Sadness and fatigue from diet

Options
I get fatigue and sadness when I start dieting. Anyone have any advice? Anyone experience the same thing?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have experienced fatigue and stress. I try to prevent it by not having an aggressive deficit, and by keeping my fat into at an appropriate level.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yeah - agreed with Rose my cause was too high a deficit and needing to play with protein/fat levels so I wasn't Hangry.

Just remember that dieting does by its very nature cause the body a bit of stress...if you have introduced exercise as well you may be feeling the effects of extra tiredness from the new activity levels, this will pass as your strength and endurance increase.

If it doesn't resolve quickly maybe reassessing the amount you are aiming to lose each week and drop it back so you have more calories. Most people here start out aiming for the 2 lb per week loss rate due to, well impatience (that's perfectly natural) but depending on how much you need to lose the rate should be altered.

This can be a long road and I think people have better chances of success long term if they eat as much as they can while still losing weight at a steady rate. This way you are less likely to burn out and give up.
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would agree. You need a certain amount of protein and fats to keep you feeling full, and your brain needs both Omega-3's (whether from plant source, like flax or from fish--salmon is best), as well as a certain amount of carbohydrates. Many people cut back on things like the white potatoes when they're starting a healthier lifestyle (I despise the word "diet" when it's used in its typical deprivation sense), and while this is seen as a wise move, especially if they know they've not been portioning things out, potatoes carry trace minerals, particularly lithium, which helps mental health (and this may keep you from feeling down and out to begin with).

There is a caveat: if you choose to include white potatoes in your food choice list, make sure you eat the potato with the skin included (if in french fry or mashed form), or in baked form, because it's the skin that contains those minerals, and the rest is just starch. Also, the skin just plain adds flavor. :-) Of course, you do want to watch your portions and account for the potato's presence in your calorie allotment. :-)

Also, if you're a female still in your menstruation years, you'll want to be sure to get the kinds of healthy foods in your diet that promote mental health during that time of the month, anyway, and yes, you can include a square or two of dark chocolate, if choco is your BFF for a week. ;-)

Just my hints, anyway.

Blessings,
    Kat ^.^
  • carolynelaurino993
    Options
    Thanks for your hell everyone!!
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I find that I get tired when I don't get enough protein in
  • myrtlebeachgirl123
    Options
    It's usually a combination of withdraw from high carbs and process foods and/or sugars etc. Also need to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats and some carbs with still eating enough calories. Bragg's Apple Cider Vin. 2 tbsp mixed with alot of water, ice, and drink with a straw once a day helps keep my natural energy up.....and helps with debloating (and detoxing) so I'm not withdrawing from the crap I ate as long...it helps!~ <3 Just know it gets better!!
  • aripley
    aripley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Change is hard! In my experience, even a positive change is a type of loss. As I lose weight, it's almost as if I am grieving for my former life and my former self. And in my experience, dieting can be really scary because I worry that I will fail and then feel even more badly about myself than I did when I started. Give yourself permission to experience these emotions and try to go easy on yourself, like the others are suggesting. Finding self compassion has been the hardest--but also most important--part of weight loss for me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Speaking of potatoes: I found at Wal-Mart bags of fingerling potatoes. They are about 50 grams each, in a wide variety of textures and colors. I regard them as perfectly sized for my food plan. I went months without potatoes before finding these.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If u like chocolate have it everyday I say as lomg as it fits! I found a bit of my depression n stress from 'dieting' was because I thought I couldn't eat what I wanted and was restricted to lean chicken salad for rest of life. Now I have what I want as long as it's counted. That gave me energy and psychological energy and stopped binges
  • sohifirefly
    sohifirefly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    If u like chocolate have it everyday I say as lomg as it fits! I found a bit of my depression n stress from 'dieting' was because I thought I couldn't eat what I wanted and was restricted to lean chicken salad for rest of life. Now I have what I want as long as it's counted. That gave me energy and psychological energy and stopped binges

Yes - this! If I try to be too extreme and cut out foods completely I find I am more prone to fail (give up). If I allow myself, in moderation, to eat everything AND track it while staying in my calorie goal then I have a better chance at success. My weight loss challenge is mental...it begins and ends in my mind.
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I struggle also but try each day or force myself each day cardio at least 60-90 min
    U tube free
    Dailyburn 12.99 a month
    Treadmill 65 min daily
    Runner or jog weather permitting
    Lift 8 pound weights
    Suffer depression and anxiety daily on mess and a thearpist