Runner's knee. Help!

Options
I've got a pretty bad case. I think a combination of running in shoes that were too big and also just weak knees.

My boyfriend (ran in college, says he's had it several times) says stop running until it feels better. My sister (half marathon runner also says she's had it) says the only way to get stronger is to keep running on it.

What do I do?

Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Rest, ibuprofen & ice. I have a very minor case and the coach at the triathlon store told me that if it hurts, don't run on it. If it's not terrible, but just a little sore, bicycle the rest of my training miles until it's healed. I double checked with my athletic trainer friend and she said all of the above plus add quad stretches to loosen things up. My personal trainer steered clear of the squats/lunges on Monday to give it some rest. (the first time we haven't squatted in prob 10 months) 3 professional sources agree with your boyfriend.

Good shoes are #1. I wouldn't wear those to run if they don't fit right. But we gave you that advice the other day too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    brimingus wrote: »
    I've got a pretty bad case. I think a combination of running in shoes that were too big and also just weak knees.

My boyfriend (ran in college, says he's had it several times) says stop running until it feels better. My sister (half marathon runner also says she's had it) says the only way to get stronger is to keep running on it.

What do I do?

Don't listen to your sister, one of the worst things we runners do is ignore small injuries until they become big ones (she's probably been one of the lucky exceptions).

Initially....Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation (RICE)

You then have to determine the cause. Footwear is a good place to start. Shoes have to fit well, if you have access to a running specialty shop go there and have your gait checked and see what they recommend. (I'm lucky, I wear a neutral shoe and have only had a few minor injuries)

It may sound counter-intuitive but much of what is referred to as runner's knee isn't your knee at all, it's weak hips or glutes or core.... here's a little reading.

runnersworld.com/start-running/the-most-common-walking-and-running-injuries

Cross train........ride your bike, go for a swim, lift weights. They all help you become a better, more injury resistant runner.

Take your time recovering and good luck!