How fast is normal on a treadmill?

Options
So I'm trying the C25K like alot of people on MFP. I understand that is important to work on speed as you go but can anyone tell me a good starting point on the treadmill? When I look at the people around me they are like at 6.0 and look like they are gliding but I think I would faint!

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    To be running I would say no lower than 4.5. You can technically walk it at 4.0 (or at least I can with the height of 5'8) which means to be running not just jogging I would need to be at 4.7-5.
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to do 3-3.5 for my walking and 5-5.5 for my running.
  • katmmcd
    katmmcd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just completed C25K and ran at 5.0 at the beginning, and gradually increased my speed to about 5.3-5.5. If possible, it really helps to mix in a few runs outside - that seemed to help increase my speed because there were some small hills mixed in. I just ran my first 5k on Saturday, and was surpised at how much faster I ran in an actual race than on the treadmill. I finished in 32.5 minutes, which isn't fast for most, but it was a good time for me.
  • momontherun829
    Options
    When I did the C25K program (which I LOVE and recommend highly!) I walked at 4.0 and ran at 6.0 most of the time. If I felt sluggish, I dropped my run speed to 5.7 or 5.8, and for the cool down I walked at 3.5 - 3.7.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Im only 5'4" and this is exactly where Im at as well. Depends on your height and fitness level as we are all different.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I typically run at 7.5-8.7 mph, but a guy at my gym runs at 10.0, so everyone is different. When I first started running on the treadmill I was running around 7.0 for 5k, I would go a little slower if I ran longer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Run at the pace that's just a little too fast to walk. For me, that was 5mph to start, and I inched my way up from there.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on your height..long legs vs shorter legs. I'm 5'7"- I found out this year I can't run anymore..but when I did..I warmed up walking at 4.0-4.5 and ran 6.0-6.5. I also did interval bursts at 8.0-9.0 for 30-60 seconds..then would walk a minute or so.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...usually no lower than 4.5 for a run/jog.

I am like you-- I see some of the other people's speeds at the gym and get so discouraged! But I rememberthat a lot of those people have been training for a really long time compared to my few weeks! i'm not doing C25K, but I'm almost at a 10-minute mile and can do 6.2 for a whole 2 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot to some people, but 2-3 months ago I couldn't even jog at 4.5 mph for even 1 minute! Keep chipping away and you'll surprise yourself. Good luck!
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oh and don't compare yourself to guys..my hubby can run as fast as the treadmill goes...like 12.0! Eeeek..that makes me faint watching him.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Im only 5'4" and this is exactly where Im at as well. Depends on your height and fitness level as we are all different.

Height has very little to do with how fast you can run. I am 5'6 and run at 7.5-8.5 (depending on distance) , the guy at my gym that runs 10.0, mentioned above, may be 5'8" at the tallest.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Same here @ 5', but Id just do what you feel is right and slowly increase over time if possible. I do think height has somewhat of an impact because being so short my legs have to move much quicker than someone that is taller and has a longer stride.....
  • nurselt22
    nurselt22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", too, and run at 5.5 for most of the run but the last mile I start challenging myself. On Monday, I ran 5.5 until the last mile then bumped it up to 5.8. It's been helping me increase my time and endurance.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i do 5 for walking and 9 for running. but thats in kilometers i think
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    You have to find what's best for you to start with. Don't kill yourself, but don't make it easy either. ;) I started at 5.5 a few months back and now I'm between 7.1 and 7.6 and will continue to push it higher. After a while, you'll be gliding along with the rest of the treadmill folks.
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I started running I was at a 4.5 on the treadmill and now I am up to a 5.5. I have been running for about a year. I found that when I incorporated sprints into my runs I was able to increase my speed on my regular runs. Do what is comfortable for you but make sure it is challenging.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Run at a speed that works for you. It's going to change as you become more fit. Do the talking test - if you can't complete a sentence without stopping to catch your breath then you're going too hard. If you can sing a whole song... you're going too easy. I've seen some people reference jogging vs running - but really there's no reason to make a distinction. Just move, let your body tell you when you're ready to kick it up a notch. A favorite passage of mine from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 3rd Edition":
    The debates about who’s a jogger and who’s a runner are endless and fierce, but they’re also pointless. Usually, the distinction is made in a condescending way, with running taken to be superior to jogging. Some runners like to puff themselves up by noting others’ speed and saying, “Oh, he’s just jogging.” Well, we’re all slower than someone else.

(cut out a bunch of discussion about perceived differences between running and jogging)

Okay, so what is the difference? There isn’t any. Jogging, running—call it what you want. You’ll know when you’re doing more than walking. Why have I spent all this time making this point? Because it’s easy for beginning runners to feel that what they’re doing isn’t important. Often, the people who make them feel that way the most are veteran runners, who forget what it’s like to take those first tentative steps. Their attitude can cause a lot of beginners to feel that there’s some standard they have to measure up to. There isn’t; the only one that matters is your own satisfaction.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I usually walk at 3.2 and jog at 5.2. Hopefully I can start running for longer periods of time!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I would say on average about 5 is a good pace.
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    So I am below everyone else lol I am 5'3 with shoes on! I walk at 3.0mph and run at 4.2mph. Everyone is different do what works for you! This has been working for me! I also repeat weeks and do it 4x a week instead of 3x.