What is your favorite soup?

Options
godsrose
godsrose Posts: 96 Member
What is your favorite low cal soup? I need something that I can fix and have on hand that is really good, low in calories and filling. I love soup, so if you could share your favorites with me and the recipe.

Thanks very much!

Replies

• ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just made this one the other night. It is delicious, easy and low-cal. And perfect for the season.

http://seasoned-luv.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-squash-and-corn-chowder.html
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love soup but I can't have it because of the sodium levels :-(

Even when I but the low sodium there is still so much.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all of Campbell's Select Harvest LIGHT soups... I believe most, if not ALL, of them are under 200 calories. They are heat & serve ready, but I always add more water just to have additional water intake.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump to put recipe in when i get home...
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I like the Progresso low sodium soups...however they are not as low as I would like them to be. I usually eat the Minestrone or Tomato Parmesan.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Nile Black Bean Soup!! Only 170 calories and soooo filling!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Chicken noodle soup (I use campbell's chicken broth plus water, roasted chicken meat, celery, carrots, egg noodles, and a bit of potato, sometimes some frozen peas right at the end).

Beef and vegetable stew (1.5 lb beef for stewing, brown on stove, add 1/2 c water and cook in oven at 300 for 2 hours. Then add 4 c water, carrots, celery, cook for 30 min before adding 1 small can tomato sauce, 1 T brown rice, cook another 30 min, add potatoes, cook 30 min more. There's a lot of adding as you go, it works ok to put it all in a crock pot - except potatoes - and let it go all day, add potatoes when there's 1 hour left but doesn't taste quite as good)
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup

Makes 8 Servings
    Per 1 Cup
    104 Cals; 13 Carbs; 5 Fat ; 243 Sodium

Butter - Salted, 3 tbsp
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.5 tsp
    Spices - Nutmeg, ground,
    Sweet potato - Cooked, boiled, without skin (Sweetpotato), 2 medium
    Imagine - Organic Vegetable Broth Low Sodium, 3 cup
    Carrot - Boiled Carrots, 3 cup
    Cream - Half and half,
    Spices - Salt, table, 0.5 tsp
    Marcum - Black Pepper-Coarse Ground, 1/4 tsp

BLEND!!
  • sm_wilson
    sm_wilson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes creamy tomato and red pepper soup! (Also just have creamy tomato) Only 100 calories per cup and very filling. Sooo good!
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Low-Fat Lemon Chicken Orzo at Panera. Yes, the sodium could kill you...but it's so good!
  • ColleenO111
    Options
    Any vegetable (frozen or fresh) seasoned, sauteed, then simmered in low sodium broth, and blended (magic bullet, regular blender, imersion blender, food processor) with greek yogurt, cottage cheese or even white beans make tasty, low calorie soups. My favorites are sweet potato and broccoli/cauliflower. Just make sure not to add too much broth or the soup is too thin, making it less satifying. These are also good chilled.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Any of the Campbell's Select Harvest soups are good. Most are lower in calories (besides the cream-based soups) and even come in "light" for an even lighter version of your favorite soups (All under 80 calories per serving.)

I really like the Savory Sausage and Vegetable (it's spicy and 180 calories per can) and Chicken with Whole Grain Pasta (good chicken noodle with 200 calories per can).

Progresso has a lot of light, low sodium, low fat, fiber-full soups too. They make the best Light New England Clam Chowder. (200 calories per can and its CREAM BASED!)
  • vidalia222
    vidalia222 Posts: 15
    Options
    I make a very unauthentic but very fast Pho which is really tasty and satisfying.

300g good quality steak, sliced very thinly
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 star anise
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 red chilli, finely sliced
    2 spring onions, sliced
    900ml chicken or beef stock
    350g rice noodles
    Handful bean sprouts, handful mint leaves, stems removed, handful coriander, chopped and lime wedge, to serve

Cook the noodles as directed on pack. Combine cinnamon stick, star anise, soy sauce and stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Turn down heat, add the steak slices and cook for 30 seconds until the meat is tender. Skim any fat off the top of the pan, and add the noodles.
    Then ladle into individual bowls and serve garnished with the mint, chilli, spring onion, beansprouts and coriander and a squeeze of lime.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    For summer, gazpacho: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/gazpacho-recipe/index.html

Delicious stuff, and make sure to leave it sit a good while and soak up the flavor.

Chilled borscht, another good summertime choice: http://localfoods.about.com/od/spring/r/ChilledBeetSoup.htm

And hot borscht, of course. It's delicious. There's a few recipes floating around for good beef borscht. I seem to have misplaced the link for mine. It's on a card at home :( I get it at a local deli here in the Lehigh Valley.

Also...Butternut squash soup

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/butternut-squash-soup-recipe/index.html

You can modify and use 1 tablespoon butter on a non-stick skillet. I don't recommend using margarine. Very helpful to have an immersion blender for this one.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I make a very unauthentic but very fast Pho which is really tasty and satisfying.

300g good quality steak, sliced very thinly
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 star anise
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 red chilli, finely sliced
    2 spring onions, sliced
    900ml chicken or beef stock
    350g rice noodles
    Handful bean sprouts, handful mint leaves, stems removed, handful coriander, chopped and lime wedge, to serve

Cook the noodles as directed on pack. Combine cinnamon stick, star anise, soy sauce and stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Turn down heat, add the steak slices and cook for 30 seconds until the meat is tender. Skim any fat off the top of the pan, and add the noodles.
    Then ladle into individual bowls and serve garnished with the mint, chilli, spring onion, beansprouts and coriander and a squeeze of lime.

Mmmm pho. This looks good.
  • Washington
    Washington Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually make the old favourite of mixed veg ............. sometimes adding some chicken bits for a different flavour but I have now fallen in love with a soup that I made by accident. I was having what I call a "fridge clear-out" the day before a big shop.

I found half a red pepper, a quarter of green pepper and three or four mushrooms that in normal circumstances I would have tipped in the bin. I chopped all these up with a little onion and a few rings of leek. Next I added a squashy tomato only fit for cooking with. You can use whatever you have to hand (left-overs etc) but the red pepper is the base of the soup that gives it the special taste.

I dry fried all ingredients in a non-stick fry pan til onions were golden and peppers were soft then transferred to a large pot. Added a couple of pints of water and a veg stock cube ....added the usual salt and pepper to taste but also added a generous amount of paprika powder. Boil and simmer for an hour or so, blitz with a hand blender til smooth ............... yummy.

For those of you watching sodium/salt etc leave out the stock cube and go easy on the salt (maybe add some mixed herbs instead). I split into individual portions and freeze until I need it.

Low on calories, high in vitamins and easy on the pocket. I haven't bought a can/packet of soup for 20 years. Making your own is sooooo simple and you know what has gone into it. Frozen portions are defrosted and heated in minutes so convenient as well for those tied up with work/familes etc

Enjoy!!!!!
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love miso soup.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Latin Style Black Bean Soup!!!!!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Beef & Vegitable soup

Cook beef, then put all the following in a pot:
    Beef, carrots, corn, green beans & tomato juice.