Cardio Motivation

Options
Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated on the treadmill? I usually get bored after about 15 minutes. I've been trying both Netflix and Spotify, what so you guys do?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it may be more beneficial to find a cardio program you enjoy. I either do martial arts or HIIT style. Compliance is honestly the biggest factor to sticking with it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Turn up your running mix and don't stop until you're done. Sign up for and train for a race. A goal is a motivator. What do YOU do to get through the other mundane routines?

Get off the tread mill and run outdoors? Weather permitting. Outside running is more enjoyable.

Finally, you gotta do what you gotta do so just do it. Break up the treadmill run will a hills/random program?
  • Dwagner888
    Dwagner888 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good advice, thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just don't do it. I walked on the treadmill listening to a Mark Bell podcast though the other week.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Dwagner888 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated on the treadmill? I usually get bored after about 15 minutes. I've been trying both Netflix and Spotify, what so you guys do?

Do you vary your pace? Incline? Maybe add some 30-60 second all out sprints for variety? FWIW I do the majority of my cardio outside of the gym because the treadmill can be so boring.
  • ToneMastaG
    ToneMastaG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To me, the treadmill is the zen of my day. I intentionally forget I'm doing it until I can't ignore it anymore (I gradually increase speed and/or incline) then I take it as a challenge to push my self further.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Get off the treadmill and run in the real
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe do cardio in spurts? 10 minutes on the treadmill, lift a little, 10 more minutes, lift a little, another 10 minutes...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are horrible for me. So monotonous. I can run forever on a beautiful dirt trail out in the hills, but I have a hard time motivating myself indoors. But sometimes I have to use a treadmill. The best thing for me is to vary the pace and incline throughout the session. I do HIITs, which breaks up the boredom by changing the pace frequently. Try it and see if that helps. Otherwise, if running isn't your thing, consider other forms of cardio instead. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to stick with it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

Do you vary your pace? Incline? Maybe add some 30-60 second all out sprints for variety? FWIW I do the majority of my cardio outside of the gym because the treadmill can be so boring.

I agree with this. I mostly do mountain biking or trail running for my cardio. I use the gym primarily for weight training. The only cardio I do in the gym is basic warm up stuff.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I always post my distance and kcals in 30 minutes on Facebook afterwards. My motivation then is to show my friends that I'm sticking with it and improving.....helps me!!
  • Dwagner888
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, very insightful!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I enjoy both treadmill and outside, on the treadmill I put on my tunes and turn on the TV and catch up on a few shows while I am running. Running on treadmill I do not have to worry about bikes, kids, tripping on uneven concrete, or cars and dogs only had a dog come at me once. Don't get me wrong I enjoy running outside also. also inside I don't have to worry about extreme heat or cold. Also on tread mill I find it easier to do some interval training. Like was stated earlier I can hit the on button and totally just zone out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i love netflix
    it motivates me to go because i save a series an only watch it when i'm at the gym on the treadmill.

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I do an hour or so on the stationary bike everyday. I usually program it so the intensity varies throughout the hour, and I do random bursts of going all out for a minute or two to keep me going. Besides that.. just really good music. I put on some metal and just zone out in my own little happy place. Once I hit like 20 minutes in... the last 40 or so fly by like nothing.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Music for me is key. Good songs that get me pumped.
    Check email, research stuff on the web, read the threads on here lol
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why are you choosing to use the treadmill if you get bored quickly?

I use the treadmill because of hyperreactive airways and because it is a bit easier on my joints. I get through it by finding a Netflix show that I like and only watching it when I'm on the treadmill. I also put together a few YouTube playlists of good music that I only watch on the treadmill. Since that isn't working for you, my other suggestion would be trying to find audiobooks that you enjoy.

I'm never going to love the treadmill, but because it offers certain advantages which are important to me, I make it work. And it is better than the elliptical. *shudders*
  • Dwagner888
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i love netflix
    it motivates me to go because i save a series an only watch it when i'm at the gym on the treadmill.

That's an awesome idea!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Run outside instead. Nothing is more boring than running on the dreadmill.