help you with your lifting technique via video submissions/feeback, but it's generally less efficient vs doing this in person for obvious reasons.

I tend to find online coaching superior for educating clients, providing guidance, and even talking about behaviors/habits because I find that more often than not, people have a greater comfort level discussing things while they are in the privacy of their own home in a one-on-one setting compared to having those discussions in a crowded gym. On this particular item it could be my biases coming through.

Finally, online coaching and in person training both vary HEAVILY in terms of what the trainer can do for you but I'd speculate that in the online coaching realm the difference between good and not-so-good varies to an even larger extent than it does in person.

Yes there are good and bad trainers in gyms but even the bad ones are likely held to some manner of standard by the gym they are working in, and they at least have an education that meets some minimum standard by their training certification. Yes they could still be bad compared to another trainer, but I'd guess that the differences in the online universe are WAY larger.

There are online "coaches" who literally take your money and send you a program and macros and that's it. And that's not coaching, that's selling you a program and handing you numbers.

So in short, ask around, get some references and check out multiple coaches before you make a decision. Find out what they offer and whether or not you think it would be a good fit before you hand over any money.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    nitesky83 wrote: »

I want an actual trainer. I feel like I really need a plan laid out..need the guidance

Hey nitesky83! I've been working with Side Steel as my online trainer since Jan 2015. Online training has worked out really well for me. He's pretty fantastic and lays out plans clearly. He wrote a blog post about my progress a few months ago http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SideSteel/view/the-incredible-shrinking-woman-860168

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about online training or even working with Side Steel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Personally myself, I've always been a live trainer. Being able to help with correct form by just moving body parts of clients (IE, like pulling their shoulders back on row) with my hands, helps them to feel what's it's supposed to feel like when performing a certain exercise. Also, I know with me there, many clients just push harder through their workouts and usually are more committed to finishing. Whatever program we do that day, I write it down and/or send it to the client.
    I've not done any online training extensively, so I can't say much about it. However as Sidesteel has stated, I've seen the ones where they only charge you a minimum (say $19.99), and all they do is give you some exercises and tell you to eat some generic diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Personally myself, I've always been a live trainer. Being able to help with correct form by just moving body parts of clients (IE, like pulling their shoulders back on row) with my hands, helps them to feel what's it's supposed to feel like when performing a certain exercise. Also, I know with me there, many clients just push harder through their workouts and usually are more committed to finishing. Whatever program we do that day, I write it down and/or send it to the client.
    I've not done any online training extensively, so I can't say much about it. However as Sidesteel has stated, I've seen the ones where they only charge you a minimum (say $19.99), and all they do is give you some exercises and tell you to eat some generic diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I had an online client who sent me what she got from her previous "online coach" and she ended up with a completely templated program along with a meal plan. And the lifting program had another person's name on it meaning the coach forgot to change the name on the program, meaning it was a generic template she was sending to everyone.

And it was expensive.

LOL
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I work with an online trainer (hey, Sidesteel!) and personally prefer this to working with a trainer in person (which I've done a couple times). I like to do my workouts on my own schedule, at my own pace. The key to success with an online trainer is having a good fit and being very open with your trainer. Frankly, having an online trainer makes it easier for me to open up about my struggles/challenges/goals/successes -- all of it.

I've had a lot of success with SideSteel. My body composition has improved a lot, for one, and I started competing in powerlifting meets after joining up with him. He has coached me to multiple platform appearances, including two golds, and I've added hundreds of pounds to my lifts. Literally, hundreds. It's been amazing.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I feel like there may be a particular fanclub around here... (and rightfully so!)
  • psuLemon
    Options

So I know this is about an online coach, but I thought I would give you some advice or help point you in the direction until you connect with a coach.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when it means a flat stomach; body fat %, the amount of lean body mass you have, genetics (where you store fat) and your training (do you have an adequate plan to help you achieve low body fat). IIRC, I know your weight but I didn't see you post your height or any other information in the other thread. So if you would like to post details, we can steer you in the correct direction.
  • SideSteel
    Options

So I know this is about an online coach, but I thought I would give you some advice or help point you in the direction until you connect with a coach.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when it means a flat stomach; body fat %, the amount of lean body mass you have, genetics (where you store fat) and your training (do you have an adequate plan to help you achieve low body fat). IIRC, I know your weight but I didn't see you post your height or any other information in the other thread. So if you would like to post details, we can steer you in the correct direction.

Yup