Intermittent Fasting:Pros? Cons?

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bruja924 wrote: »
    Can it really help you lose weight faster??

No, not really. whether you spread your food out throughout the day or eat it all in one big meal, it is the calories in versus calorie out that matter and drive loss or gain.

This^

IF gives you another possible method for sticking to a diet. It's a great fit for many people.

Losing weight faster is going to come at a price. Your body needs enough protein, enough overall calories & strength training to help you maintain existing lean muscle mass.

Healthy weight loss should help you reduce your body fat %.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's whatever works for you. If I don't eat breakfast, I get dizzy and extremely crabby by 10am (I'm usually done eating by 6pm in the evening). It really depends on how early I wake up too, obviously, and when you exercise... I usually exercise 2 hours after waking up and it's a disaster if I don't eat anything beforehand.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »
    Fellow I know at work does this. Whole days not eating. Says he's 275+ pounds. And it aint muscle. Fill in any height you want, still overweight. (he's prob 5'10). Something else going on, I think...

Well, he may not be eating at work, but he could be bingeing at home...
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    AJF230 wrote: »
    Fellow I know at work does this. Whole days not eating. Says he's 275+ pounds. And it aint muscle. Fill in any height you want, still overweight. (he's prob 5'10). Something else going on, I think...

Well, he may not be eating at work, but he could be bingeing at home...

There are several aspects of IF and this guy may be eating just 1 meal at home. That may be what works for him.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I prefer IF, however, I would never tell anyone it's to "lose weight faster".

If it fits your lifestyle and goals, then it could work. If you're looking for a quickfix, probably not.

After doing IF for so long I just hate how I feel if I start the morning on a full stomach. I seriously feel it slows me down and retards my workouts. As others have mentioned, they have the opposite experience and feel 100% with some food in their belly before they pump out a workout.

You can try it. If you feel like crap or so moody everyone hates being around you because you're always hangry, then maybe you need those hearty bkfsts.

• chrmad
    chrmad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IF is awesome if you have the willpwoer for it. Have been doing it for most of this year.

Good video about fasting, for anyone interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I dont I think it is for me. My last meal of the day is usually around 5:00 or 6:00pm. I am in bed usually by 9:30ish. So for me not to eat till the next day at 11 or 12 I'm starving!

For most people after a few days you get used to that. If you don't try it, you will never know. Everyone (at least on this website) focuses on the weight loss aspect, but there are other benefits to intermittent fasting. In my opinion, for weight loss, the 5:2 is a good plan, for a general eating plan 16:8 is nice because it makes things simpler. There are lots of variations, research more and give it a try.

@ Bruja924 When do you eat after you wake up?
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I thought that IF would be hard, but I've found that most days I follow a IF pattern. I work nights so my schedule is all weird. I don't eat anything after midnight and then I will usually go home and go to sleep if I can. When I wake up a few hours later, I really have been quite busy and haven't eaten anything until close to dinner (5ish). Today for example, I ate a protein bar at 11:14pm last night as my last bit of food for yesterday. I haven't eaten anything yet today and it is 3 pm now. I've had a steady weight loss but that is from my calorie deficit and not from any sort of fasting.
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @ Bruja924 When do you eat after you wake up? [/quote]
    I Dont have a set time. Whenever I am hungry..
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm really considering doing this 16:8 eating plan. However, I really like my morning coffee with a tablespoon of creamer...is this ok or should the coffee be black?
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love IF. I am up at 5, workout at 6. Coffee at 7:30 and my first meal of the day at 1. A pretty good sized dinner at 7. 35 lbs down since January :)
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like it. Been an IF'er for 5 years or so. It just works so seamlessly with my lifestyle. To be honest I wasn't a typical "breakfast" eater before hand so this practice if-you-will fits like a glove. I will say I adapt my "eating window" to match my hunger signals. For the most part I do not get hungry until midday, say 3ish. Then I'll steadily eat right before I hit the sack which is usually around 10/11. That being said I'm not a slave to the clock. Meaning i won't stare at my meal at 2.55 pm if I'm hungry, that's counter productive and no common sense is being used there. The times are for guidance. The basic premises is to push your first meal back somewhat and eat within a window from that point. That's it. To touch on some pro's, while I'm fasting I find my energy is up, my all round performance in the gym is incredible, I've laser like focus for the majority of time I'm in the office, the fact that I don't have to think/prepare food for many hours after rising gives me freedom.. I could keep going. But like someone stated earlier this isn't for everyone. Try it out, get a feel for it by starting with a generous window if you don't like then stop doing it. Above all that, a calorie deficit needs to be met.
  • Bruja924
    Options
    I will try it! I stop eating around 6pm, I wake up around 6am the latest. If I eat my first meal at 10am that would mean I fasted for 16 hrs right??
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options
    I will try it! I stop eating around 6pm, I wake up around 6am the latest. If I eat my first meal at 10am that would mean I fasted for 16 hrs right??

That's right,16 hours. What time do you usually get to bed?
  • Bruja924
    Options

Anywhere from 9pm to Now.

• BodyzLanguage
    Options
    Right, maybe 7pm would be ideal. 6pm seems a tad bit too early. Unless you'll prefer to abstain from food at night vs the morning.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Anywhere from 9pm to Now.

That's pretty much what I do. I eat from 11-7 or 12-8 then sleep from 12-8 so have the fast is at night and half in the morning.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm really considering doing this 16:8 eating plan. However, I really like my morning coffee with a tablespoon of creamer...is this ok or should the coffee be black?

The main principle of the fasting is to keep your insulin levels low (as I understand it). So *technically* most will suggest to have it black. But, that being said, I personally use 40 cals of half and half and artificial sweetener in my coffee. Sometimes 50 cals is a number that is floated to stay under (no idea from what source). But I also think being sugar free is also important (for the insulin reasons). If you're going for the FULL benefits of IF. If you're just using it to help control your deficit, than yeah that's totally fine.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    For me, IF is the greatest thing ever.

Pros:
    Eat big satisfying meals
    Able to eat in pretty much any restaurant without restriction
    Able to be spontaneous
    Less work prepping breakfasts and lunches for work days
    Less cost buying or prepping breakfasts and lunches
    Almost zero daytime hunger while at work

Cons:
    Hard to maintain on the weekends when work isn't occupying my mind and my family is not on the same plan

The same pros apply to me and are why I do 5:2. I found that I do 16:8 naturally (was never a breakfast person), so I just added 5:2 to it. I find that yes, I lose weight faster, but not because IF is magical, but because IF helps me stay in the calorie deficit needed to lose weight for the above reasons that Zedeff mentioned. I still lose at the same rate I would have if I had a smaller deficit every day.